Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

5 gear pops out!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 gear pops out!!

Hey guys i need help on this issue. i'm runnin a b16 tranny in my Eg and when im rollin in 5th gear after a while of cruisin' it'll just pop out, unless i hold it in gear firmly. what could possibly be the cause for this effect?? 3rd grinds(ofcourse) and 5th does sometimes. but really dont have any major problems with it except this, hope ya'll guys can help me out, thanks!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Re: 5 gear pops out!! (jdmstyler)

its gonna get worse and worse then its gonna go down the line and start doing it in 4th... then 3rd... 2nd... then one day while your driving it and holding it in gear its gonna BLOW! atleast thats what happened to my teg a few years back. When i put new cv axles in i busted the seal on the tranny and leaked fluid until it blew... so my advise is check the oil in the tranny and if you need more u can use 10w-30 motor oil i think?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:39 PM

So you think it might just be low on oil!? damn this sounds serious i didnt think it was gonna be that bad. so do you have any other advise i would really like to keep the b16, im having fun with it on my LS.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmstyler)

mine did that and i replaced the clutch and thowout berring and it fixed it.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:50 PM

Mugen when you replaced the clutch u had to fill the oil right?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (b18bcrxhf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18bcrxhf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mugen when you replaced the clutch u had to fill the oil right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Replacing the clutch has nothing to do with the oil in the transmission. When you take the axles out, if the tranny's not level, it will pour out, but if you do it properly in a shop you won't spill a drop of fluid while doing a clutch job.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmstyler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys i need help on this issue. i'm runnin a b16 tranny in my Eg and when im rollin in 5th gear after a while of cruisin' it'll just pop out, unless i hold it in gear firmly. what could possibly be the cause for this effect?? 3rd grinds(ofcourse) and 5th does sometimes. but really dont have any major problems with it except this, hope ya'll guys can help me out, thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would try running GM Synchromesh (Friction Modified) and see if that works. Works really well in Honda transmissions and sometimes gets rid of grinds. You can pick it up at any GM/Chevrolet dealership.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then your synchro's for that particular gear is messed up & needs to be replaced.

HTH..

BTW: Arch is right about the oil

Old 12-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5 gear pops out!! (poison)

teeth on the 5th gear syncro is probaly worn out
Old 12-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my b16 tranny did that and it was low on fluid, topped it off then it was good to go
Old 12-29-2006, 05:26 PM

"Replacing the clutch has nothing to do with the oil in the transmission. When you take the axles out, if the tranny's not level, it will pour out, but if you do it properly in a shop you won't spill a drop of fluid while doing a clutch job."

that was the reason i was asking cause when i do it on the ground i always spill a lil so i make sure its topped off and if he put oil in and the noise went away we just might have a solution to the problem!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1849257 read the bottom half.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Replacing the clutch has nothing to do with the oil in the transmission. When you take the axles out, if the tranny's not level, it will pour out, but if you do it properly in a shop you won't spill a drop of fluid while doing a clutch job.</TD></TR></TABLE>

archidictus, to get the tranny to clear you have to lower the tranny at an angle and the oil can come out. thats possibly why he said that. you can successfully remove the transmission with the motor still in the engine bay while keeping it level enough to not loose fluid??? i need to learn that trick.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YOU ARE JUST LOW ON GEAR OIL !
Old 12-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">archidictus, to get the tranny to clear you have to lower the tranny at an angle and the oil can come out. thats possibly why he said that. you can successfully remove the transmission with the motor still in the engine bay while keeping it level enough to not loose fluid??? i need to learn that trick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you remove both the engine mounts and use two jacks you can lower the entire drivetrain enough to move the transmission out from under the car without spilling It Negates the need for tilting
Old 12-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you remove both the engine mounts and use two jacks you can lower the entire drivetrain enough to move the transmission out from under the car without spilling It Negates the need for tilting </TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont think its easier just to drain the tranny instead of dropping the entire motor/tranny together??? and you meant all three mounts and both torque mounts right??? plus exhaust, fuel lines, coolant lines, and any wiring that might get snatched while lowering the motor. TOO much work, just drain the oil in the tranny.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont think its easier just to drain the tranny instead of dropping the entire motor/tranny together??? and you meant all three mounts and both torque mounts right??? plus exhaust, fuel lines, coolant lines, and any wiring that might get snatched while lowering the motor. TOO much work, just drain the oil in the tranny. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I definately agree with you. I've done it both ways...the way I wrote out I did the first time being super careful before I realized I didn't give a **** and I cut cut the job in half by tilting and refilling
Old 12-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh, I definately agree with you. I've done it both ways...the way I wrote out I did the first time being super careful before I realized I didn't give a **** and I cut cut the job in half by tilting and refilling </TD></TR></TABLE>

cool, just making sure you didnt know a trick i didnt.