Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

6k RPM Idle? (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6k RPM Idle? (Video)

I've searched around here and a bunch of other places but I haven't found an answer to my problem.

Short background on the car:

1996 Honda Civic DX with a D16Y8 swap into it.

Been going on for the past month and haven't figured it out. Or driven the car for that matter. I just dropped $540 on a brand new D16Y8 engine harness from Honda thinking that it would solve my problems because the old harness was all hacked up. But it didn't, car had a surging idle before. But now that all the sensors are properly connected with the new harness, it does something different.

When the car starts, it immediately rev's out to 6k-7k. The only CEL it throws is for the second O2 sensor because it's not plugged in. But that wouldn't cause the motor to run this way. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Things I've tried:

Swapping & Cleaning IACV's
Swapping Throttle Bodies
Swapping ECU's

The throttle body itself stays completely closed, I show this in the short video. So it's not because the TB is staying open.

So with that, it rules it the IACV, MAP and TPS sensors. When you unplug the IACV and try to start it, the idle surges like you would expect. Plug it back in, clear the code, start it up and it rev's out like it did before.

Anyways, here is the video:

http://media.putfile.com/Hatch-Idle
Old 09-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the intake manifold is not properly fastened down, a leak will cause the idle to shoot up to redline like that. Happened to me after swapping an intake manifold. That or one or more of your vaccuum lines are not in their correct place. Check the Intake Mani bolts, make sure they are tight as can be.

Also be aware that the MAP and TPS are both 3-wire plugs, and have the same shape, and are in the same general area, and are not hard to confuse, double check that.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

I was thinking of pulling the manifold off, installing a new gasket with some sealer and trying it again.

There is a tiny gap on the passenger side of the the manifold, might be enough to cause this. That's really the only thing I can think of that would do that. Because obviously the throttle body isn't controlling the air-flow so it's coming in elsewhere.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wischmaster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wischmaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was thinking of pulling the manifold off, installing a new gasket with some sealer and trying it again.

There is a tiny gap on the passenger side of the the manifold, might be enough to cause this. That's really the only thing I can think of that would do that. Because obviously the throttle body isn't controlling the air-flow so it's coming in elsewhere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, i would try that. Any gap would be enough to cause it to shoot up. When you do pull the intake mani, make sure to scrape away any of the old one, so that when the new is applied, it will sit flush and clean. Some gasket sealer wouldnt hurt either
Old 09-30-2007, 12:27 PM

You got a vacuum leak. Either TB gasket or intake gasket. Like Ej6mike said, make sure you clean off all the gasket or else you're still gonna leak. Make sure all the bolts are tighten.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: (dc2doi)

Thanks for the responses!

I took off the manifold and scraped all the surfaces. Bought a new gasket and coated each surface with the tack bond stuff for gaskets. Didn't want it to leak.

Got it all back together, started it, and it fired right up and idled perfect. Runs and drives fine now. Didn't think that the tiny gap made the car run that horrible.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vacume leak.. put ur hand over the TB and if the idel goes down u knwo u have a leak.. easy fix...
Old 10-01-2007, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wischmaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the responses!

I took off the manifold and scraped all the surfaces. Bought a new gasket and coated each surface with the tack bond stuff for gaskets. Didn't want it to leak.

Got it all back together, started it, and it fired right up and idled perfect. Runs and drives fine now. Didn't think that the tiny gap made the car run that horrible.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awsome