Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

50 hp gain in a few hours!!!!! All for $21

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50 hp gain in a few hours!!!!! All for $21

Intro: I have an LS engine being built by myself, but I just can't find the motivation to build it. I drive a 92 CX. My friend just did a mini me conversion on a dx.

The Plot: He has a dx head lying around. So we decided to put it on my car. I buy a y8 head gasket. Make it into a 1 layer. Put it on with copper spray and get everything going. The car runs great. I love it alot actually, feels like a new car.

The Plot thickens: He has an dx tranny currently and a si out of the car. I have a cx tranny. He wants me to put the si tranny in, in exchange for the dx tranny. Should I? Think it will help with my "mini me" swap?

Basically I just wanted to tell everyone that I put a dx head on, exhaust, and made a 1 layer head gasket. I got the exhaust from a friend for free, the head was free, and the head gasket cost me $21 from Honda!!!! YAY FOR ME!!!!! 50 hp in a few hours...
Old 09-12-2003, 07:05 PM
I missed the boat

Default Re: 50 hp gain in a few hours!!!!! All for $21 (EF9_SiR)

Nice deal there As for the SI tranny, definitely way better gearing so why the heck not
Old 09-12-2003, 07:08 PM

for you

( and thinking like macguyver )
Old 09-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just put a p06 ecu on and of course im getting the o2 cel. oh well. but here is the weird thing. Until 4k its friggin BOGGING BAD. I mean so bad when it hits 4k it sounds like dohc vtec engaging. I kid you not. It is noticable, a lot. Should I upgrade to bigger injectors? The CX was running rich, possibly due to an injector stuck wide open? Thanks for the help!
Old 09-12-2003, 07:45 PM
New User

sweet
Old 09-12-2003, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 50 hp gain in a few hours!!!!! All for $21 (BlueHatch00)

how do u figure 50 horses
Old 09-12-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Re: 50 hp gain in a few hours!!!!! All for $21 (Red CiViC Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red CiViC Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do u figure 50 horses
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cx motor = 70 HP.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice
Old 09-13-2003, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 50 hp gain in a few hours!!!!! All for $21 (RangerDan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RangerDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Cx motor = 70 HP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's that have to do with anything? He hasn't mentioned if he dynoed it or what he dynoed at. I was wondering the same thing.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:45 AM

Default Re: 50 hp gain in a few hours!!!!! All for $21 (Red CiViC Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red CiViC Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do u figure 50 horses
</TD></TR></TABLE>

*Al Gore voice* it seems as though you have some different math in these equations dubya
Old 09-13-2003, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 50 hp gain in a few hours!!!!! All for $21 (Jswpstdoff)

How did I figure 50hp? Ok lets examine: (we are talking crank hp here)
CX engine has 70hp, DX has 106
The only difference in the two is the head, im, and tb
If you change out cx head for dx you would have a gain of 36 hp.

We put a 1 layer head gasket on it. Some of you may not be familiar with this but it increases the cr by about .8 so we assume a 8-9 hp gain from this.

Then we put a straight pipe exhaust with a muffler, it is a lot bigger than stock so there is a lot of gains here. Being modest lets just assume that this will give us a gin of 6 hp.

36+8+6=??????? thats right...50hp! wow!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2003, 06:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF9_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We put a 1 layer head gasket on it. Some of you may not be familiar with this but it increases the cr by about .8 so we assume a 8-9 hp gain from this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is it just me or does this seem a little inflated

and adding a head won't give you that many horses. take it to a dyno and you'll be disappointed. it's free so any gains are decent gains but lets not get carried away.

a little illogical think but based on your premise...........
take an LS engine 145 hp and add a CTR (185 hp) head will not give you 40 horses just b/c that's the difference in engine specs. there's alot more to the engine then just the head. i suppose if you put a y8 head on it you'd have gained 57 horses. I don't think so.

