Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 CIVIC DX Engine Help!

Old 06-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Trial User

Default 92 CIVIC DX Engine Help!

Hey guys!

Having some weird intermittent engine issues with my 1992 Civic DX hatchback- just hit 100,000 miles. It always starts up fine. The engine starts stuttering/jerking like it's about to die (occasionally it does) when I am in reverse or idling at a stoplight with my foot on the brake- at any temperature. It also occasionally happens while accelerating up hills. The engine seems to calm when idling in park but it still runs a little rough.

Timing belt and all belts were changed at 95k.

Starter replaced last year.

Spark plugs were cleaned but not replaced. All fluids seem fine.

Run fine most of the time, but seems to be getting worse.

Grateful for any help!
Old 06-07-2019, 05:13 AM
Intelligently Stupid

Default Re: 92 CIVIC DX Engine Help!

The first thing I would try is a tune up (new plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap). And then I would also do a valve lash adjustment.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean the IACV.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What TomCat said. A set of new plugs is about $12, there's little reason to put old ones back in. The stock type copper plugs are supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles. People have had bad results with platinum plugs. Continue to use the stock NGK V-Power and replace periodically.

I would add clean the IACV to his list. Misfiring while pressing hard on the gas is not the IACV though.

A lot of spark problems are caused by bad spark wires. There's no certain way to tell they're not bad other than to try new ones. Find some NGK or OEM wires. The third-party brands from parts stores are generally lousy.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:38 AM
Trial User

Thanks so much! I believe distributor cap was actually replaced recently. I will replace the plugs and see where it's at.
Also- just noticed a large crack in the bottom of the muffler that has rusted. Perhaps this could be a part of the problem?

Old 06-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Intelligently Stupid

Not likely, the scavenging back pressure is already created by the catalytic converter so an exhaust leak that far down in the system will not likely have that significant effect on how the car runs as much as it will have an effect on how the car sounds.

If the exhaust that far down had that significant of an effect the larger 2.5 inch and 3 inch cat back exhausts would cause significant running issues with the pass through fart cans, but they don't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: