Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

7gen ('01) civic rear brake help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7gen ('01) civic rear brake help

ok appologies if I'm in the wrong section, I don't know all too much as I'm not exactly around anybody to learn from, so I'm just learning from doing and asking all I can, don't flame me if any questions are horrendously stupid in your perspective..

I am looking to do a rear disc coversion but im pretty clueless in this area, I've yet to dabble with my brakes and rotors

first, what would be the best to get one off of? like which car's would i want to put on mine optimally..

I also plan on getting new rotors and calipers, I'm told i need smaller in the back to balance it out, what combination would work best with this car?

will the rears work w/ abs as well?

what of the ebrake, will it just use the rear discs for ebrake or what?

Thanks for any help you can provide me with
Old 02-24-2004, 07:02 PM

oh yea... would I be able to put these on safely myself or is it worth having the shop do it.. I'm told definately have a qualified mech put the new rotors and calipers on as I'll just f##k them up
Old 02-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 7gen ('01) civic rear brake help (lunn7gen)

There does'nt seem to be very much 01+ support in this forum, but I'll try as best I can. Mind you this is what I *think* will help get you started, and I don't have any personal experience with the 01+s.

For the rear disks, I would look to an EP3 (new SI) for the rear disks or possibly an EX if they had them as an option. You may end up having to get a new Ebrake cable off of the EP3/EX as well. I would stick with the stock rotor size using Brembo Blanks and some decent pads and it should be more than enough to stop your Civic on the streets. ABS is going to be a difficult thing to add to your car, more trouble than it is worth to me. Hope I helped get you started, and thanks for putting together a coherent post as your first post. Welcome to Honda-Tech!

EDIT: If you are mechanically inclined at all you should be able to swap rotors/calipers. As far as the brake, I'm not sure how farmiliar you are with brake work, but the Eg/EK rear disk swap is NOT difficult at all. Pretty much a unbolt then rebolt affiar.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 7gen (Ricey McRicerton)

does anyone know if the rsx suspension is the same as the 01+ civics? i always thought they were... hmmmm?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 7gen (DOHCtorTHRUST)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHCtorTHRUST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know if the rsx suspension is the same as the 01+ civics? i always thought they were... hmmmm?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking that as well...but I don't want to tell him that it is and not know for sure. Anybody know if there was a rear disk option on any of the 01+s except for the SIs?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Re: 7gen (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
For the rear disks, I would look to an EP3 (new SI) for the rear disks or possibly an EX if they had them as an option.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NOPE!

To be specific its a fully loaded 01 Ex Coupe - no rear discs! wasted my money getting all the options anyhow, other then my 'winter beater' rims arent blacks, but 16" alloys

as for SI/RSX can anyone confirm if these would be what to look for? and maybe point me out where to look...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EDIT: If you are mechanically inclined at all you should be able to swap rotors/calipers. As far as the brake, I'm not sure how farmiliar you are with brake work, but the Eg/EK rear disk swap is NOT difficult at all. Pretty much a unbolt then rebolt affiar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well... I am told you should have the rotors checked with a machine to make sure they're put on as perfect as possible or whatever.. I am not too mechanically inclined in the automotive area, but I'm willing to learn as long as I don't end up disabling my car for a week or killing myself driving a bad brake job..

What about the ebrake question? hows that work, it uses the discs? or is it still drum, like back has drum & disc?

Thanks very much for your replies, do feel free to tell me more

ed: oh yea, and what i meant is im told NOT to put, say, 13" rotors and same calipers on both front and back, is actually counterproductive and can cause the car to spin even, and rather, make the back less powerful.. stoptech even says you should balance it, but im waiting for a reply on whats best, they referred me to this forum for my conversion questions.

ed2: christ i keep missing ****. as far as 'adding abs' do you mean in general, or to the back? because i DO have abs, but would it work with the back is what i meant by that question. sorry i prefer to measure twice....

Modified by lunn7gen at 4:52 AM 2/25/2004
Old 02-25-2004, 06:21 AM

You can use either the RSX or the EP3 brakes for the rear. Both should fit right in. Just need the rotors, discs, and arm. Swap should run you round $500 more or less w/everythin you need.

EX's never came w/rear discs....no matter how loaded it was.

Check out http://www.7thgencivic.com there is more than enough info there to help you out. Check out their forums....there is one for suspension. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2004, 10:41 AM

bump

yea, thats what i was saying, there were no other options i could get with it, no damn rear disc

THANK YOU for that link, just what i want :D
Old 02-25-2004, 11:13 AM

Np prob. Good luck w/your project. Keep us posted.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpdRcrChk)

To answer your question about slapping on some huge rear disks, that is correct. Your stock brakes (and almost all other brake setups) are biased heavily twoards the front (front does much more of the stopping power than the rears, hence the reason for brake dive. If you throw some huge disks on the back and don't have a way to adjust the bias, you are asking for trouble.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:40 PM

Well yea, I was thinking like 13" in front 12" in back, not sure what exactly i SHOULD use.. I want better braking power but dont need to lose control

I'll see what stoptech says, paired with a nice set of 18"s it'll look pretty hot too

Spdr I'd post pics but Im kind of ashamed of the car.. I bought it brand new, and of course some jealous punks fucked it up, kicked in my corner panel and hit my door, broke a mirror off... Then to rub salt in the wound someone claiming ot be certified screwed me on doing the body work, so now i have a door thats no better then the dented one and a screwed up body kit... god its a mess right now

aem v2 intake, projectors&euros, buddy club 2 kit, erebuni m3 mirrors (he did a shitty *** job on those too i have to pay MORE to fix..)
planning on FIXING the old ****, doing this brake job, new rims and a new wing, if its possible to get a racing style gas cap..
then of course I also am working on replacing my system, and interior, and fiddling under the hood a bit
Old 02-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lunn7gen)

A word to the wise, unless you want to get torn apart by some of the less mature members here you probally should'nt post a picture of your car. Most people on this board are JDM clones who can't say anything positive about anything thats not JDM. I hope you get all of your stuff fixed, and agian, no matter what you're into, I'm hoping you can be a contributing member to this board as you have a firm grasp of the english language and can put together a well thought out post.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:19 AM

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A word to the wise, unless you want to get torn apart by some of the less mature members here you probally should'nt post a picture of your car. Most people on this board are JDM clones who can't say anything positive about anything thats not JDM. I hope you get all of your stuff fixed, and agian, no matter what you're into, I'm hoping you can be a contributing member to this board as you have a firm grasp of the english language and can put together a well thought out post. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.