Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8?

Whats up guys. I got a 97 del sol-S with a y7 but i'm building a y8. I'm hearing that the fuel cut is at 7400rmp. Is this correct? Also, with pistons, rods, built internals etc... what can I rev to? It will be boosted for around 350whp. I keep hearing different things about the block and I don't know if thats gonna support it. What the hell can I rev safely to?

Thanks!
Teri
Old 10-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8? (HoNda PriNcess)

7200 rpm. But most importantly is not how high can you rev safely, is how good your build is and how good is your tune!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8? (DaveSi677)

Well thats another thing I had a question about... tuning. Cause I know of a guy by me that tuned his boosted D on Crome and it blew up but it was also a half-*** setup. So I was aiming more twoards Neptune. Obviously, I know thats an important factor. BUT, I don't like that 7200rmp crap. With a built bottom end and internals I don't think its too much to ask for at LEAST 8k. This sucks!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really don't think you should be getting a turbo because if you really want to rev high like 8k you should go NA.

With a turbo you want low end power which honda are know not to have why would you want to have power at 8k for?

NA you want to have power up high because that is where the power band is for Honda but that changes when you go turbo! Ppl go turbo because they want to have more power and they really don't care how high they rev just as long as they are fast.

I think you should read up a little more about turbo and all that!

Also is not Crome the problem it was the shitty tuner so doesn't mean Neptune is better!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveSi677 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really don't think you should be getting a turbo because if you really want to rev high like 8k you should go NA.

With a turbo you want low end power which honda are know not to have why would you want to have power at 8k for?

NA you want to have power up high because that is where the power band is for Honda but that changes when you go turbo! Ppl go turbo because they want to have more power and they really don't care how high they rev just as long as they are fast.

Also is not Crome the problem it was the shitty tuner so doesn't mean Neptune is better!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, duh. Of course every Honda needs the bottom end power because there is lack thereof! I'm taking a little bit of offense to that statement dude. Yeah you get smaller turbo so itll spool faster. Just because I want to rev to 8k doesn't mean I have to go N/A. Don't get me wrong I see your point it is valid. But for one, 8k isn't even that high. You really kind of pissed me off. STFU.

And please don't hijack my thread. I'm trying to ask some frickin questions!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you think I am hi jacking your thread you got to be kidding me! Seriously these are questions that have been answered before and also their is a FI section so why don't you go ask there?

If you take offense to what I said that is your problem but when I said you should read a little more about it.... I meant research around the forum and you will get your answer since mine is not good enough for you!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveSi677 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you think I am hi jacking your thread you got to be kidding me! Seriously these are questions that have been answered before and also their is a FI section so why don't you go ask there?

If you take offense to what I said that is your problem but when I said you should read a little more about it.... I meant research around the forum and you will get your answer since mine is not good enough for you!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I realize there is a FI section. Big whoop. The fuel cut was my original question. Its not that its not good enough I just don't really consider that an answer to my question! You're trying to concil me on what way to do my motor!

Back to my originial post.... !
Old 10-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't say which way to do your motor! Also just because your going to rev all the way to 8k what makes you think you are going to make power all the way up there?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, I know my powerband isn't gonna be that high. But I love to rev and romp and launch pretty damn hard. Eventually she will probably be a trailer queen. But either way, I like to have all that leway. DOesn't mean I'll always use it but my K motor LOVED revving.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:54 AM
cute little bastard

If you're running a stock ECU, of course its going to cut out at 7400. But when you finally get your setup together you won't be using a stock programed ECU (at least I hope not) so you can just program the chip or w/e you're using to rev to w/e the hell you want.

With all good aftermarket internals, you can rev to 8k no problem.

As for where to rev to, just rev to whereever it makes power to (on the dyno)

Old 10-30-2006, 10:10 AM

Default Re: 7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8? (SkoundrelUSA)

If you want to rev high (9k or similar) you need a valvetrain that can support that, along with the proper studs for your rods (assuming you go with eagle you are supposed to replace the studs that come with them with an ARP part #.)

I keep hearing about Y8 oiling problems, which has to do with oil starvation up top, causing spun bearings.

Just because you're boosting does not mean you shouldn't rev high. Some of the high HP D series guys run to 9k so that when they shift into the next gear they're going right back into the peak of their powerband.

And saying that boost is good for down low is not always true. I have a small turbo, so I'm making 15psi around 3.5k. I'm not making a lot of power, but I have a nice powerband. The guys with big turbos have turbos that take a long time to spool, so they don't make much power down low, which is another reason they rev so high.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8? (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to rev high (9k or similar) you need a valvetrain that can support that, along with the proper studs for your rods (assuming you go with eagle you are supposed to replace the studs that come with them with an ARP part #.)

I keep hearing about Y8 oiling problems, which has to do with oil starvation up top, causing spun bearings.

Just because you're boosting does not mean you shouldn't rev high. Some of the high HP D series guys run to 9k so that when they shift into the next gear they're going right back into the peak of their powerband.

Yes, definetly. I agree with you, but I was actually planning on using Vitara pistons and Scat rods... ?

Dare to be different!!!
And saying that boost is good for down low is not always true. I have a small turbo, so I'm making 15psi around 3.5k. I'm not making a lot of power, but I have a nice powerband. The guys with big turbos have turbos that take a long time to spool, so they don't make much power down low, which is another reason they rev so high.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-30-2006, 10:21 AM

Vitara & Scat for 350whp?

