Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

89 Octane or 91 Octane Gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:50 AM
DJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Octane or 91 Octane Gas

I was just wondering, is there any significant difference between the regular 89 octane gas, and the 91 octance "cleans as you drive" gas? Some say that by using this, it's acutally better than using additives to clean out feul injector. Some also say that you can expect to see an increase in feul millage as well.

Any thoughts or comments?...i personally don't notice a differece...maybe i'm not "focusing" enough.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know from my personal experience of working for SUNOCO that 91+ is the best gas they produce. 93+ is a mixture of cheap and good gas.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:51 AM
DJP

Default Re: (4thgenx42)

Am i actually benefiting from using this gas? Is this doing anything in terms of preserving my engine internals?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:02 AM

91 octane
Old 07-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pirates010)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pirates010 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">91 octane</TD></TR></TABLE>

?????

why not just use the gas that's designed for your car ?? i believe that putting higher octane gas will cause you too run rich not sure what the consequences are right not ( just got off work )
Old 07-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (uneek360)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uneek360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
why not just use the gas that's designed for your car ??</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 , unless you are running a motor with a higher compression you arent going to see a difference.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

I use 91 for the reasons stated above and my car is little more than stock. Just for the simple fact that worst come to worst were spending $2 per fill up extra on something as important as gas. So if were right it's just better for our FI systems in general, if wrong then were throwing away $2 dollars. I could save that same $2dollars if I didn't drive like a bat out of Hell.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uneek360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

?????

why not just use the gas that's designed for your car ?? i believe that putting higher octane gas will cause you too run rich not sure what the consequences are right not ( just got off work )</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes use the gas (octane rating) that your engine requires.... example: if you have a regular honda civic ex use regular 89 octane... running mid grade or premium will cause your car to knock... why because the flash point is lower so the premium will ignite late and causing you to knock...the higher compression the hotter the combustion and the higher flash point you need to create that power. yah feel me?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:41 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (civic1234)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic1234 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes use the gas (octane rating) that your engine requires.... example: if you have a regular honda civic ex use regular 89 octane... running mid grade or premium will cause your car to knock... why because the flash point is lower so the premium will ignite late and causing you to knock...the higher compression the hotter the combustion and the higher flash point you need to create that power. yah feel me? </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
Old 07-11-2007, 09:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic1234 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.....yah feel me? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, no I don't......at all.

Higher octane gas will NOT cause your engine to "knock". The octane rating of gasoline represents that gas' ability to resist detonation. The higher the number the better it can resist detonation.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89 Octane or 91 Octane Gas (DJP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just wondering, is there any significant difference between the regular 89 octane gas, and the 91 octance "cleans as you drive" gas? Some say that by using this, it's acutally better than using additives to clean out feul injector. Some also say that you can expect to see an increase in feul millage as well.

Any thoughts or comments?...i personally don't notice a differece...maybe i'm not "focusing" enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what car / engine you have?

Old 07-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FarinaMotorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FarinaMotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Higher octane gas will NOT cause your engine to "knock". The octane rating of gasoline represents that gas' ability to resist detonation. The higher the number the better it can resist detonation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, ugh im a retard... duhh!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 AM
DJP

is detonation the same thing as combustion?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 AM
DJP

Default Re: 89 Octane or 91 Octane Gas (GG99)

i own a 92 civic si hatch. From what i remember the engine is a d16z6.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89 Octane or 91 Octane Gas (DJP)

then just use, regular unleaded, your wasting money on higher octane gas. you're not going to get better gas mileage by switching.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DJP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is detonation the same thing as combustion?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol no they both are actually two worlds apart.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:23 AM
DJP

Default Re: (iVteC_PoWeR)

woops, my mistake. care to explaine the difference?

Modified by DJP at 12:58 PM 7/11/2007
Old 07-11-2007, 11:24 AM
DJP

Default Re: (iVteC_PoWeR)

the main reason i was wondering about it was becuase i noticed that it also said "cleans as you drive". I figured if i could use something like this instead of some type of additive to clean my feul injectors, i would be better off.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DJP)

If you are worried about your internals being clean may I suggest "Seafoam". Put some of that in your gas tank, through your brake booster vacuum line, and your crank case and it will do the trick.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just use whats recommended unless you have a high comp built motor. and if you scared of your internal parts, just make sure you keep up with the maintence and **** and change the oil every 3k
Old 07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are worried about your internals being clean may I suggest "Seafoam". Put some of that in your gas tank, through your brake booster vacuum line, and your crank case and it will do the trick. </TD></TR></TABLE>

true
Old 07-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FarinaMotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Higher octane gas will NOT cause your engine to "knock". The octane rating of gasoline represents that gas' ability to resist detonation. The higher the number the better it can resist detonation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was the end of the thread right there.

?????

why not just use the gas that's designed for your car ?? i believe that putting higher octane gas will cause you too run rich not sure what the consequences are right not ( just got off work )</TD></TR></TABLE>

Putting higher octane in your car will not cause your car to run rich at all.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smileycvc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Putting higher octane in your car will not cause your car to run rich at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i figured that...
Old 07-11-2007, 01:26 PM

ahhh the lies!

89 octane? any D-series you can run 87 octane, any OBD-2 you could technically run 85 octane because of hte knock sensor, but you lose power, milleage and create more emissions since the knock sensor retards the timing by 3*.

b16's need 91, LS (b18a/b's need 87).

And really, higher octane will NOT make you run rich, Rich is when your car's o2 sensor detects more fuel in the o2 stream than air, and corrects itself by 25%.

So really you have a combustion running cooler, which means more fuel is needed to ignite the spark (think e85, which is really like 110) You put that in your engine you need alot more fuel output to get the same AF ratio than just using 87. So technically your running LEAN! If your stock, and running 91 octane, the o2 is going to add the extra needed fuel, so not only are you flooding your cat with unburn fuel, your going to dirty up your engine oil, your engine and your spark plugs.

If obd2, use 87 unless the owners manual states a higher octane. Higher octane on a stock engine = not good in the long run.

I believe somebody told me 100% clean fuel will not ignite, its the inperfections in the mix to create a combustion. Why doesnt explosives contain the highest grade of fuel? put some fuel, some sawdust and citrus and you have a dirty combustion that will BURN your ***.

higher octane = less power unless your engine requires (tuned for it) it like FI/high compression, because it actually completes the combustion not half asses it like a stock car (unless packed with carbon or pistons are really f'ed up)
Old 07-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (MidwestCivic)

Octane rating is used to quantify the ability for a fuel to resist detonation, under compression it will detonate at varying rates, lower octane combusts faster, and is the staple for most Honda cars and trucks (Requires 86 Octane)

Running 91 in a car designed for use with 86 with no other modifcations will yield a richer AFR, because the fuel takes longer to combust because timing is not optimized for that fuel, it would combust after TDC, and foul the plugs depending on your engines conditions.

The stoichiometric AFR for Ethanol fuel is 9:1, and the mixture of gas with Ethanol would yield an ideal AFR around 9.8:1 This is because Ethanol contains oxygen in the fuel. E85 has a pump octane of around 116-126 depending on the blends, which can vary because Ethanol absorbs water very easily.

Honda's PCM Short/Long Term Fuel Trims can correct up to 20% in either rich or lean, and will set a system too rich/lean if the long term value exceeds 18% in either direction.

Octane requirements increase as compression and timing increase, as you all should know.

100% clean fuel will ignite, the inperfection in gasoline is Heptane, which has a low self ignition point compared to Octane. (this is how you get varying grades of fuel)

Quick Reply: 89 Octane or 91 Octane Gas