Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

72mm Throttle Body

Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72mm Throttle Body

So last week I baught a blox 72mm throttle body. After getting it I saw that my skunk 2 intake manifold was not nearly large enough. So $300 later in machine work I get my manifold back all smooth and big. And after installing everything back onto my car I realize my AEM intake is very very small. So small in fact that I can even fit the rubber part onto the throttle body. Now My question is. Does anyone know of a 72mm intake? Or I am I better off getting on custom made? I am not looking for anything fancy. Just a short ram metal intake.

-Mark-

Old 01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 72mm Throttle Body (Poppins324)

You want a silicone reducer coupler, and a few t-bolt or screw clamps. You can find with at VSRACING.NET or at any hardware store

72MM is a little less than 3 inches, so it'd be optimal to have like a 3 inch to 2.5 reducer or something of that sort, I don't know the size of the intake piping.

<-- Silicone reducer coupler.

<-- T-Bolt clamp example.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 72mm Throttle Body (ke98248)

That was my first thought. BUT I also thought what is the point of having a 72mm throttle body if my intake isnt even that big. Or will that not make a difference?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is a big TB for your car -- I don't know why you purchased such a large one?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 72mm Throttle Body (ke98248)

How do you know what car I have? and two the bigger the better. Plus if I go bigger now I wont need to buy it again. It cant hurt to have to big of a throttle body. (not including gas mileage).
Old 01-24-2008, 03:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Poppins324 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you know what car I have? and two the bigger the better. Plus if I go bigger now I wont need to buy it again. It cant hurt to have to big of a throttle body. (not including gas mileage). </TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG! to big is a bad thing. your gonna have no tq. unless you got a bilt na motor your stock one will be good enough.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 72mm Throttle Body (Frickr)

Logic behind this? Please I am instrested.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try sucking air through a garden hose, now go suck air through a giant piece of pvc pipe.

its fairly simple.

why not throw on an exhaust with 4inch piping, bigger the better right? ugh.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

Your point? I am talking about intake not exhaust (and its famed back pressure debat). An engine sucks in air. Can an engine suck in to much air? No it cant, cause if it could we wouldnt have turbos and tons of people would cry at night. Yes it is true my engine sucking ability hasnt increased. But all I did was give it the room to use its maximum sucking power. And please from now on if you say something isnt good just explain why you "think" it isnt good.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my point?
my f'n point is you asked why it could be a bad thing and i told your ungrateful ***.

you're welcome is what you were looking for, but obviously you got confused while typing.

and i gave the exhaust as an example, since you stated "bigger is always better" did you not?

and none of this is an issue if you have a built motor that requires more air, which you could've simply said from the beginning when it was initially questioned. a 72mm throttle body on a ported manifold with a 3inch intake is simply too much air for a stock motor, if you can not see that then its your loss.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 PM

instrument chill out...

he ment the bigger the better for tb's and while he might or might not utilize a 72 mm tb to its full potential, it really is going to hurt him really...

as for being an ungrateful *** for not understanding your response very well, then I guess that I am one too.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Poor mans solution: put a coupler in a bowl of water microwave it 20 sec or until mushy (LMAO) and take it out cram it on your throttle body put you intake piping on the other end LET it cool before you clamp it! and it will form to your TB and intake pipe
Old 01-24-2008, 05:07 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my point?
my f'n point is you asked why it could be a bad thing and i told your ungrateful ***.
you're welcome is what you were looking for, but obviously you got confused while typing. and i gave the exhaust as an example, since you stated "bigger is always better" did you not? and none of this is an issue if you have a built motor that requires more air, which you could've simply said from the beginning when it was initially questioned. a 72mm throttle body on a ported manifold with a 3inch intake is simply too much air for a stock motor, if you can not see that then its your loss.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

BRAVO!!! and well said!! yes that TB is waay to big for a stock engine, you wouldve been better off with an ITR TB..
Old 01-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (spock_rocker)

i believe "volumetric efficiency" is the term you guys are looking for.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:18 PM