Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 civic lx/d15b7 - it's damn fast but gets poor mileage

Old 07-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 civic lx/d15b7 - it's damn fast but gets poor mileage

Hi guys, yeah I'm new here and i'm not perfect when it comes to this stuff so I figure hey let's ask these guys. Anyways I bought a 92 civic a couple months ago and i've had no issues with speed. The air intake is a spectre and I had to do a lot of cleaning under the hood because of it's age. I'm told this is supposed to be a slow engine though, but it's been damn fast. I do have an automatic but my 0-60 is below the 8 second range easily. I never have to floor it and tend to tap the gas, when i'm not paying attention it gets me in trouble (went 75 in a 55 and had to say my throttle was sticking to get out of it). I know the guy before me used it for racing and things of that nature but i'm almost positive the engine is a d15b7. I do get really crappy gas mileage (about 17mpg/24 highway). So my question is what's causing the abnormal performance in this car and really crappy gas mileage?
The exhaust is modified as well, not sure if that makes a real difference. The car behaves like when I hit a certain RPM it just takes off.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 92 civic lx question d15b7

Bad mileage:
-Pull the CEL codes and give her an ignition system tune up.
-Lay off the throttle pedal.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 92 civic lx question d15b7

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Bad mileage:
-Pull the CEL codes and give her an ignition system tune up.
-Lay off the throttle pedal.
okay, is this performance normal for that engine? and i'm doing a full one soon. Thank you for that. I just cleaned the intake as well (it was almost black and it's red lol)
Old 07-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 92 civic lx/d15b7 - it's damn fast but gets poor mileage

I've never heard of a fast D15b7. Maybe yours is the first.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Trial User

my girlfriend stomps the imaginary brake because I enjoy taking the back roads at 80. Maybe it isn't a D15b7, but the numbers on the side said it, but it seems the block isn't the same. So a 16 valve with a different block? i'd think that'd be a waste under normal circumstances
Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Trial User

I don't know, insight anyone else?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you ever driven a fast car? when driving like an idiot... ie.. flooring it, jack rabbit starts and taking back roads at 80mph youre going to get bad mpg. YOU could be driving a prius and chances are.. yeah you guessed it.... get bad gas mileage.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by eddieddie
have you ever driven a fast car? when driving like an idiot... ie.. flooring it, jack rabbit starts and taking back roads at 80mph youre going to get bad mpg. YOU could be driving a prius and chances are.. yeah you guessed it.... get bad gas mileage.
haha, that's not all the time, it does worse at those times and that's expected. I assure you I am an excellent driver and usually cautious, only really open it up when I know I have room to have some fun which is just this one stretch of road on the way to my girlfriends. I never floor the car, In owning it I've only done it maybe once or twice and that was just to hit see if I could max out the speedometer. We all do that at some point with our cars.

More power usually equals less miles to the gallon in most cases so I suppose it would make sense. I'm very tempted to try and make a video just to show you guys. i did a trip from Pittsburgh back to Philly and it required 2 tanks of gas on the turnpike, that's 300 miles, and I went 65 with cruise control on the entire time.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well what your describing could be vtec or you could just be feeling the motor hitting its power band. take a picture of your engine and post it. you could have a mini me swap.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by eddieddie
well what your describing could be vtec or you could just be feeling the motor hitting its power band. take a picture of your engine and post it. you could have a mini me swap.
motor hitting it's power band? and I can in the morning sure, it's kinda pitch black out it's 3 in the morning here.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure if trolling or srious
Old 07-22-2012, 01:40 AM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 lol, fast d15

OP is this your first car?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
X2 lol, fast d15

OP is this your first car?
Far from it. People can joke but i'm going to take a video later to prove this. I'm aware this motor should be crap basically but I'm not even sure that's what it's running. Again the previous owner did use it for racing but that's not what I intended to use it for so I didn't pry. I do know the modified exhaust, fuel system, and intake would have an impact though.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:34 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Uh. No it would NOT.

Is the engine built up internally?