again I say take it to a dyno to prove you're claims
Old 09-13-2003, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jswpstdoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is it just me or does this seem a little inflated

and adding a head won't give you that many horses. take it to a dyno and you'll be disappointed. it's free so any gains are decent gains but lets not get carried away.</TD></TR></TABLE>How many race engines have you built? What do you know about compression raitos? Hmmm probably nothing. I'll eductate you. A stock Honda Headgasket is a 3 layer headgasket. It is good for comfort and reliability. BUt for every layer you take out, you are adding .4 to the compression ratio. Now for every 1.0 you raise the compression you are to assume that you will see again of 10 hp. This why why you remove two layers you add .8, so .8 would equal out to 8hp. Correct? Yes It is. And as for the head. The CX head is an 8 valve heas with crackhead arm sized intake runners. In other words it gets no flow. Oh yeah and the TB on the dx is over a 1/4" bigger than the cx. so all of this adds hp anyways. add 8 more valves into the mixture and things start making sense. The B8 block and the b7 block (cx to dx) are identical, 16v pistons, the same stamping, everything. So where does honda make the 36 hp gain? (70cx-106dx) Probably in the head. And as for everyone asking about dynos? hAH! Why would i dyno this and waste my money. The main reason I did this was because it only cost me $21.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jswpstdoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

a little illogical think but based on your premise...........
take an LS engine 145 hp and add a CTR (185 hp) head will not give you 40 horses just b/c that's the difference in engine specs. there's alot more to the engine then just the head. i suppose if you put a y8 head on it you'd have gained 57 horses. I don't think so.

again I say take it to a dyno to prove you're claims</TD></TR></TABLE>And your point is? You are comparing apples to oranges. The ls block and the ctr block are completely different. However the cx and dx are all the same. The pistons are the same and even the head. The 8v valve cover fits over the dx head . Try doing this with a d16z6 and it doesnt happen. Ever looked at a CX head? It has the spots for the other 8 valves, they just arent cut. So they are one in the same.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:24 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF9_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are to assume that you will see again of 10 hp.
So where does honda make the 36 hp gain? (70cx-106dx) Probably in the head. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't need you to educate me on anything. When you assume, and use words like probably, then I know you're not sure exactly what you're saying. You're just arguing for the sake of trying not to look wrong. You don't have to take it to a dyno but don't make claims that are obviously inflated.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my use of probably is my way of being a smartass and telling you whats up.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF9_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The pistons are the same and even the head. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's the same, then how could you expect any gains

figure out what you're trying to say and tell someone else, so that they can form meaningful sentences for you
Old 09-13-2003, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's the same, then how could you expect any gains </TD></TR></TABLE>WOW!!!!!!!! are you ready to get OWNED? If you read. Yes that includes looking for details...you will see that I said that the cx head has 8 valves and the dx head has 16 valves. Its just that the cx head has "blank spots" for where the other 8 valves would go in the dx head. Jeez. dude if you dont know the basics about this, then you shouldn't have even posted in this thread or in this forum. jeez.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:37 AM

You said the pistons and the head were the same. I was busting on you because you just made yourself look stupid. Take my advice and get someone else to help you communicate.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF9_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">However the cx and dx are all the same. The pistons are the same and even the head. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what I was talking about. If this is true then you gained **** from swapping the heads. Re-read what you wrote and have someone else edit this mis-information.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the pistons are the same. If you read it says that the heads are the same, just one has 16 valves and the other has 8 valves.

and why would you choose to not append your signature? IS it because it speaks to exactly what you are doing?????

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Signature

"......... never be afraid to say 'I don't know'."
see the search button up there, use it, it will only make you smarter

# of posts is not an equal measurement of knowledge or wisdom
</TD></TR></TABLE>

EDIT: with your quote, i was referring to the casting of the head.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:40 AM

what are researching me?? get a life
Old 09-13-2003, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do have a life. I have to go build a race engine for the ECHC and then change out trannies in two cars. OHHHHH is this car work? I think it is. You are probably not familiar with this so go back to gdd.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF9_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are probably not familiar with this so go back to gdd.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're such a poser. Have a nice day and a

Quick Reply: 50 hp gain in a few hours!!!!! All for $21