Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92' civic LX sedan build, Project Sleeping Beauty

Old 06-20-2013, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92' civic LX sedan build, Project Sleeping Beauty

Well, I've been poking around the forum for the past two weeks, then finally made an account last week and I figured it was time to commit to it and start a build thread, to help keep my plans organized, and to share with fellow Honda guys, so needless to say here I am.

Two weeks ago I traded my 95 Grand Cherokee for my 92 sedan, bone stock, under maintained, but running and driving (Better then my Cherokee, witch had some trans issues) with a run down interior, and poor exterior, scratches and dings, and some rust, and one piece of some "major-ish" damage, its not perfect, but I already love it, and the MPG, oh my god, it has been awesome! compared to my jeep witch got 13, and the ford I had before that that got 10, 40 has been absolutely amazing, it went from taking $20 a day to $10 a week, fishing trips cost 1/4 of what they regularly do, its been just so unbelievably awesome, especially being an unemployed teenager. All brokness aside, lets get on to the important part, the car! haha here she is, this is the first day I got her, right after the car wash.

She was a mess when I got her, dust for days, so much dust, the guy i got it from drove a lot of gravel roads, with the windows down, So much dust, I didn't even know what color the dash or anything really was it was so dusty, everything looked brown with a hint of red/purple, so of course the first thing I did was clean it, then i went driving up in the Trask near barney reservoir, three hours going up every random road and every steep hill looking for a party spot, windows down, dust blown in, there goes all my effort for cleaning, and we found it, up on a hill, awesome view.

After that I said F*** it, and left it dirty, I went up there almost every day for a while, while the dust and dirt built up, even a little mud, you'd be surprised where you could take a civic... leave it to a 17 year old who used to drive 4x4's and go wheeling to find that out haha.

Either way, the off Roading grew old quick, mainly due to how much **** i would catch due to looks, so I said screw it, and now it doesn't leave pavement.

Plans as of right now:

Interior:
Redo the interior black and blue, I've got some damage to the drivers door panel that I'm going to attempt to fix with fiber glass and resin, and then re wrap them all, and stain the dash and most of the interior pieces black.
new black carpet, racing seats, harness, ect

Motor:
Rebuilt D16Z6, forged internals, ported and polished head, turbo, Shooting for 300-350 WHP, (I kinda have a clue as to what I'm doing, but not really, its going to be a learning process for me, I want to do most of it myself also, its just not the same when you pay a shop to do your work, so I'm going to put in the time and effort to learn as much as I can and save as much as I can, if I'm home, I'm on Honda-tech, reading and absorbing, I've read a lot about turbo's and pretty much have an understanding of what I need, just no clue where to get any of it.)

Cornering/Stopping:
Koni/Ground Control suspension, STB's, sway bars, and full poly bushing kit, rear disk conversion, haven't read much into brakes but im assuming I can get bigger brake parts from Brembo or Wilwood ect.

Exterior:
I think as it sits I want to leave it looking like crap although down the road I might change my mind, I like the thought of a sleeper, I want them to think "its just some piece of **** Honda, no big deal" and I want it to burn like salt in an open cut when the "piece of **** civic" leaves them in the dust. That's also where the name "Sleeping Beauty" came from.

Sound:
I'm a pretty big fan of sound quality, and an even bigger fan of being able to share my music with anyone within a 20 block radius, I love bass, always have ever since I was little, the feeling of it pounding deep in your chest, man nothing can beat it, I have plans for sound, but I'm going to keep those hush hush until I've got it all figured out. Any way, its going to be loud, and its going to sound amazing, I'm not one of those kids that slaps a huge *** sub in his car and calls it good. I have friends like that, I grind my teeth every time I have to ride in their cars, the bass just drowns out everything else. It's absolutely horrible.

*sigh* believe it or not I've been at this since 12am, its now 2am, time to take a break and eat, I have no idea why im adding this, I'm just so severely tired that I'm just typing as I think, cereal time.

Alright, so yesterday I started some work, I picked up some all purpose degreaser, cost me $1 at the dollar tree, and I cleaned up my engine bay, I'm not done, but this was the first bottle/attempt

What I started with

This is what I ended with (I did not touch the motor, I rinsed it with my garden hose, sprayed it down with the cleaner, let it soak maybe 15 minutes, then rinsed, then went for one more cleaner soak and another rinse and called it good, I plan on giving it a little deeper of a clean soon and a mini tuck, hide whatever wires I can, If anyone has pictures or a DIY for tucking wires that would be awesome, I found one good write up, but the pictures were broken.

Turned out pretty good for not actually scrubbing it, I can't wait to see how much better it gets.

Today I began the quest for a dust free interior, not done, but made a big dent in it. Although I forgot to take some before pictures I do have a few during pics, but clearly no finished pics.

That's my drivers door panel, you can see the area up top where there is a hole in the panel

Pulled out all my seats other then mine lol, wish i had grabbed a picture of it before I removed the first layer of crap, there was so much dog food, change and dog hair everywhere, made $2.75 cleaning it out, and that's going to pay for more cleaners from the dollar tree.

