Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92-95 civic hatchback B18B1 swap HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92-95 civic hatchback B18B1 swap HELP

hello, i need some help and advice, I am looking to get a 92-95 civic hatch back and i know that most of them are very slow, but i have a b18b1 out of a 94 acura intedgra ls. I need to know if this motor will go right in or what, i need to know EVERYTHING. as most would suggest, "get a Vtec swap for it", i cannot do that, i am 15 going on 16 and im selling my prelude because of the insurance is so expensive and i do not have the money for a vtec, i have to work with what i have which is the b18b1. The motor i have has bent valves but thats an easy fix. I have my eye out for a civic hb, but i want one that is made in japan and NOT by the american honda co., if anyone knows about this please let me know because i have seen some that are made in usa and some in japan. I really appreciate your help, thank you
Old 01-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92-95 civic hatchback B18B1 swap HELP (PreludeDude96)

so u want a RHD with b18b motor. if u want a RHD, then u should just go for a jdm b16. and yesh the b18b would go straight into the hatch.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:26 PM
OG Tech

Hmmm If you want a JDM civic, its going to cost you a pretty penny to get it imported and other crap. Just buy a USDM civic hatchback. The b18b1 is a easy swap for 92-95 civics. Its a direct swap. Take out the old and put in the new. Thats it. You can use the same engine mounts and wiring harness, but you have to get the B18b1 ECU also.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

things you'll need:

motor
tranny (tranny mount as well i think)
axles
shift linkages
ECU
modify exhaust flange
and then the usual; timing belt, water pump, clutch, flywheel, fluids, etc....(depending on mileage of motor of course)

that's about the basic stuff you'll need...besides getting yourself a civic.
Good luck dood
Old 01-28-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: (Mashimaro)

hold on, i am talking about a LHD civic made in japan, i have seen both usdm and jdm civics both LHD, my prelude is made in japan and i also want a japan civic made for america, the american civic are just not exactly what i want but i cant be too picky. one of you said it will go right in the other said it takes a ton of crap to do it. am i best off to just get a running civic and just be done with it or what. help me out.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: (Mashimaro)

If you want a 92-95 eg hatch, you will be getting a car that was built in north america. There are NO usdm or cdm 92-95 civics that were made in Japan, so don't bother looking. As far as getting a RHD eg imported from overseas, you won't be doing that either because you're 15, and if vtec is not an option, neither is importing a car.

For the b18 it's a very easy swap, if you can get that bent valve engine running again yourself. I did a b18b swap into a 92 eg hatch in a weekend, with many trips to the local auto parts stores, lots of BBQing, and plenty of 's or course! The only problem we had in the end was the shifter rods rubbing the exhaust pipe, because the bottom of the header pipe points upward too high. I think that's a common problem with b series swaps into the eg hatch, but we got the pipe adjusted, and it's fine now. Good luck to you!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Re: (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

Ok but what about this, i have also a 88 acura integra ls 5 speed, i was thinkin maybe the d16a1 out of it will go into a civic hb 92-95. it is a DOHC motor and i like that becuase i Hate sohc motors. the 88 integra has 120000 miles on it and it has everything, its a full car and all it needs to run is a starter and an ignition switch, and a lot of cleaning. I hope you guys will help me some more because maybe the d16a1 will be an easier swap for the lil civic hb. I really do appreiciate you guys helping me out, most seem to not ever reply to my needing help. also, what does "bump" mean when people say that and when will i not be a trial user anymore? Thanks Guys!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Re: (PreludeDude96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PreludeDude96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok but what about this, i have also a 88 acura integra ls 5 speed</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PreludeDude96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a full car and all it needs to run is a starter and an ignition switch, and a lot of cleaning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So why not clean it, replace the starter and IGN switch, and drive that instead of trying to find an EG? IMO that would be easiest, but you're probably stuck on getting an EG, so I'll answer your question about that swap being easier... no. You will have issues with the cable clutch and mounts among other things. The b18a/b is the easiest DOHC swap you can do, period.

To bump a post is to move it back up to the top of the forum so everyone can see it again. My replying to your message, I just "bumped" your thread back to the top.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

ok, but see, i dont have all the stuff for the b18b1 swap. Ill go ahead and tell you my situation. As it all begins my dad bought me a 89 honda prelude 4ws si and we have hopped it all up and made it look awesome and stuff but insurance for it is 350 dollars a month so im selling it for 2000 dollars and hopefully i can get a eg hatch with my money and a couple hundred of my parents money. I also need to get a JOB ASAP. I know the B18 would be better but all i have is the motor and the 88 acura integra is ragged and i have no title to it because some one abandoned it at my dads shop so i do have the keys and the shop owner says i can have it if i want it and he'll hold itt for me till i see what im going to do with the swap situation. I really want a civic hb, i am having such a hard time i love my red prelude "lil red" and ive had it since i was 12 or 13 and it is hard for me to let a 4ws prelude slip from my hands and if you wanna know the truth, its an automatic but it'll hit 7 grand with no problem and its a B20A5. I am going to use the money from it to buy me a htach Eg i think its called 92-95. I am having no luck with selling it and i cant find a good shape hatch with decent miles for a good price, and i guarantee you if it runs when i get it, my dad will do all nesecary thing to make it ready to drive but he will not swap it immediately, he will wait til the lil tiny 1.5 sohc to break or something so im kinda interested in getting a broke down one so i can do a swap now. I know you all can identify by what im saying. Please write back in this message thread to hep me some more. THANK YOU
Old 01-30-2005, 11:06 AM

i have found a 94 civic hb w/ new motor for 2200, i might buy it