Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic Hatchback - Brake Pads and rotors

Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are good brake pads? OEM or something from like autozone or advanced brake pads?

What are good rotors? I was thinking of buy drilled and slotted front rotors? Whats a good brand?

Last edited by Former User; 03-10-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 92 Civic Hatchback Brake Pads

Originally Posted by jasmin92993
What are good brake pads? OEM or something from like autozone or advanced brake pads?
?? Just for street driving?

Try rockauto.com. I like power stop Z16 evo pads for street use. They sell them cheap, they're ceramic so they don't dust so bad, and they actually stop the car...which is unlike the parts store junk. Buying new rotors is a recommendation as well.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends what you want the pads for, racing, DD, etc..

For a DD most brake pads anywhere will be OK but if you do go to autozone etc the ceramic seam like a lot better quality and wont leave as much brake dust on the wheels. Most places like autozone offer a lifetime warranty as well.

I like using OEM parts or ebc etc for competition use but that's just my preference.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
?? Just for street driving?

Try rockauto.com. I like power stop Z16 evo pads for street use. They sell them cheap, they're ceramic so they don't dust so bad, and they actually stop the car...which is unlike the parts store junk. Buying new rotors is a recommendation as well.
Haha I must have been posting at the same time.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 92 Civic Hatchback - Brake Pads and rotors

Related threads merged.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was just looking at beck arnley rotors on partsgeek.com
Old 03-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its for my DD
Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hawk HPS with brembo blanks that's what I run on my SSFWD time attack car except with hawk blue pads. stops awesome
Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For DD most ceramic pads will be a good replacement and cost effective. You can also get new rotors for around $20-25 each AND pads are around $25-40 depending on brand. Usually pads if ceramic will have lifetime warranty and rotors will have 2 year warranty. So technically after purchase you can replace your brakes every 2 years. (once new rotors are received for warranty a new warranty begins)

Really a best bang for your buck on a DD
Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 PM

Again.....rockauto.com.

You can probably find centric blanks for like $12 or something crazy. And power stop pads for around $25ish. Those are guesses....but....for reals. It's cheap. They even sell packages with pads and rotors.

Parts store pads are so awful. Even the "top of the line" ceramics are awful. They can barely stop bicycles and they're overpriced.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ I do agree with you, but it works and its local and most likely in stock. I myself don't shop at autozone etc but it will work for DD.

Funny thing is we don't even know what car it's for lol. If it's for a 92-95 civic hatchback cx stock then any reputable brand pads will work no problem.

$80 or less for front brakes lifetime warranty is overpriced?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Sounds like OP could benefit from reading this thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bfaq%5D-your-guide-buying-quality-aftermarket-maintenance-parts-your-civic-3114911/

Relevant info:
  • Nissin or Sumitomo for brake pads & parts (OEM = Nissin), but some mfrs rebrand Nissin ones and sell for less - check the part description always. You may also want to check out "New World Friction" pads which are Made in Canada(!!!), and are priced affordably here.
  • Brembo for rotors (there's a LOT of crap rotors out there - don't skimp out on your brakes, and don't waste your money on gimmicks like drilled or slotted). ***NOTE***: After some discussion on the following page, it appears as though Brembo has moved their production to China also, so I no longer know who to recommend for a premium brand. Possibly, however, as a non-Chinese mfr'd alternative, check out VGX, which are a premium brand mfr'd in Brazil from Brazilian steel, but untested by me. Prices are very affordable, though (~$20/rotor).
Old 03-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate ceramic pads on a daily. http://firstgeargarage.com/blog/brak...etallic-manly/
Old 03-11-2014, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by ej1b18c1

$80 or less for front brakes lifetime warranty is overpriced?
Yes. If I told you I'd sell you total junk for $80...but I'd "lifetime warranty" it, it's still a rip off. Why would you want to live with crappy brakes for the rest of your life? Sounds like a jail sentence. He's not going to go thru brakes every 5 days. They're probably going to last a while. I'd rather have something decent.

If I can buy better brakes elsewhere for less than half the price....ofcourse its a better deal. I don't care about a lifetime warranty. The better and cheaper brakes work better and last longer.

Id rather have better brakes (especially if they're significantly cheaper) rather than a life sentence of barely adequate stopping. DD's still need adequete stopping. I used parts store ceramics on my EM1 and it felt dangerous. The car had trouble stopping from 80mph. Other people have had similar experiences in similar cars.

Last edited by B serious; 03-11-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
Have you ever used parts store semi metallic pads? They're worse than parts store ceramic pads.