My door jambs are pure dust, and this was the clean one, its also the only one I haven't spent any time on yet, I will probably spend another long day tomorrow cleaning and re running amp wires for an even cleaner look, when I first got it the were slopilly ran over the carpet and all over the floor, I did a quick fix for it, but its time to get it ran right, under the carpet, out of sight, out of mind.

More cleaning

Oh, I finally investigated the squeak, ever since I got it it squeaked, sounded like it was coming from the suspension, finally pulled off my tires to figure it out and.... bam.

That's the good looking side, so looks like I need a new rack and pinion, guess that would explain the loos steering, bad alignment, and poor handling.

well I think i have finally finished, that's where I'm at right now, let me know what you guys think!

Oh I almost forgot, here's the only "major" damage, How hard would it be to fix this?

Now I'm done.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 92' civic LX sedan build, Project Sleeping Beauty

Jesus, dude. That's one busted Civic. You've got your work cut out for you, that's for sure!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hi there man.. im pretty much doin the same project, i stay in South Africa but im Italian so my english some times might not be so good. i have a 95 eg civic sedan like you but its called a ballade here for some reason, but its got d15b3, the body is not so bad just try keeping it from rusting. i hope it all goes well for you have fun with it
Old 06-20-2013, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never seen red/maroon interior in anything older than 1991. Very odd to see. Goodluck saving the car and bringing it back to life.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the 92 95 sedans came with terrible red interior on some. LOL...odd isn't the word it is just awful lol..

I would love to see this build get done but wowsers thats alot of work needs to be done.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Damn....good luck putting this back to together. You'll need it.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its really not as bad as it seems, all the interior is there, i just have it out for a deep cleaning, it should not take to much for the interior repair, it should only cost me about $100 bucks assuming i can get a decent jy carpet, and can repair the damage to the drivers door panel and re wrap them, if i end up getting all 4 from a junk yard its only going to go up a little in price, this isnt the first time ive restored an interior, i did it with my rusted out 78 k10, had to find 90% of the panels, i dont forsee it taking much for the civic.

But it will be awesome being able tk say i toom it from this, to completely outrageously awesome.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How hard is it to do an a/c delete? Can i just take it all off, or do i need a shorter belt or some sort of block off plate?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:49 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Delete A/C for what? Weight savings?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
I would love to see this build get done but wowsers thats alot of work needs to be done.
Agreed
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A/C is your friend when you least expect. I spent the extra money when I did my swap just to keep the AC.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i just drive windows down, but also ill need it gone for my turbo, and it doesnt even work on my car
Old 06-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I Just bought mine too! 95' DX Sedan with AC and d15b7, automatic with the gold badges.

Love this car too, getting 50mpg! coming from my 11mpg cobra needing 93 octane I'v saved 300$ so far!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Looks like a flood-damaged car to me. You will be lucky to not deal with electrical issues in a year or two.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Looks like a flood-damaged car to me. You will be lucky to not deal with electrical issues in a year or two.
what makes it look flood damaged?
Old 06-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a 89 hyundai excel where i grew up in that part of the country and it looked about the same as this car and it wasn't a victim of flooding. It just looks like a bit of cosmetic damage on the outside and alot of pet fur and mud gathered up in the car and had a meeting. I could imagine if the car got detailed on the inside it wouldn't look too bad considering the color.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lots of dust, the guy i got it from did like a 90 mile paper route with it mostly on gravel roads with the windows down, and he owned dogs, the mud is from me, because i drove it through mud, on purpose, this looks a million times better then from the day i got it, so much dust you could not even see what color the interior was, and so much hair, and trash and dog food everywhere, its getting there, as of right now all the interior is back in and it looks a lot better, but theres still a lot of pet hair in the carpet that the vaccume wont suck out.

ill try to get some pictures of how it looks today, if the rain allows me too.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New update, I took my muffler off, all I did was unbolt to two bolts farthest back and pulled it off, it sounds so awesome! way better then an Ebay muffler or anything I've heard around me, really nice deep tone, sounds great. but with the removal of the muffler something else happen'd, witch I was not expecting due to the common nature of the D-series, POWER. it gained a lot of it, lots of bottom end, and a little bit of top end, it surprised the hell out of me, i was not expecting any power since all ive read about the D-series is that bolt on mods don't improve power as well as they would on other motors, hence why i was not expecting any gain, especially since all I did was take off the muffler. Call me crazy but the power is there, even my buddy who has only ridden in the car, never driven it noticed that it got up better, and threw him in his seat harder.

ALSO, I may have found my D16Z6 for my build, but thats hush hush haha
Old 06-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright more info on the D16, been rebuilt 12k ago but auto tranny, can i put a LX D15 manual on a D16Z6?
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your muffler was probably all plugged up and falling apart. Probably can breathe better now.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright well I went to pick n pull the other day, I grabbed a nicer shift *** and a really clean shift boot, and I also grabbed the panel that needs replacing under my drivers side taillight, and began pulling it apart.

New panel, in good condition, no dents or damage, could not find one that matched my body color but it doesn't really matter since ill be painting it anyway.

old panel out, sucked getting it all out, whoever attempted the last repair sealed everything with silicone so I had to cut it all away.

