Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   4k rev limit using P3F crv ecu 99 EX civic b20z2 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/4k-rev-limit-using-p3f-crv-ecu-99-ex-civic-b20z2-3337741/)

Chrisfrom1986 06-08-2019 01:45 PM

4k rev limit using P3F crv ecu 99 EX civic b20z2

Having issues with my swap running right after putting a b20z2 in my 99 ex manual sedan.

1. I have a CEL for auto trans because I ended up with an auto trans P3F thinking I could modify it like an obd1 ecu. Nope.
2. Another CEL for ect sensor. I don't remember if I had that code when this same swap was running problem free in my eg hatch.
3. I'm using an obd1 ls manifold because I didn't have the obd2 purge sensor to cover the hole in the obd2 manifold.
4. I'm using an obd1 ls distributor wired correctly.
5. The engine idle hunts badly with the IACV plugged in but normally with it unplugged. It also makes a whining or humming noise.
6. No speedometer. It didn't work in my hatch either so the vss likely needs to be replaced.
7. Fuel pressure gauge reading too high. About 64 psi at idle with completely stock fuel system.
8. Big time miss between 1500-2400 rpm

Biggest problem that I can't find a solution for is a 4k rev limit above 1/4 throttle. You can slowly rev it above 4k but any further throttle increase it cuts back down to 4k. Would the ecu being automatic cause this?

Fuel pressure being too high, what would cause this? I'm not sure but I think I'm using an obd1 b16a fuel line to obd2 fuel rail. I tried to use the stock d16y8 fuel line and it was a for sure no go.

I'm not well versed in obd2 so I'm sure it's something simple Im overlooking.

muellersfan 06-08-2019 03:09 PM

Re: 4k rev limit using P3F crv ecu 99 EX civic b20z2

Running an OBD2 CRV ECU in a 99 Civic is surely a bad decision.

Chrisfrom1986 06-08-2019 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51947077)

Obd2b engine, chassis, ecu and harness, what's the issue?

muellersfan 06-08-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 (Post 51947121)
Obd2b engine, chassis, ecu and harness, what's the issue?

Trans, emissions, etc. The ECU is made for a completely different car. It just wasn't in the cards for you.

Work on a new plan (e.g., OBD1).

Chrisfrom1986 06-09-2019 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51947124)
Trans, emissions, etc. The ECU is made for a completely different car. It just wasn't in the cards for you.

Work on a new plan (e.g., OBD1).

This basically tells me you have no idea what you're talking about.

muellersfan 06-09-2019 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 (Post 51947220)
This basically tells me you have no idea what you're talking about.

The truth can be painful. You're still mourning the loss of a bad idea. It will take you a while to let go.

Chrisfrom1986 06-09-2019 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51947228)
The truth can be painful. You're still mourning the loss of a bad idea. It will take you a while to let go.

Either explain the problem or provide a solution using the given parameters.
The ecu is correct for the engine and the chassis obd series.

TomCat39 06-09-2019 07:08 AM

The first thing that stands out to me, why do you think obd1 anything is going to work with an obd2 ecu?

Also, why do you think an obd2 ecu (not configurable) automatic will not automatically be in limp mode when it isn't attached to the specific automatic transmission it was made for?

obd2 you can't just flop ecu's around anyway you want without them having severe rebuttals.

Chrisfrom1986 06-09-2019 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by TomCat39 (Post 51947245)
The first thing that stands out to me, why do you think obd1 anything is going to work with an obd2 ecu?

Also, why do you think an obd2 ecu (not configurable) automatic will not automatically be in limp mode when it isn't attached to the specific automatic transmission it was made for?

obd2 you can't just flop ecu's around anyway you want without them having severe rebuttals.

The only obd1 parts are the intake manifold, which is just hardware, and the distributor which uses the same main plug as the obd2b civic. You simply add a single wire and connect it. Also if there is a difference between the years of IACV, I'm not sure.

Should I also add that it's running on a firewall mounted map sensor and TB setup?

Also I clearly stated I don't know much about the obd2 ecu and was reading nowhere that an automatic ecu would cause limp mode when searching what would cause it. If it's simply the case of obd2 automatic ecus won't work then it could have easily been said the first time by mullersfan instead of the cryptic bullshit he did.

