Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

5th gen hatch questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gen hatch questions

I have a cx model and i need to upgrade some things. I have a chance to get some power mirrors. My question is; the wiring, is it there? I have access to the mirrors and the switch. If the wiring is not there, then what would it take to wire it up myself?

Has anyone ever added a/c to a cx model that did not come with it? DOES it work or what? There is a dx coupe in the junkyard that has the A/c system intact. I am thinking about going over there and ripping it all out.

What about the JDM a/c controls? Has anyone done this? What is invloved?

Just asking, and NO, the search function does not work at all. Thanks
Old 04-04-2002, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th gen hatch questions (4g4me)

as for the JDM climate controls, what most or all people do is switch the face plate and the amber bulbs. it will not plug in and work. the mechanism is totally different. as for the A/C, i say don't do it unless you are gonna at least swap a D16 vtec in there. the 1.5 8 valve motor would barely move if it had A/C.
Old 04-04-2002, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a cx model and i need to upgrade some things. I have a chance to get some power mirrors. My question is; the wiring, is it there? I have access to the mirrors and the switch. If the wiring is not there, then what would it take to wire it up myself?
The wiring is not there. You will need to run your own wiring.

Has anyone ever added a/c to a cx model that did not come with it? DOES it work or what? There is a dx coupe in the junkyard that has the A/c system intact. I am thinking about going over there and ripping it all out.
I've installed A/C on an Si. You will need to get a HELM manual to see all the components your will need. It works and it totally bolt-on. If you buy a used kit, make it clear to the wrecking yard that you will be purchasing all the components required to install the A/C system. This means that if you have to come back to be a bolt or cover or wiring harness, you have the right to do so. Also, you will need a new filter/drier and o-rings.

What about the JDM a/c controls? Has anyone done this? What is invloved?
I don't know of anyone who has done it but I am sure there are people out there. Right now, for the average enthusiast, swapping the faces is the only option. There is a how-to on www.jdmfan.com
Old 04-04-2002, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 5th gen hatch questions (B_zurC)

as for the JDM climate controls, what most or all people do is switch the face plate and the amber bulbs. it will not plug in and work. the mechanism is totally different.
Yep the USDM climate controls are mechanical were as the JDM climate controls are electrical. The JDM controls are not plug and play, you use the JDM faceplate and amber bulbs on the USDM control box.

I know it was said before but that power mirror wiring isn't there. You will have to run new wires. You can source the mirror controls from a 92-95 Civic Si or Ex with power mirrors.

Good luck on the A/C

[Modified by SLPR, 2:18 PM 4/4/2002]
Old 04-04-2002, 01:24 PM

Thanks for all the information. Another thing, i heard the the wiring for the a/c system was there. IS this true, underhood and all? Doesn't sound right. I am going to have to see what is involved, man it sucks not having a/c.

As for the motor, I plan on doing a swap, but I need a/c first. They have a/c on cx's around here with the 8valve motor. I am sure they are turds though.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:42 PM

i know that you will need some wiring at least for the AC, because the condensor and fan require relays and plugs that you dont have.
good luck
Old 04-04-2002, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey whats up Mark anyways yea the CX doesnt have the rad. fan for the A/C, you will need that and some hose which i dont know whats it call and a a/c compressor and that lil button on the climate control and some rewiring