Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion
Old 04-01-2015, 02:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

92 civic: right side suspension makes clunking noise, what is this??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 civic: right side suspension makes clunking noise, what is this??

Ok I'm in North Ohio = crappy roads. My 92 dx has 140k mi, has been lowered 1 5/8 for a year (tokicos & coilovers). put 16" rims w/ 205-45-16 on a few months ago. in the last month when i go over bumps in the road at any speed above 5 mph, i hear a loud clunk/knock like something is loose or worn out, coming from the right rear. well i had a bad wheelbearing on the right rear so I replaced it and also replaced the main right rear bushing w/ energy suspension one. the noise is still there and now the front right is doing the same noise. it almost sounds like the wheel is loose or a major piece of the susension is about to be falling off. Lugs and suspension bolts are all tight. I am not hearing any wheelbearing noise anymore so it is not that. and it is only the right side of the car..... any ideas??
thanks
Old 11-18-2002, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 civic: right side suspension makes clunking noise, what is this?? (teal_dx)

I'm guessing rear trailing arm bushing
Old 11-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 civic: right side suspension makes clunking noise, what is this?? (teal_dx)

It sounds to me as if your strut has gone bad. Usually when you have a clunking noise when going over bumps this is what it is. See if you can push down on the back of the right side of your car. If that is where you hear the noise coming from. Then try the left side. If the right side is easier to push down and makes a noise then most likely that is your problem. This is just a suggestion but worth a try.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could be your muffler/exhaust is hitting something.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 civic: right side suspension makes clunking noise, what is this?? (POS Hatchback)

I'm guessing rear trailing arm bushing
you mean the HUGE one with the pin going through it? that was the one i just replaced when i started to hear the noise from the rear, since then the noise has only gotten louder...
Old 11-18-2002, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 civic: right side suspension makes clunking noise, what is this?? (chainsaw)

could be your muffler/exhaust is hitting something.
It does sound similar to that and that is what I thought it may be at first, but now it is doing the exact same noise in the front and still in the back too
Old 11-18-2002, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 civic: right side suspension makes clunking noise, what is this?? (underpressure (wtbimport))

It sounds to me as if your strut has gone bad. Usually when you have a clunking noise when going over bumps this is what it is. See if you can push down on the back of the right side of your car. If that is where you hear the noise coming from. Then try the left side. If the right side is easier to push down and makes a noise then most likely that is your problem. This is just a suggestion but worth a try.
ive tried pushing on the bumpers on the car, and I didnt hear any noise, and the suspension barely moves, not bouncing up and down like a hoopty. I looked at the tokicos and there is no visual damage from the outside. i tried pushing just on the corner of the strut but then i remembered I have a civic and i dont want to crumple the fender but i think the strut theory is the best yet because itis the front and back that makes the noise but it is more of a wobbley clunk noise like something is loose.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:04 PM

its your bushing mang! Get it replaced!
Old 11-18-2002, 11:33 PM

Default Re: 92 civic: right side suspension makes clunking noise, what is this?? (Panda EK)

my front passenger side does this too, i had a bad wheel bearing and replaced it, then replaced some ball joints and outer tie rod, still does this. Could it be a lil bit of play in the inner tie rod? i mean there is about 1-2 mm of play.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:55 PM

Default Re: 92 civic: right side suspension makes clunking noise, what is this?? (Soulracer)

my del sol have this sound also, same place, right rear..........i still can't figure out wtf is wrong
it feels like the right rear is moving left and right, clunk clunk clunk

[Modified by intezn, 1:00 AM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-19-2002, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 civic: right side suspension makes clunking noise, what is this?? (intezn)

I figured it out, I had checked all bolts on the underside of the car and the 2 black bolts that bolt thru the wheel well at the top to hold the shock on. However I had not checked the bolt that screws onto the strut rod (?) at the top cause i didnt have an allen wrench. Well the right front was a couple turns loose, the right rear was tight but i torqued another 1/3 turn out of it. All wobbling clunky noises are gone Thanks for everybody's suggestions!
Old 11-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

woah woah woah

its MOST LIKELY the threaded part of the coilover wiggling around and hitting your tokicos....(sorry dont know the correct term)
remember when you put the threaded tube piece over the shocks? they gave you some rubber o rings to go around the shock so the coilovers fit snug...what might of happend is the o ring moved (like mine did) so that your coils dont fit snug around the shocks, so they can rattle while your springs flex

it really does no harm if this is the case, just go to a hardware store and buy like 4 o-rings for each shock.....then your coilovers will sit snug and still have some play without that clanging clunking noise

(haha DOH, must read all of the thread before i post next time) YAY!!!!!

[Modified by iTAKEthe5th, 2:25 PM 11/19/2002]