Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic Si - speedometer & tachometer don't work, and exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic Si - speedometer & tachometer don't work, and exhaust leak

Ok, first off I never owned a honda of any type. But that does not mean I'm stupid when is comes to cars. Just all of the cars I have owned have had 280+CID and go in a straight line. Lol. got a 92 si hatch givin to me with a "junk" motor. Dug into it and found the water pump had locked up and shredded the timing belt. New belt, pump, plugs and wires and it runs like a champ. But! Spedo is pegged, and tach says I'm turning 5500 rpm at 65mph in high gear. I don't know theses cars but I do know I'm not near that RMP. Car is bone stock. All the grounds look good and have been snugged down. With the Spedo and tach off at the same time I'm thinking I need a cluster. Car has 285,000 miles on it so it has some were and tear lol.

So, do I need to throw a cluster in it? Or dig a little more and see what the sensors are sending to the cluster?

This car is slow as a tax refund. Besides FI is there anyway to make any power out of Theses little 1.6s besides a swap?

I would like to say that this has to be the best handling car I ever drivin. This high mileage **** box feels like it on rails!! Auto-x could be fun with this little thing.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New 2 Hondas couple of ?s

One last thing, car has an exhaust leak somewhere under the heat shield at the motor. Would a CHEAP header off ebay withe new gaskets be a good fix? Or do I need to find a stock exhaust and new gaskets? Stock has been welded a time of two.

Not looking to make any more power here just looking to get away from the tractor sound.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IV read in magazines about how to make more power out an old civic, cam w/ adjustable gears, new exhaust including header, putting a tunable chip in the computer, a few other little things. I think they spent 2000$+ and got about 20 horses.

its absolutely not worth it, atleast to me. But these are probably the easiest modern car to motor swap. The better dual-cam engine has the exact same mounts, the wiring harness is interchangeable, etc. IV even read here that you can do it without a hoist.

depending on your area and your networking skills you can spend anywhere from like 1000+ on a b-series (dual cam) engine or less than 500$

Last edited by P-M-B,93EXsedan; 03-19-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: i noticed a spelling error. prolly one of many
Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

While FI is cheaper bang for buck imo these Honda engines are the fun-est left N/A you can build a pretty fun 250/165 b20v for around 3.5K if you spend right. the key is displacement, an 85x89mm set up with 12:5:1 comp ratio and the right cams+bolt on's and the most important is the tune afterwards. Not a basemap "chip" that's to get you to the tuner there are several tuning programs out there chrome being the cheapest and most common and Hondata being top of the line with their s300 EMS.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P-M-B,93EXsedan
IV read in magazines about how to make more power out an old civic, cam w/ adjustable gears, new exhaust including header, putting a tunable chip in the computer, a few other little things. I think they spent 2000$+ and got about 20 horses.

its absolutely not worth it, atleast to me. But these are probably the easiest modern car to motor swap. The better dual-cam engine has the exact same mounts, the wiring harness is interchangeable, etc. IV even read here that you can do it without a hoist.

depending on your area and your networking skills you can spend anywhere from like 1000+ on a b-series (dual cam) engine or less than 500$
LMFAO. I'll sell this mfer for 1000$ And make 800$ If that's the case.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm mostly worried about the cluster at this point. Any info besides ebay?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a for-sale section on this site and probably other forms. You might wanna check the wiring too, lots of ppl have had problems with their tachs/speedos, and it turned out to be wiring after they replaced the cluster. Plenty of how-to guides to troubleshoot and repair wiring. They're often set up for beginners too so dont let any sort of thoughts like "******* wiring I hate that **** its too complicated" get you down.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your cluster may be dead. Try a junkyard or ebay. Any 92-00 civic cluster will work, but obviously, you want one with a tach. Try to find a EX or Si model. Or look on eBay.

FI is the only thing to do to get a D series engine moving within a reasonable expense.