Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic AT clicks in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 92 Civic AT clicks in reverse

92 Civic Hatchback DX, 4-speed AT, 104K miles.

Moderately loud metallic clicking noise ("plink, plink, plink"; I think 1 or 2 plinks per wheel rotation) when I reverse AND wheels are turned (especially reversing to the right, and I think left also, e.g turning as backing out of garage).

* Noise is not temperature dependent.
* Noise is much less (perhaps not at all) when reversing straight.
* No noise when moving forward.

Thought it was the CV joint or bearing or something hitting the brake calipers, but mechanic today looked closely and he said noise is coming from transmission.

What could be wrong?
How bad ($) to get it fixed (not myself; shop, metro New York)?

I've owned & loved this car since it was new, and I figure it's cheaper to fix it than to buy a new one!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 92 Civic AT clicks in reverse

A bit more info, prompted by "sounds like a bad cv axle to me, will it make the sound if you drive forward and turn really sharp with a mild acceleration" on another Honda forum:

Tested again in (empty!) parking lot with steering wheel at full lock, and 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 turn off full lock. Low & "high" (~10 mph) speed, forward & reverse.

REV: Noise turning left or right; noise at lock & 1/4, 1/2 turn off; no noise at 3/4 turn off.
FOR: No noise at all that I can tell. If it's there, it's much quieter.

Sometimes the noise sounds like a somewhat deadened click, sometimes more like a hammer hitting metal. Turning left, about 14 clicks as car turns a full circle; turning right, about 19 clicks; the difference in click number seems reproducible. I also get a screech sometimes (brake caliper?), especially/mostly at full lock.

If it is the CV axle, is it left and/or right?
What should I tell the mechanic to fix? Too many visits with the mechanics saying nothing is wrong, so I want to be sure I point them unambiguously to the problem!

Thanks!