There are "performance" ceramic pads out there that work great for daily driving.....even if you drive the car hard.

My TSX has the power stop pads I was talking about and it stops fade free. My S2000's street setup is also the same powerstop ceramics (I switch to Carbotech....which are also ceramic based.....for race track use). My GF's 8th gen Si DD also has the same pads. All those cars stop fade free even if I drive them hard.

Semi metallic street pads are decent too...and apples to apples probably do have a little more fade resistance and definitely have more bite. But the dust is out of control.

Either way, you can buy some sort of quality semi metallics and you'd be happy if you can deal with the short life and the dust.

Aramid is a good material choice if you want performance....but you want dust that washes off. Stoptech street performance, for example. I put those on my girlfriend's AP2. They work great on the street (total over kill), and even work for light track duty.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong
Sounds like OP could benefit from reading this thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3114911

Relevant info:
This didn't get enough attention. Also, this question isn't specific to the model. Read through some posts in the suspension/brakes sub-forum.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/
Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So is the material different between the pads or what's your case with store brand pads vs rockauto products they sell? Look just as "cheap" as store brand. I'm not doubting you, it's more of a question to figure out what the difference is. Sounds more biased to me more than anything.

I've been a tech for over a decade with firestone, Honda, midas, and goodyear and install store brand brake pads A LOT and we don't ever have an issue.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

For pads, my Honda Tech friend really recommends Akebono pads. For my econobox car they didn't offer a performance/street upgrade but so far I've been very impressed with their OEM equivalent (premium) ceramic replacement pads they do offer for my small front disk brakes. Great stopping power and none of the usual heat fade of metallic pads.

As for rotors, I'm interested in learning who makes quality rotors for an affordable price. I'm in need of new rotors.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by ej1b18c1
So is the material different between the pads or what's your case with store brand pads vs rockauto products they sell? Look just as "cheap" as store brand. I'm not doubting you, it's more of a question to figure out what the difference is. Sounds more biased to me more than anything.

I've been a tech for over a decade with firestone, Honda, midas, and goodyear and install store brand brake pads A LOT and we don't ever have an issue.
I suggested power stop pads as a specific brand. I don't know what makes the parts store stuff suck...but they suck.

You should know about customer cars though bud. As long as their beige camry reaches 45mph and they can stop it within 1 earth rotation, they don't care.

Stock Honda organic and ceramic pads have more "bite" than parts store pads. Nobody's gonna notice. Until they have to panic stop from highway speed. Then there's a huge difference.

The powerstops I suggested have great bite for a street ceramic pad. They also seem to take a considerable temp till they fade. I haven't glazed any rotors like I did with parts store pads...and my car stops consistently and smoothly. Dust is higher than parts store or "non performance" ceramic pads. But....it washes off easily.

You may not have PROBLEMS with parts store pads. But you can get better pads for less money that stop the car from highway speeds consistently and fade/glaze free. Pads can suck without there being problems noticed by people who take their cars to get the brakes done
Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a Local Napa auto parts go there. They carry a line called Altrom. It's not a brand but a supplier. They can get you Brembo "blank" rotors and Akebono or Nissin pads. Make sure you ask for ceramic pads. And tell them you want to know if they'll give you a wholesale discount. They usually will.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by import-tooner
If you have a Local Napa auto parts go there. They carry a line called Altrom. It's not a brand but a supplier. They can get you Brembo "blank" rotors and Akebono or Nissin pads. Make sure you ask for ceramic pads. And tell them you want to know if they'll give you a wholesale discount. They usually will.
Awesome, thank you.

Hoping the Brembo blanks aren't overly expensive.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Awesome, thank you.

They're not too bad. The reason I know this is because my family owns a group of NAPA stores so I sell the stuff. I'll check it and let you know how much you should expect to pay.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Awesome, thank you.

Got mine from Teknotik for 100$
Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B-serious, I get what your saying and probably varies on what quality brand is installed. We usually only order premium parts not the cheapest ones they got lol.

I do live in San Diego and deal with a lot of customers that drive back and forth from Los Angeles and we have major TRAFFIC! from high speeds to dead stops on freeways especially in LA.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Brembo has moved their production to China, so you should no longer consider these a premium brand. No longer made in Europe.

Check out VGX for rotors. Brazilian made, from Brazilian steel. Excellent prices. Check here.

ALSO READ THIS THREAD: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3114911

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 Civic Hatchback - Brake Pads and rotors