Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

500 K on these plugs . . . Bottom end next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 K on these plugs . . . Bottom end next?

Before I did my Mini Me swap the old plugs looked similar but were old and worn . . . beyond their life, hard to read. Just after I did my Mini Me swap I replaced the spark plugs. I have just driven 500k with no engine light. . . it thinks its running right.

The plugs tell a different story. The two darker ones come from the distributor side and the two like new ones come from the timing belt side.

Im pretty sure its the rings, pistons . . the cylinders looked great when I had it apart, the pistons were tight as well.

Is there anything I can do to revive the bottom end or the rings? . . .seafoam . .

Should I hook up my nitrous kit now and let it accelerate the problem

Should I rebuild the bottom and whats the best pistons to use for my y7/y8 build. Im working towards bottle fed High Rpm N/A setup.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 500 K on these plugs . . . Bottom end next?

Why guess? Test the engine to see if it's healthy. Chances are that it isn't so why even consider trying to add forced induction into the mix?

BTW Seafoam doesn't "revive" rings.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

maybe there stuck and old is it worth a try?

Im not going with forced induction, Im using a power adder. . . NX 50 shot wet kit. . .

Should I use this motor to the end of its life, rebuild, or replace the bottom end now . . .

its hard to blow up an oil burning Honda with all that lubrication :D
Old 06-07-2013, 08:10 AM
The Grumpiest

Nitrous is forced induction.

Do what you want to it.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Nitrous is forced induction.

Do what you want to it.
Forced Induction? Nitrous? no I don't think so . . . . There is no forcing nitrous into the cylinder, there is no rise in manifold pressure. . . .the nitrous gets sucked in. its like a different kind of fuel . . . . yes the cylinder pressure goes up . . but that's from a more combustible fuel being used.

There's people on both sides of the fence . . . . definitely Im on the power adder side . . . .. .

It could be said that turbo and a blower are power adders . . . but nitrous cannot be called forced induction.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:15 PM
The Grumpiest

According to NHRA, it is. Nitrous oxide is unnatural aspiration, because you are forcing more oxygen into the combustion chamber than would normally be ingested on its own, along with more fuel, to make a load more power. By definition, that is "forcing" more air into the engine, same thing that a turbocharger or supercharger does, but instead of compressing the air and shoving it in mechanically, nitrous does it chemically. Normal air is about 17% oxygen, and nitrous oxide is about 40% I believe, or over double the amount of oxygen. The rest is Nitrogen, which is an inert gas, so it will not burn. This will help reduce the possibility of detonation because it resists combustion, plus the process of breaking the oxygen and nitrogen apart in nitrous removes a tremendous amount of heat from the gas, dropping the vapors from ambient temperatures to below -40 in no time, which is another area where power is made. This is why the intercooler nitrous sprayer works. All a supercharger or turbocharger does to increase power is force more oxygen in so you can burn more fuel. Nitrous does the same thing, just with a refillable bottle instead of with a compressor. Also, as far as the NHRA is concerned, you have the same fire jacket and other safety requirements with nitrous on your car as you do with an aftermarket supercharger, for forced induction, so yes, it's the same.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500k on factory rings?! I thought *my* engine was terminator-tough for not needing new rings until 305K. Wow.

But, yea, your rings are probably on their last legs with that kind of mileage on them. Do a leakdown test if you want to make absolutely sure, but with 500k ticks, i'd say it's almost certain they need replaced. Re-ring the pistons and slap in some new bearings too before you go introducing anything fancy like forced induction.