Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

6th gen hatchback (EK) hatch door rattling (rear section)

Old 03-14-2005, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th gen hatchback (EK) hatch door rattling (rear section)

This noise developed about 3 weeks ago. The best I could describ it: (Canadian cold winter)

- rattling sound when the car is still moving under cold condition i.e. warmed up for 5 minutes
- rattling sound sounds like metal warpping
- rattling sound starts to go away after the car interior is warmed up
- rattling occurs over small uneven road holes and bumps
- stock suspension with ES trailing arm bushing (replaced last Christmas), rear 22mm sway bar
- will be using 16/14 suspension in a couple of month

The hatchdoor hydralic support (the 2 black piece) fail a couple times, that the weather was so cold the door would just not stay up, I had to hold it with my hand. For 6th gen hatch owners, I am not sure if you know this, but where the rubber stopper on the hatch ends (left side and right side) meets the back end of the chassis, there is a little clear tape over it. I guess it was meant to protect the paint. The clear tape on my passenger side is completely moved out of the way, you know, like after you wear your dress shoes for 4 months, the brand sticker moves slighly due to walking. Then I looked at the rubber stop, seems like it is "shorter" than the other side. So I gave it a turn then I realize it has a threaded structure to it. I wasn't sure if raising it or shortening it would do it any good, but I am not sure what coused that side to have more contact than the other.

I am just looking for solutions.

Thanks guys
Old 03-14-2005, 12:56 PM

bump for the same problem. although i hear the rattling all the time from 45mph and up. it is a very low, continuous rattling that is coming from the rear of my hatch (6th gen also), but im just not sure from where. i ripped out all the panels in the hatch and sat in the hatch while someone drove my car. i could hear it but not locate it. please someone who knows what this is please help.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: (nahledge 7)

i also have this problem.....a bump for help
Old 03-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe your license plate? Screws that hold your rear hatch latch? Rear hatch loose? Has it ever been in a wreck? Does it look "out of adjustment"?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: (KillBot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KillBot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe your license plate? Screws that hold your rear hatch latch? Rear hatch loose? Has it ever been in a wreck? Does it look "out of adjustment"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I cannot imagine it being the licence but I will check on that. Rear hatch screws is a good spot to check. The back has not been in an accident. Although the car has been hit on the driver side (very, very lightly) nearly 2 years ago.

As for the hatch door itself, doesn't really look all that out of place to me.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nova_Dust)

maybe its your jack and tools or the spare might be loose
Old 03-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

werd
Old 03-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KillBot)

it the rear plastic panel, IMO... take it apart, and put it back on, that plastic panel is held by a couple of plastic screw as well...i had that situtation and i fiddle with and i havent heard from it again ....
Old 03-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (JDMFreak)

Check all the plastic panels in the rear section. It could be the cargo cover, mine rattles a bit when going over a bumpy road. When I turn up the music my rear speaker panels also rattle a bit.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:12 AM

There are no rear panels, seats, nothing. Spare tire was examined and securely screwed down. As for the tools and jack stand, I cannot ignore that possibility until I remove it to test it out.

However, like I said, once the interior is warmed up, the sound tends to go away - not completely, but less.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nova_Dust)

I had the same kinda noise and it was my exhaust hitting my lca
Old 03-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the way the dealership tested my car for noise was a mechanic got in the trunk while I drove around and he probed around with a stethoscope till he found it. It was the rear cross bracket for the rear seats that got loose. but this was when the car was brand new, maybe 6 mths old so it was warranty work. Like when I tugged hard on the rear seatbelt, the noise would stop. try that
Old 03-16-2005, 04:27 AM

Has anyone ever changed their stock hatchdoor support? Will these go "bad" over time? I hear squeaking sounds when I open the hatchdoor, could this be the door joint or the support?

Thanks