Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'92 Civic Rough Idle, Then Dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 Civic Rough Idle, Then Dies

So I figured I had a bad battery. My Civic will start from a jump "just fine". By "just fine" I mean the idle is awful and irregular when parked. Sometimes it's very low, sometimes it needs to be given gas to keep it alive. Turning on anything electrical will kill the car. At a low idle, the check battery and check engine lights come on. At least the check battery light goes off if it's given gas. So now I suspect the alternator. But then things get worse.

I figured I'd be able to limp the car up to the garage. But to do this, I have to stop frequently. I could BARELY keep the engine alive by clutching with the left foot, and braking weakly while giving it gas with the right. I'm not good at this, and it was difficult to bring the car to a stop braking very weakly, so I figured I'd try a new strategy.

Next traffic light, I pop it into neutral so I don't need to use the clutch. Then my left foot takes the brake while my right foot takes the gas. Each foot has to do only one thing. Should work great, right? So I plan to brake and give it gas at the same time. WHAM. IDLE PLUMMETS. I SLAM on the gas and the car is struggling to stay alive, but then dies. So I jump it, and try this process again, hoping it was bad luck. At the next traffic light, the same thing happens.

I'm hoping this is enough information for someone to give me a tip as to what's going on. I am not very car savvy, but I suspect that perhaps I have brake booster problems, or even worse, in addition to potential alternator problems.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Trial User

Default Re: '92 Civic Rough Idle, Then Dies

Did my post fall to the "avoid the newbie" axe? =(
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You prob have a massive vac leak- very possibly brake booster. Maybe multiple. Hold tb linkage steady w/screwdriver sticking up(after jumped). Use starter fluid by spraying in areas listening for a change in the rpm while listening for hissing vac leak. Once rpm changes w/addition of ether, you're getting warm.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by S2BumpsticksGSR
You prob have a massive vac leak- very possibly brake booster. Maybe multiple. Hold tb linkage steady w/screwdriver sticking up(after jumped). Use starter fluid by spraying in areas listening for a change in the rpm while listening for hissing vac leak. Once rpm changes w/addition of ether, you're getting warm.
Is the advice to hold fixed the cable which controls the throttle body linkage, and then spray...?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wedge something into linkage for a consistant rpm. Holding 1 rpm whether by foot or hand is nearly impossible, especially while pinpointing the leak. Yes listen/spray after
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by S2BumpsticksGSR
Wedge something into linkage for a consistant rpm. Holding 1 rpm whether by foot or hand is nearly impossible, especially while pinpointing the leak. Yes listen/spray after
I will respond and update this thread in a day or two. God, I hope my poor car isn't fucked. It has served me well. I hope it doesn't die.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hope so too, best of luck. While its running, take a reading on alternator- see what voltage its putting out. Check ground wires to harness, on pass side above trans, grnd to valve cover, trans to frame before startup. Clean connections to these grounds of rust/corrosion... let us know
Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 AM
Trial User

Alternator is putting out 11V. So I guess that's definitely shot.