Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'92 Civic Si race car build

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 Civic Si race car build

Hey all,
Next weekend I'm starting on a project '92 Civic Si for a friend and don't know a whole lot about the car so I need some suggestions.

We're looking to race it - Auto-X and later road racing.
We want to upgrade the parts, but don't want to break the bank on new, high-end parts.

Here's what we need to start with:
* New clutch - I'm thinking Centerforce DF - sporty but still streetable
* New brakes - rear calipers are shot - any better setup from another car (ie Integra) bolt on? or other suggestions for an aftermarket setup that's not too expensive? Front brakes should be done too.
* Intake - depending on which category we want to start in, we might have to keep the intake looking stock - so maybe just stick with a drop-in K&N
* Exhaust - new header and pipe - any suggestions on diameter and length?
* Engine Tune-Up - Check trouble codes, new plugs, compression check, etc.. Anything I should specifically check for? Engine has 155K on it. Might be time for a rebuild.
* Anti-sway bars - reccommendations?

I appreciate any input....and some more info on this car (like the engine model, size, is the variable valve timing on this engine the same as VTEC?)

Also, any weak spots on this car that I should address?

thanks a bunch - Marc
Old 09-09-2004, 03:39 PM

Default Re: '92 Civic Si race car build (Ikazuchi)

Doh...looks like I posted in the wrong civic section.... any mods out there want to move this?

Thanks- Marc
Old 09-09-2004, 05:14 PM

Old 09-10-2004, 08:18 AM

bump

the brakes are my major question... any help?
Old 09-10-2004, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd suggest you learn more about autocrossing first (assuming you want to be competitive), you don't seem to know what you're doing at this point.

if you're not swapping the motor you'll likely want to stay in stock class or sts at most.

take a look at http://www.moutons.org for information on what you can and can't do to the car to meet those class requirements.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:26 AM
New User

IM Uncleben. He has a 92 Civic Si that he tracks. Btw Hello everyone. Been a while since Ive posted. /wave
Old 09-10-2004, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my suggestions:

- brakes - replace the busted calipers with rebuilt stockers from your local autoparts store, get some axxis ultimate brake pads, they're a great autox pad.

- clutch - do what you've got to do, but don't get a lightened flyhweel.

- intake - leave it stock

- exhaust - leave it stock

- engine - do what you've gotta do, but leave it stock

- sways - leave em stock

run in stock class until you think you've come to the limit of the car (your times for the day are all similar), this will take at least a full-season.

stock class allows you to upgrade brake pads, shocks, and tires. get some axxis ultimate brake pads, koni yellow shocks (use your old springs), and some azenis for your stock wheels.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ikazuchi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey all,
Next weekend I'm starting on a project '92 Civic Si for a friend and don't know a whole lot about the car so I need some suggestions.

We're looking to race it - Auto-X and later road racing.
We want to upgrade the parts, but don't want to break the bank on new, high-end parts.

Here's what we need to start with:
* New clutch - I'm thinking Centerforce DF - sporty but still streetable
* New brakes - rear calipers are shot - any better setup from another car (ie Integra) bolt on? or other suggestions for an aftermarket setup that's not too expensive? Front brakes should be done too.
* Intake - depending on which category we want to start in, we might have to keep the intake looking stock - so maybe just stick with a drop-in K&N
* Exhaust - new header and pipe - any suggestions on diameter and length?
* Engine Tune-Up - Check trouble codes, new plugs, compression check, etc.. Anything I should specifically check for? Engine has 155K on it. Might be time for a rebuild.
* Anti-sway bars - reccommendations?

I appreciate any input....and some more info on this car (like the engine model, size, is the variable valve timing on this engine the same as VTEC?)

Also, any weak spots on this car that I should address?

thanks a bunch - Marc</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good choice on getting an Si (maybe i'm just bias...)

I'll try and help you out as best I can.

The engine code for the car is D16Z6. It is a 1.6L with 125HP in stock form and is equipped with VTEC.

Clutch: I'm not too keen on what a good starting clutch is, so maybe someone else can help you with that.

Brakes: Integra GS-R or Type R brakes might help. I'm sure if you spend enough time on eBay or junk yards (with luck) you'll find a donor. Or you could just buy factory Si pieces. My brakes do a great job as they are, but then again, it's my daily driver.

Intake: So many options for this. However, as you said, you might need to decide what class you run in before deciding this option.

Exhaust: DC Sports makes a good header (i'm impressed with mine) and, from what I hear, Skunk2 has a great cat-back system. I'm hoping to swap out my Apex system for a Skunk2

Engine: CEL codes are posted in a sticky thread at the top of this forum. If you ever run into a problem, check it out. It's a great help. A '92 with 155k isn't that bad. Honda engines are known for longevity. I suggest just a basic tune up. Also, getting a Haynes manual is a great help. Mine was $15 new off of Amazon.com (or maybe it was Barnes and Noble...)

Anti-Sway bars: Eibach, i've heard, makes a good product, but i'm unsure of the price. If i'm not mistaken, Integra Type Rs and GS-Rs (I think) came with a factory bar. Can someone back me up on that?

It all really depends on what you wanna do with your car and how much you wanna spend. If you're on a small budget, don't follow my steps. MichaelJComputer made a good point a few posts above this. Hope this helps. Good luck with racing. I can't wait to build up another hatch for SCCA racing
Old 09-10-2004, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '92 Civic Si race car build (EH3Kid85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH3Kid85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hope this helps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No offense, but it doesn't help (aside from the info you gave him about the car). You failed to take in to consideration rules and the competitiveness of the vehicle. Losing is no fun...
Old 09-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Trial User

Default Re: '92 Civic Si race car build (MichaelJComputer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MichaelJComputer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No offense, but it doesn't help (aside from the info you gave him about the car). You failed to take in to consideration rules and the competitiveness of the vehicle. Losing is no fun...</TD></TR></TABLE>

None taken. You're right, I don't know anything about how auto-cross rules/regulations are. Of course, he didn't mention what class he'd be in, so it's hard to tell him what a good set up would be.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:41 AM

Default Re: (MichaelJComputer)

I appreciate the suggestions... but what I don't appreciate is you telling me I need to learn more about auto-x. I don't know much about this car but I've campaigned several cars in g-stock, esp and sts. I'm looking for all kinds of suggestions and then I'll decide what class we're going for and what parts are legal.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:48 AM

Default Re: (Ikazuchi)

My suggestion is to do what ever maintenance is necessary, and leave it stock. Performance parts will not yield better times for someone that's never autocrossed. Assuming your friend is fixing the car up for him to auto-x, and not for you.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:50 AM

Default Re: (wilsel)

We're both driving the car and we're both experienced auto crossers
Old 09-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ikazuchi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ikazuchi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We're both driving the car and we're both experienced auto crossers</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then why did you "plan" on making a freakishly outclassed car? Maybe you're masochistic, but I wouldn't want to be in SM w/ 125hp lugging the weight of an Si... An "experienced autocrosser" would know better...

Oh wait, I'm in SM w/ 140hp (but I'm about 200lbs lighter than an Si and I'm better prepped than you're stock suspensioned car)... Yes, I am masochistic too (until I get a new motor).