Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic having trouble idling

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic having trouble idling

When i start my car, at all; it idles down really really low and almost cuts off. Then it jumps up to about 2k if its cold, then once it warms up it idles at about 1500. Sometimes the idle drops down to 1k for a second, sometimes it jacks up to 2k for a lil while. Not really sure what the problem is. If its my iacv, do i need to buy a iacv from a b16a1, since thats what i have? Or will a iacv from a 92 civic si, which is what my car was originally work? Help plzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!

-Mike
Old 10-24-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: 92 Civic having trouble idling (mikeunreal)

bump, help me!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 05:29 PM

Default why is no one helping me

WHY IS NO ONE HELPING ME!!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is no one helping me (mikeunreal)

There seems to be lots of idle problems lately. I had one lately, but I solved mine with the help of HT. So here is what I suggest you do, cause it solved my problem.
First go to your local autozone or whatever, get some carb cleaner and spray it all over all your vacuum hoses. Your problem might be as simply as a vacuum leak. If thats not it, try cleaning you IAVC. If that doesnt work, chech out your FITV. That was actually my problem. Do a search and you will find how to take care of all of this. But there you go, start there.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: why is no one helping me (NoBottleJustThrottle)

where do the vaccum leaks mostly occur. where do i look. and why does it only let me post 5 threads in a 24 hour period. it says im on some trial thing or something for this forums.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: why is no one helping me (mikeunreal)

This sounds like a FITV. Pull it off, spray it with carb cleaner, wipe it off, and bolt it back on.

You might as well clean the IACV while you're at it.

The car may be hard to crank over at first, but that should fix the problem.

The reason you are a trial user is because you are new. It'll go away after about 2 active weeks on the forum. It's setup that way so you can't go off making 100000 topics a day, cluttering the forums.

Just about any question you have can be solved by using the search function.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is no one helping me (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This sounds like a FITV. Pull it off, spray it with carb cleaner, wipe it off, and bolt it back on.
You might as well clean the IACV while you're at it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have these mixed around.
Its the IACV that you would take off, spray, wipe and bolt back on. The FITV is different. There is a cover that you have to take off, then you have to screw this thing back with your fingers on the inside, blah blah blah. Again, all that can be found using the search function though.
Vacuum leaks can really occur anywhere. Just start spraying. Shouldnt take more than 10 minutes to determine if that is the problem.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: why is no one helping me (NoBottleJustThrottle)

My mistake.

Is it okay to go spraying carb cleaner all over your vacuum lines? It won't corrode them or anything?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is no one helping me (nota-eg)

No, go ahead. I sprayed almost an entire 19oz. can over mine. Carb cleaner is weird...it will sit there for a second or two, then evaporate. You're good to go. Anyone on this board will tell you to do the same thing.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:14 PM

i had a bad idling problem before, i checked all my vaccum lines and everything and still couldnt figure out what was going on, i went up to auto zone and they unhooked my IACV and that was it, so thank god my friend had a blown GSR and he said i could get it if i wanted to come take it off... so it would be a good idea to go to auto zone or o'rileys and see what they think about it and see what they can do to help... sometimes they arent all dipshits
Old 10-24-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (typeRrepEG)

Why not just get a can of carb cleaner and figure it out for yourself for free? Maybe spend like $25 on tools to fix the problem if you dont already have those tools.
I dont know, I am more of a DIYer. If you have money to throw away, I guess take it somewhere. But I can just hear a shop guy sayin: "ok, we'll take a look at it, and maybe an hour later ($70-100) we will find the problem. Then we are going to charge you up the *** for the new part, then money to install."
Old 10-24-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: (NoBottleJustThrottle)

i cant run with my iacv unplugged. I get a cel and when the car starts it almost stals it idles down so bad.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: (mikeunreal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikeunreal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cant run with my iacv unplugged. I get a cel and when the car starts it almost stals it idles down so bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol, bolt it back up and go to an autostore for some carb cleaner, bud.

Without the IACV you have a hole in the back of your intake manifold that lets air in. For idle you only want a little air (the IACV controls the amount of air supposed to go in, but it is probably clogged, causing the motor to idle funny).

Bolt the IACV back up, pull the fuse to the ECU to get rid of the stored CEL, and go get a can of carb cleaner.

When you get home unbolt the IACV, spray it on the two holes on it, and then wipe the excess off. Bolt it back up and start the car.

Start the car and let it start warming up (if it's not warm already). See if that fixed your idle problem. If that is not it I would start to check the vacuum lines.

I've never had a VAC problem, but I assume you spray the stuff on and look for air bubbles.