Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 civic d16y8 swap several problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 civic d16y8 swap several problems

ok, i just picked up a 92 civic VX hatch that has a d16y8 vtec swap in it. its still OBD1. it has a P07 ECU in it

i am having several issues with it. and yes the check engine light is on with several codes, i know 2 are the TPS and MAP sensors codes 5 & 7. not sure on the rest.

first at idle it will sit there and bounce from 800-1100 rpms, cant figure out why? i tried to replace the throttle body because the TPS was broken at the connector.

second sometimes at around 4000rpm about when vtec should kick in it just hesitates/pulses/stutters alot in 1st and 2nd, it kinda feels like someone is pushing in and out of the gas in 1st to make the car bounce, why is it doing this?

and third is the people that swapped it left the stock long geared d15 transmission in it and it is supposed to have a stage3 6puck clutch in it but you have to rev it really high to even get it to move and it wont even chirp the tires at all? never had a hydro tranny before so i dont know how they are supposed to act and all. is it supposed to be at 3000 rpms at 60mph in 3rd gear, i cant even go down the highway in 4th let alone 5th gear without it bogging out completely.if i was in 4th and had it floored on the flat highway at 60mph i would lose speed. also the clutch pedal doesnt come all the way back when i let off of it, it sticks a inch or so from coming all the way back. i want this car as a DD and i just cant drive it around town, cant even take off in second while rolling at a light without it bogging all the way out
Old 06-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 civic d16y8 swap several problems (DA9tegra)

i dont really know a whole lot about civics, always been into integras, just picked this one up for a DD cause the teg has to much money sunk into it.

heck i am about to pull this enigne and put a stock 1.5L back in it
Old 06-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA9tegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, i just picked up a 92 civic VX hatch that has a d16y8 vtec swap in it. its still OBD1. it has a P07 ECU in it

i am having several issues with it. and yes the check engine light is on with several codes, i know 2 are the TPS and MAP sensors codes 5 & 7. not sure on the rest.

first at idle it will sit there and bounce from 800-1100 rpms, cant figure out why? i tried to replace the throttle body because the TPS was broken at the connector.

second sometimes at around 4000rpm about when vtec should kick in it just hesitates/pulses/stutters alot in 1st and 2nd, it kinda feels like someone is pushing in and out of the gas in 1st to make the car bounce, why is it doing this?

and third is the people that swapped it left the stock long geared d15 transmission in it and it is supposed to have a stage3 6puck clutch in it but you have to rev it really high to even get it to move and it wont even chirp the tires at all? never had a hydro tranny before so i dont know how they are supposed to act and all. is it supposed to be at 3000 rpms at 60mph in 3rd gear, i cant even go down the highway in 4th let alone 5th gear without it bogging out completely.if i was in 4th and had it floored on the flat highway at 60mph i would lose speed. also the clutch pedal doesnt come all the way back when i let off of it, it sticks a inch or so from coming all the way back. i want this car as a DD and i just cant drive it around town, cant even take off in second while rolling at a light without it bogging all the way out</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your Idle surge is because of a broken IAC, or one that is not hooked up correctly.

As for your stuttering and stalling, those are TPS and MAP related most likely, they both have 3-wire plugs that are similiar, make sure you didnt mix them up.,
Also, broken 02sensors will mess up accelerations and cause bogging.

p07 is the WRONG ecu for that motor, the P2E is the Y8's ECU. Because you are running an OBD1 ecu on an OBD2 motor, things will go haywire. Your Dizzy wont run correcectly, which would expalin allot for you funky ignition, stuttering and hesitations.

Your poor clutch pedal feel is probably master/slave cylindar related. It needs to be bled
Old 06-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just went out and flipped the TPS and MAP connectors around and she idled way better right at 1000, and purred like a kitten, but once i blipped the throttle it would die, flipped the connectors back the way they and it bounces 800 to a lil over a 1000. a good chuck of my probs are wiring related probably.

i am going to try and bleed the clutch tommorow, always had cable clutches lol. how stiff should a six puck be? the clutch is supposed to be new, but i fear it is slipping pretty good.

also which ECU would you guys recommend for this swap, as far as i know its all wired for vtec, has a connector going into the vtec solenoid. also once it does get higher up in the RPMS around 4750-up the valvetrain gets really loud, almost like everything is just rattling in there
Old 06-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should use an OBD1 Vtec computer. I would recomend the p28, beacuse its for a 1.6liter VTEC. Also, make sure that your using an OBD1 dizzy on the motor itself, you cant just use the y8's stock distributer without a few slight modifications because there are slight differences in OBD1 motors (mainly Dizzy) and OBD2 motors.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA9tegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just went out and flipped the TPS and MAP connectors around and she idled way better right at 1000, and purred like a kitten, but once i blipped the throttle it would die, flipped the connectors back the way they and it bounces 800 to a lil over a 1000. a good chuck of my probs are wiring related probably.

i am going to try and bleed the clutch tommorow, always had cable clutches lol. how stiff should a six puck be? the clutch is supposed to be new, but i fear it is slipping pretty good.

also which ECU would you guys recommend for this swap, as far as i know its all wired for vtec, has a connector going into the vtec solenoid. also once it does get higher up in the RPMS around 4750-up the valvetrain gets really loud, almost like everything is just rattling in there</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also mixed up the TPS and MAP sensors when I swapped mine so mine did the same exact thing..

For the tapping the throttle, I would say advance the timing a little.. but that may not be the problem since its already idling at a reasonable rpm.. Make sure all the hoses and vaccum lines are connected that could also be your problem.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

what is the easiest way to find out what dizzy i have?

also i am least worried about vtec, the power doesnt mean everything to me i have the teg and bike for the speed part. i just want this car to run and drive good. anyway i can have it to where vtec never actually engages or tries to engage?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anymore help is appreciated