Default 92-00 ICM/Coil Technical Discussion

How to test ICM and Coil? | ClubCivic.com - Your Online Civic Community

first hit on google there, steve
Old 10-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 95 civic sputters and stalls HELP

Originally Posted by eghatch9295

Thanks for the link. but it not what I want to know.

It is very easy to test a DEAD icm and a DEAD coil. But could you tell me and OP how to test reliably a DYING icm and DYING coil? A bad (DYING) icm and a bad (DYING) coil could cause random and sudden stall. But again, could you tell us how to test those DYING parts? You don't want OP replacing these parts "blindly". right ???

thanks.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveT2008
You can "diagnose" the ICM only when it's really dead. A dying ICM is very hard to "diagnose" and it doesn't cause constant rough idle. A dying ICM do cause random misfire and random and sudden shutoff but independently to acceleration. As for the spark, you can check the spark only when the car cranks but refuse the start. If you can start the car, it's very hard to check for the spark.

And Oh btw, the battery, the engine oil and filter, the wiper blades and the tires of all my cars are not OEM. Am I doomed ?
You're wrong, you can diagnose the icm to check if its within spec, check the helms manual for the range. You can purchase whatever you like, we just recommend oem parts because its a sure thing and won't fail on you later on down the road. I already had my fair share of non-oem parts failing, especially the icm. It was replaced 4 months before it failed. i went oem and no issues. I thought in my head "blah, old car. I should be fine", NOPE. I ended up having to put the original one back in until my oem part came in.

Why did I replace a part that didn't fail? Why wait. I do routine maintenance. If you can't afford it, its fine. Understood.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
You're wrong, you can diagnose the icm to check if its within spec, check the helms manual for the range. You can purchase whatever you like, we just recommend oem parts because its a sure thing and won't fail on you later on down the road. I already had my fair share of non-oem parts failing, especially the icm. It was replaced 4 months before it failed. i went oem and no issues. I thought in my head "blah, old car. I should be fine", NOPE. I ended up having to put the original one back in until my oem part came in.

Why did I replace a part that didn't fail? Why wait. I do routine maintenance. If you can't afford it, its fine. Understood.

For electronic and structural parts, I always stick with oem. But for maintenance parts (wires, spark plugs, battry, rotor, cap, oil, filter, lights and other), I don't care if they are oem or not.

A dying ICM and an dying coil could be within the spec but still bad. I had experience with 2 bad distributors that the icm was within the spec. They could be fine when they are cold, but they start to acting out only when they are warm. This is the reason why is not easy to test a dying icm or a dying coil.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

A dying ICM and an dying coil could be within the spec but still bad. I had experience with 2 bad distributors that the icm was within the spec. They could be fine when they are cold, but they start to acting out only when they are warm. This is the reason why is not easy to test a dying icm or a dying coil.
Logic would dictate that you throw the digital multimeter into the car as well as the FSM pages related to the ICM/Coil testing, drive the car until it stalls out (fully warmed up) and then you unplug the plugs on the distributor and do your tests with everything nice and hot.

Likely gonna find the results not in spec.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:46 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Logic would dictate that you throw the digital multimeter into the car as well as the FSM pages related to the ICM/Coil testing, drive the car until it stalls out (fully warmed up) and then you unplug the plugs on the distributor and do your tests with everything nice and hot.

Exactly this. It really is that simple. If the problem is intermittent, then you test when the problem arrises.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39

This will work if the icm or the coil are near dead. But for a start dying icm or coil they will still look fine even after a stall. This is the reason why the stalls are random and sudden but you have no problem to restart the car. But I agree with you that we should test the icm and coil with a multimeter regardless of these part are bad or not.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 92-00 ICM/Coil Technical Discussion

You obviously don't know how to diagnose and don't know the procedures. I feel for you. This thread has nothing more I can say.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
You obviously don't know how to diagnose and don't know the procedures. I feel for you. This thread has nothing more I can say.

Well, is it the best you can say? If you think I don't know how to diagnose and I don't know the procedure, please try to be helpful and tell me how.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2015, 02:05 PM

Download an FSM, it has the procedure in it. Or wait until someone else has a problem that necessitates testing, and either myself or RonJ will post the FSM flow chart for testing it. Personally, given your penchant for shitting up these forums, I'm not going to waste the time it would take for me to find it in my FSM, convert it to an image, and post it for you just because you don't know it. If you really want to know, you'll download the FSM.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:10 PM

Is there something wrong for answering back a comment from your friend Tony_2018 ?
You were given a thread to **** up. Go **** up that thread. Quit shitting up this guy's thread. You were told to move your conversation to that thread. It's not that hard to hit the quote button, cut, and paste the quote into the new thread, and continue your keyboard diarrhea over here, just like I just ******* did. No, a mod did not move this post here. I posted it here.

Now quit shitting up that poor guy's thread. Your shitty posting may have scared him away already.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Download an FSM, it has the procedure in it. Or wait until someone else has a problem that necessitates testing, and either myself or RonJ will post the FSM flow chart for testing it. Personally, given your penchant for shitting up these forums, I'm not going to waste the time it would take for me to find it in my FSM, convert it to an image, and post it for you just because you don't know it. If you really want to know, you'll download the FSM.

Your friend eghatch9295 show me this
How to test ICM and Coil? | ClubCivic.com - Your Online Civic Community

I don't see any difference regarding how to test a Honda coil compared to others. Am I missing something?

I have a multimeter that can test electrical resistance and also coil inductance. Do you think it is enough ?

Please try to be helpful. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
You were given a thread to **** up. Go **** up that thread. Quit shitting up this guy's thread. You were told to move your conversation to that thread. It's not that hard to hit the quote button, cut, and paste the quote into the new thread, and continue your keyboard diarrhea over here, just like I just ******* did. No, a mod did not move this post here. I posted it here.

Now quit shitting up that poor guy's thread. Your shitty posting may have scared him away already.

But why your boyfriend Tony_2018 didn't post his comment here ? Please don't be mad, I just try to understand your logic.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:19 PM

You have made every effort possible to **** up these forums, and have not stopped when multiple members and a moderator told you to stop. What's more, you aren't even the person having a problem right now, aside from your reading comprehension skills. You have given us absolutely zero reason to help you. Do you not understand how to read a basic diagnostic flow chart?
Old 10-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

But why your boyfriend Tony_2018 didn't post his comment here ? Please don't be mad, I just try to understand your logic.
You're off to bad start. Do a lot more reading on this forum, including the forum Rules sticky, before you make another post.

Locked.