Your poor gas mileage is due to your poor driving habits.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thomas Romspert
but it's been damn fast. I do have an automatic but my 0-60 is below the 8 second range easily.
8 second 0-60's are hardly "damn fast"

either way, keep the car under 60. I know you think going fast on backroads is cool now, however I can name at least 20-25 kids in the last 10 years that I know personally that are all gone because of car accidents.

We've all been young and dumb, some of us made it out, some of us didn't. Don't be one of the ones that didn't, and on the plus side....enjoy 32 mpg like your car should be getting.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get around 37 mpg in my auto b7 with good driving habits. It's fine power wise until you try to go up a hill. Then the lack of torque becomes apparent.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by strategy400
I get around 37 mpg in my auto b7 with good driving habits. It's fine power wise until you try to go up a hill. Then the lack of torque becomes apparent.
I live in pennsylvania, it's all hills here and it really doesn't choke. Yeah guys again I don't drive like ****, like i'm being perfectly honest. We've all had that stage where we speed constantly and have had our fun. I only do it now on that one stretch or on occasion the turnpike ( I have to take it alot).
Old 07-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Uh. No it would NOT.

Is the engine built up internally?

Your poor gas mileage is due to your poor driving habits.
x2 on the poor habits. if you step on it you WILL lose mpg
Old 07-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
8 second 0-60's are hardly "damn fast"

either way, keep the car under 60. I know you think going fast on backroads is cool now, however I can name at least 20-25 kids in the last 10 years that I know personally that are all gone because of car accidents.

We've all been young and dumb, some of us made it out, some of us didn't. Don't be one of the ones that didn't, and on the plus side....enjoy 32 mpg like your car should be getting.
x2 on the 0-60 being slow and x200000000 on the young an dumb, i have a cage in my neck due to flipping a convertible 350z at 160mph and it flipped because we drifted around the car and the rim dug itself into the ground causing us to flip 6 times ( i was not driving ) i fractured my c7 vertebrae and am happy to have made a full recovery without being paralyzed

drive fast but safe everyone
Old 07-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Thomas Romspert
I live in pennsylvania, it's all hills here and it really doesn't choke. Yeah guys again I don't drive like ****, like i'm being perfectly honest. We've all had that stage where we speed constantly and have had our fun. I only do it now on that one stretch or on occasion the turnpike ( I have to take it alot).
seems to me the hills affect mpg, i live in miami where its all flat with no hills so i would not know, but a tune up should do it unless if you have a miniscule gas leak causing you to lose your gas not waste it.

and x8 on the video! i had a y7 an it was slow as hell lol id love to see this "fast d15b7" just to see how fast it really is
Old 07-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98.4DR.EK.D16
seems to me the hills affect mpg, i live in miami where its all flat with no hills so i would not know, but a tune up should do it unless if you have a miniscule gas leak causing you to lose your gas not waste it.

and x8 on the video! i had a y7 an it was slow as hell lol id love to see this "fast d15b7" just to see how fast it really is
Just as a suggestion - if you click the " "+ " button next to someone's post, and then do a couple and on the last one you click "Quote post" it'll grab everyone's posts and wrap them in quote tags for you so you don't have to make three separate posts.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tastypotato
Just as a suggestion - if you click the " "+ " button next to someone's post, and then do a couple and on the last one you click "Quote post" it'll grab everyone's posts and wrap them in quote tags for you so you don't have to make three separate posts.
thanks for the suggestion! i didnt know about that feature and it will make things much easier
Old 07-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 98.4DR.EK.D16

The engine is built up internally I found out.Tracked down his number and called.He did some kind of swap but he couldn't remember what. He goes through cars like every 3 months and the abuse he put on the car is still evident. Works had me busy as hell or i'd have shown you guys a video already. still trying
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tell your girlfriend to record you
Old 07-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by oscarlx
tell your girlfriend to record you
Well that would be the idea lol. When I'm free in a couple days I will gladly post it. Considering I now have to use my phone as a speedometer it's going to be a video of that. by the time I get home it's typically pitch black.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 civic lx/d15b7 - it's damn fast but gets poor mileage