What turbo are you planning on using?

For 350whp I'd build it right. I just had a spare Z6 built. Rods, pitsons, OEM bearings, OEM oil pump, had it blueprinted, balanced, ect. That ran me around 2700, then I picked up a brand new Z6 head for $200. I'd rather not lose a $3000 motor because I cheaped out on two parts.

If you're going to go through the process of building a motor & put the money into the machine work you might as well do it right.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8? (Everyones Hero)

yeah exactly... soo why are those cheap parts? they arent. i want the vitaras because people are making awesome power and they are holding up really well. i like to do **** different it doesnt mean cheap. if i was going the cheap route i wouldnt buy any internals and i sure as hell wouldnt spend the extra 1500 bucks to get everything machined correctly. I had a K and a B before so my D is a project. I'm researching and doing what I think is best. Im not going the traditional route of eagles or crower (although i wish icould afford those). but please dont knock that because im going a different route. i dont make uneducated decisions
Old 10-30-2006, 11:03 AM

It's not "different", there are a lot of people doing that.

What I'm saying is that if you're going to go through the process of building a motor, including the valvetrain, why cheap out on the pistons & rods?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:49 AM

bro get a OBD1 jumper harness, a Virgin P28, and a HONDATA S300 system,. and have a HONDATA authorizex dealer installed it and tune. and i promise you, you'll see some major improvement.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveSi677 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really don't think you should be getting a turbo because if you really want to rev high like 8k you should go NA.

Also is not Crome the problem it was the shitty tuner so doesn't mean Neptune is better!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is one of the most absurd comments I have ever heard. Stop pulling information from out of your ***.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Re: 7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8? (Finestcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Finestcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bro get a OBD1 jumper harness, a Virgin P28, and a HONDATA S300 system,. and have a HONDATA authorizex dealer installed it and tune. and i promise you, you'll see some major improvement.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would you need an authorized dealer to plug a box into your wiring harness? Seems pretty straight forward to me.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8? (Finestcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Finestcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bro get a OBD1 jumper harness, a Virgin P28, and a HONDATA S300 system,. and have a HONDATA authorizex dealer installed it and tune. and i promise you, you'll see some major improvement.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you were talkin to me which I think you were, I'm not a bro!
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK k kay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is one of the most absurd comments I have ever heard. Stop pulling information from out of your ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you!!!!!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why would you need an authorized dealer to plug a box into your wiring harness? Seems pretty straight forward to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used to like Hondata when we used it to tune my buddys Type R but its too much of a headache and WAY overpriced for what we went through. THe thing ran so damn rich it was rediculous, spent hours trying to tune that ****. I think I'll stick with Neptune for now....
Old 10-31-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to rev higher dump your D and back to a K or B setup. What is this fascination with revving so high?

Also revving to 8K is high, my pickup revs to 4500 if it's lucky, my van to 5300, my Acura EL to 7400, and my Sol to 8200.

There is a reason why Honda put the rev limit to level that it's at. If your looking for any reliability you shoud research piston to wall speed and rod stroke ratios before picking a max rpm out of your ***. Have your accomodated for any of this? You should do the proper headwork, and help fortify your bottom end with better bearings, and maybe even upgrade your oil pump, or girdle the bottom end (although I don't even think there is a D series girdle anyway)...

Besides what is the point of revving up that high anyway?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8? (BigJ5)

i revved my D-series to 9300(slammed it into 2nd going about 90 just to blow it up, and it never did) haha

if your tuner and engine builder can make power to 8000 i say go for it.
with money you can do just about anything.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigJ5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to rev higher dump your D and back to a K or B setup. What is this fascination with revving so high?

Also revving to 8K is high, my pickup revs to 4500 if it's lucky, my van to 5300, my Acura EL to 7400, and my Sol to 8200.

There is a reason why Honda put the rev limit to level that it's at. If your looking for any reliability you shoud research piston to wall speed and rod stroke ratios before picking a max rpm out of your ***. Have your accomodated for any of this? You should do the proper headwork, and help fortify your bottom end with better bearings, and maybe even upgrade your oil pump, or girdle the bottom end (although I don't even think there is a D series girdle anyway)...

Besides what is the point of revving up that high anyway?</TD></TR></TABLE>

most (maybe all?) d's already have a girdle from the factory
Old 10-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigJ5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to rev higher dump your D and back to a K or B setup. What is this fascination with revving so high?

Besides what is the point of revving up that high anyway?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-31-2006, 05:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigJ5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Besides what is the point of revving up that high anyway?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Main reason for revving that high is so it puts you back into the peak of your powerband.

I just don't understand why someone would dump the money into a valvetrain that can have the **** revved out of it then go cheap with the bottom end.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8? (UberMunkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UberMunkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

most (maybe all?) d's already have a girdle from the factory </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree the crank caps are bridged together, but compared to the Type-R girdle I bolted onto my LS-VTEC setup, it's pretty dinky. Even the F series crank caps are bridged but I highly doubt they are even close to the B-series girdle in strength.

If I where building up a D for High revving application I would invest some money in strengthing the block a bit more. The stock equipment is good for stock application with a slight tolerance for more aggressive forces, not a major asskicking.

Who wants a built motor to run only 15-20k and crap out?

Quick Reply: 7400rmp fuel cut on D16y8?