Pulled the tail light out... ****... this thing was hit way harder then it looked, im thinking thats not the original light, and i think the bumper probably got replaced to, got my work cut out for me now. still chuggin away though

it doesnt look good, but I have hopes that i can get it all to line up again, only time and bondo will tell haha
Old 06-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

45 minute break while the sun moves between trees then back to work! got both my taillights out, the damaged panel out, and the good panel on the otherside out, using the good side as a reference, turns out the car was hit a lot harder then i thought on that side, but i should still be able to fix it.

aslo got the trunk carpet out, and the molded side pieces out, and sprayed down, drying in the sun, got all the big trash out, and vaccumed all the loose dust, as soon as the son goes down im going to wash it and start sanding, then painting, lots of surface rust to get cleaned and covered, hopefully that will keep it from rusting all the way through.

also got the engine bay cleaned way up and a lot of the wires tucked and hidden, up next is the AC system, completely ripping it out.

Thats all for the rest of today, hopefully the sun moves faster, but good thing it stays light till 10pm haha

Pictures to come!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, picture/update time!

This is what i started with when i started today

And after I took all my junk out.

Wow I had a lot of crap just tossed in the trunk... haha talk about junk in the trunk

Pulled up the center cover, and the side moldings, this is what i found, tons of crap, rust, and Tons of dust.

Got the carpet sprayed down and all clean, sitting out in the sun drying

not sure what that white **** is, think its spilled silicone

Then, finally, I vacuumed out all the loose dust then used my hose to spray out the rest. This is how it sits right now, all nice and clean. I decided to let it dry over night, then tomorrow im going to sand and paint it, then re-assemble, I am also going to attempt to ghetto fix my center piece as some of the wood is broken and rotted, so im going to use some stiff cardboard and some duct tape to do a temp fix till i get the money to do the 1/2" MDF floor.

also got the damaged area cleaned up, and some pics of it, and the good side, If anyone is feeling nice it would be awesome if someone could take out their drivers side tail light, and that little corner panel and snap a few good pics for me to use as a reference when I finally get to work straightening it out, turns out the civic got hit harder then i had originally thought.

Good side

bad side

Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lately I have been considering dumping the turbo D16 idea, and changing it out for a B16 swap, with mild bolt ons, Mainly due to me doing more research, at first i thought it would be cool to leave it looking like ****, build a turbo d16 and have a cool sleeper, BUT the issue with that idea is, if i go turbo im going to want to go all out, completely built motor, high power, lots of boost, ect... also ive become pretty fond of the idea of a Clean nice looking car, after research and talking with a few IRL friends i've pretty much tossed that idea because im broke, and have not even touched cash money in weeks, ive been putting change in my tank so i clearly have no money to do the turbo the way i would want, on another note, finding work as a 17 year old is a real PITA, lately ive seen a few B16's that need rebuilt floating around for 100-200, so i figured as soon as i manage to find some work (hopefully within the week) i can pick one up and get to work. SO as of right now, the plans are

body work (in progress)

Paint (have not settled on a color scheme yet.)

new rims and tires (the steelies i have have some brand new tires on them but they suck, they dont grip very well and have a lot of road noise)

Koni/GC suspension, Fully Poly bushing kit

rebuilt B16, balanced and such, cams, rebuilt head, header, exhaust, intake, intake manifold, tune, ect.

Still going to redo the interior black, have not decided on the accent color though, will probably decided as soon as i decided on a body color.

And I'm still thinking about what im going to do sound wise.

Man im tired, i took today and made it all about the civic, from when i got up to now, only took an hour break as the sun passed between trees (i have two trees that shade 90% of out property, but theres about an hour window when the sun moves between the two trees and hits the driveway directly and with it being like 95 today i just could not do it haha, and after dark i spent time researching more, and updating my build. Wish i could say tomorrow will be all about the car too, but i doubt it. its been pretty easy to work all day since my phone is broken and my friends cant get a hold of me to go do **** haha.

2:30 AM it is bed time, see you guys at the crack of 11:00 AM haha
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pulled the whole interior out yesterday to wash the carpet, run some new RCA's and permanently run the power wire, plus deep clean all the dust. here comes pics
Messy *** carpet, Gross

Half way there, not looking to bad under it so far...

All out, and not as bad as i figured it would be, Ooooh look MONEY!!! WHOOO a whole 65 cents!

Carpet out in the sun drying, looks much better then it did, i sprayed it with the jet setting for almost an hour before it quite foaming up (im not sure why it got all sudsy i did not put any soap on it, figured it was from cleaners in the past or something) and all the water ran off clean.

Thats it for that, after i finish this update im going to go put it all back together.

Oh BAY PICS

Oh, What is this?

Forgot to include finished pics of the trunk!

Before:

After:

Teaser pic of my new rims

While digging through my Photobucket to find the pics i need i came across these...
I miss this thing... with i never got rid of it i hope someday after a few grand my civic will be as fast as, and handle as well as this thing did...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92' civic LX sedan build, Project Sleeping Beauty