Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92-95 EG Hatch Headliner into 96-00 EK Hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 92-95 EG Hatch Headliner into 96-00 EK Hatch?

Hey Guys,

So I have to redo my Headliner on my 96-00 EK Hatch, but before I do it I wanted to see if anyone has tried putting the 92-95 EG Hatch Headliner into a 96-00 EK Hatch.

The reason I ask is because I was at the Junkyard today getting some parts and saw a few EG Hatchbacks there, upon looking at the Headliner and comparing it to the one on my EK Hatchback it seems that it will fit. However, I do not want to spend money on buying it and then it not fitting, you know? They dont have any EK Hatches at the Junkyard, if they did I would remove and test fit right there and then, but its not an option.

Another reason why I want the EG Headliner (and Sunvisors) is because they are vinyl and not cloth like the Stock EK ones, meaning they are harder to stain, sag, etc. If they get dirty you can simply wipe them clean. The JDM EK Headliner (at least the CTR one) is vinyl, but they are way overpriced.

Anyways, I figured I would ask to see if anyone had tried it and see what their response is. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny
Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: 92-95 EG Hatch Headliner into 96-00 EK Hatch?

Wow. I would say that I highly highly doubt that they would be interchangeable, though it would be interesting if they were. I would think they have different roof line shapes, different locations for clips, etc. I'd suggest getting out the measuring tape. Or, you can remove one from an 5th Gen and test fit it on your 6th parked at the junkyard before you commit to buying it.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, I would love to do something like that. I really don't like that fabric material on the EK, but I like that vinyl feel to it from the EG. If there's just little mods from the EG, than I would do it. GL!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Wow. I would say that I highly highly doubt that they would be interchangeable, though it would be interesting if they were. I would think they have different roof line shapes, different locations for clips, etc. I'd suggest getting out the measuring tape. Or, you can remove one from an 5th Gen and test fit it on your 6th parked at the junkyard before you commit to buying it.
That wont work because as I stated: "They dont have any EK Hatches at the Junkyard, if they did I would remove and test fit right there and then, but its not an option." Anyways, I visually compared them and it looked liek it could actually work. I dont know anyone with an EG Hatch, if I did I would personally ask them if we could try it out. I was curious if maybe someone on here had tried it and could provide input or if they own both vehicles and could try it for me.

Originally Posted by JNocon
Man, I would love to do something like that. I really don't like that fabric material on the EK, but I like that vinyl feel to it from the EG. If there's just little mods from the EG, than I would do it. GL!
I know man, I feel you on that. I really want to do this, but I dont want to spend money on it and then having it not work, you know? My visual comparison tells me it should work, only way to know for sure its to try it though, but I'm too short on cash to just be throwing it away in case it doesnt. If not, I would've tried it already. I might try to hit up more Junkyards and see if they have both (EG Hatch and EK Hatch) and try it, but its rare to find EK Hatches in the Junkyards where I'm at.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that the actual roof length on the two is different. By quite a few inches. The EG is longer. I hope that gives at least a little insight.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by talkJDM
That wont work because as I stated: "They dont have any EK Hatches at the Junkyard, if they did I would remove and test fit right there and then, but its not an option."
I know. But are you driving your EK to the junkyard? Is it a pick'n'pull? Can you pull an EG headliner and test fit it into your own EK right there at the yard before you commit to purchasing it? This is what I meant by "test fit it on your 6th parked at the junkyard before you commit to buying it."
Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtechjunkie
I know that the actual roof length on the two is different. By quite a few inches. The EG is longer. I hope that gives at least a little insight.
Thanks for the input, if the EG Hatch Headliner is longer in length then I don't think it will be an issue as it can be easily shortened/cut down. However, if it would've been shorter than the EK Hatch it'd be a different story. Curious, do you know or have any input on the width of the EG Hatch Headliner?

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
I know. But are you driving your EK to the junkyard? Is it a pick'n'pull? Can you pull an EG headliner and test fit it into your own EK right there at the yard before you commit to purchasing it? This is what I meant by "test fit it on your 6th parked at the junkyard before you commit to buying it."
I can't. I don't know what type of Junk Yards you have available where you live, but here in FL you cannot test fit a part on your own car before buying it (Not in U-Pull-N-Pay or any other Junk Yard). Either buy it and be **** out of luck if it doesn't work or don't buy it. If you buy a wrong or incorrect part its not on them, now if its defective they'll offer an exchange for the same part.

The ideal situation would be to find both an EG Hatch and an EK Hatch at the same Junk Yard, then I can do the test right there and then. Of course not only that, but the EG Hatch has to have a Headliner for me to test into the EK Hatch (obviously) and, for the most part, all EG's found here in Junk Yards are gutted.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try it out and if it dont work take it back. curious to see if it works. subscribed.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by backyard_concepts
try it out and if it dont work take it back. curious to see if it works. subscribed.
I'm guessing you didnt read the post above yours.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's do this headliner sh*t, man. I just went to 4 wrecking yards today, and couldn't find any EK or EG hatches...2 Pic-A-Part at Wilmington, Cal., Ecology about 2 minutes away, and one Pic-A-Part on Beach Blvd. Nothing, nothing!!! Most I saw was 4 doors(Ferios) and they were all stripped. I'm going to try Craigslist.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JNocon
Let's do this headliner sh*t, man. I just went to 4 wrecking yards today, and couldn't find any EK or EG hatches...2 Pic-A-Part at Wilmington, Cal., Ecology about 2 minutes away, and one Pic-A-Part on Beach Blvd. Nothing, nothing!!! Most I saw was 4 doors(Ferios) and they were all stripped. I'm going to try Craigslist.
Word, this weekend I'm going to try a few more Junk Yard and see what I can find, hopefully at least one of them has an EG Hatch w/ Headliner and a Stripped EK Hatch where I can test fit.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by talkJDM
I'm guessing you didnt read the post above yours.
guess i didnt see that. my bad
Old 12-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put new material on a headliner. I personally hate the vinyl, it looks cheap. If you want it, buy vinyl and glue it to your headliner board.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
You can put new material on a headliner. I personally hate the vinyl, it looks cheap. If you want it, buy vinyl and glue it to your headliner board.
Thanks for the input, but I'll say it again, I already know my options - I know I can get my Stock one redone whatever color(s)/material I want, that's not the problem/question here. I want to know if I can make the EG Hatch Headliner fit into the EK Hatch.

Why do people keep posting on here without reading what's already been stated?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I measured a buddies car, and the width is a bit more on the Ek. About 2.5 inches give or take 1/4inches. It may still work though. You have some room to play with in the trim. Upon more consideration though; I didn't check the sunroof alignment. Are they going to line up when you cut and shape it to the car?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtechjunkie
I measured a buddies car, and the width is a bit more on the Ek. About 2.5 inches give or take 1/4inches. It may still work though. You have some room to play with in the trim. Upon more consideration though; I didn't check the sunroof alignment. Are they going to line up when you cut and shape it to the car?
Thanks for that info man, I appreciate it. My Hatch doesnt have Sunroof, so I'm not worried there. I would get a Headliner off a CX EG Hatch or something so that it doesnt have Sunroof either.

The weather this weeks is horrible for Junkyard hunting, so I cant go out there. Its raining all day and all night. I need a nice good day so I can go find one and do a test fit in the Junkyard.