Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'92 Civic no spark...help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 Civic no spark...help...

A friend from work was driving home and called me to the rescue b/c her '92 Civic DX quit running on the way home. I have ruled out the timing belt and mechanical problems (180 psi compression at all 4 cylinders), fuel pump is working, injector connections have 12V on the hot wires and injector resistance is 11.8 ohms on all 4. With the diagnostic link bridged, the ECM does NOT have any error codes stored (engine light remains lit and does not blink). It has the 1.5L SOHC 16-valve without VTEC. I have established that there is no spark. Spark plugs look good (new) and the wires all measured 6.0 Kohms or less. The engine cranks, but no fire. I put an inductive timing light on the wires and it didn't pick up anything - no flash. After cranking it quite a bit, the spark plugs were saturated with gasoline (I take it that the fuel system is ok after seeing this??) So, my choices are primary coil (ignition control module, ICM, whatever you wanna call it), or the secondary coil (my bets are on this). I've never worked on Honda's before, so I would appreciate any input. Anything I should look for in this particular model? Anything unique to this model of car? Any advice whatsoever is appreciated...

Thanks,
Trav
Old 11-10-2002, 05:57 AM

Default Re: '92 Civic no spark...help... (CamryMan)

I am a trained Honda Tech. No spark conditions are usually cause by the Igniter and Ignition coil. They should be in the distributor. Civics are internal coil cars. Just go to your local dealer and tell them what car you have and that you need an igniter and coil for it. 9.9 out of 10 times when the car quits while driving this is the case. They are however expensive. It would be cheaper to install Auto Zone parts, but I don't recommend this. Try that, it should take care of the problem.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:11 AM

Default Re: '92 Civic no spark...help... (frknfast1)

I just got back from working on the car. The primary and secondary coil resistances are as specified - the coil is ok. I also checked the ICM resistance and voltage to the ICM and they were ok. Are there other measurements I can take on the ICM, aside from what's listed in the Hayne's manual. Unfortunately, my friend nor I have enough money to buy an igniter and I want to be absolutely positively sure this is the problem before I have her spend a lot of money. I also checked the TDC/CKP/CYP sensors and they were ok. I've checked every single fuse I could find. So, what else could be causing a no spark condition other than the coil, ICM, wires, cap, rotor, or plugs. I agree that it probably is the igniter, but I really, really need to be sure. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Trav