I'll look for a manual ecu

muellersfan 06-09-2019 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 (Post 51947244)
Either explain the problem or provide a solution using the given parameters.
The ecu is correct for the engine and the chassis obd series.

Honestly, it's much easier just to nudge you in the right direction. The general type of OBD2 swap you suggest has been discussed over and over again on the internet. If you are dead set on taking the wrong path, then do your own research and prove everyone else wrong. Without, doubt, we will soon be seeing you make another thread asking how to do the generic OBD1 swap that's been done many times. Will you search the internet to make this discovery or will ask people to do the work for you?

Chrisfrom1986 06-09-2019 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51947278)
Honestly, it's much easier just to nudge you in the right direction. The general type of OBD2 swap you suggest has been discussed over and over again on the internet. If you are dead set on taking the wrong path, then do your own research and prove everyone else wrong. Without, doubt, we will soon be seeing you make another thread asking how to do the generic OBD1 swap that's been done many times. Will you search the internet to make this discovery or will ask people to do the work for you?

You didn't help anything. Did you not read all the information I gave in the first post? Do you not see my location? Obviously I could use a conversion harness and P28. I'm staying obd2 for a reason. Simply stating that obd2 automatic ecu's won't run in a manual transmission configuration would have been enough, so what was the point of your post?

I don't need help with any obd1 swap, my d16y8 is running just fine on a p28 with the y8 distributor in my eg.

TomCat39 06-09-2019 11:02 AM

The point was an attempt to get you researching a bit on your own instead of being "spoon fed" as is the term used by mos here.

Like was stated, your swap has been well documented and tons of information is available including answers to your questions. The hope was for you to help yourself some.

muellersfan 06-09-2019 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 (Post 51947302)
You didn't help anything. Did you not read all the information I gave in the first post? Do you not see my location? Obviously I could use a conversion harness. I'm staying obd2 for a reason. Simply stating that obd2 automatic ecu's won't run in a manual transmission configuration would have been enough, so what was the point of your post?

I don't need help with any obd1 swap, my d16y8 is running just fine on a p28 with the y8 distributor in my eg.

You are unhelpable because you don't listen and can't understand. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

Chrisfrom1986 06-09-2019 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by TomCat39 (Post 51947311)
The point was an attempt to get you researching a bit on your own instead of being "spoon fed" as is the term used by mos here.

Like was stated, your swap has been well documented and tons of information is available including answers to your questions. The hope was for you to help yourself some.

I have ZERO questions about the swap. The question related to the ECU which I clearly stated TWICE now that I don't know much about obd2 ecus. Your first post was all that needed to be said as far as the limp mode issue. So I don't understand why you both are misinterpreting that I know how to do the swap. All my research showed only that you can't convert obd2 ecus to manual like obd1. Nothing said anywhere that using an automatic ecu will cause limp mode. I was trying to figure out if it was the auto ecu, or the vss not working that was causing limp mode.

By the way next time you edit my post pay attention to what you're doing. You removed more than the word asshat from the post.

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51947312)
You are unhelpable because you don't listen and can't understand. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

Your posts in this thread had zero useful content and you continue to post garbage.

Ryanthegreat1 06-09-2019 11:46 AM

Probably not related but an automatic K series PCM will work with manual transmission. Not sure if the same applies to B series stuff. Probably upset about not having a transmission to talk to.

muellersfan 06-09-2019 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 (Post 51947315)

Your posts in this thread had zero useful content and you continue to post garbage.

You understand very little about Hondas. That's why you created this thread. Time will teach you that your immaturity prevented you from accepting advice from people who know the car much better than you ever will.

Please prove me wrong.

Chrisfrom1986 06-09-2019 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51947338)
You understand very little about Hondas. That's why you created this thread. Time will teach you that your immaturity prevented you from accepting advice from people who know the car much better than you ever will.

Please prove me wrong.

I already proved that you have no reading comprehension.

tony_2018 06-09-2019 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 (Post 51947052)
Having issues with my swap running right after putting a b20z2 in my 99 ex manual sedan.

1. I have a CEL for auto trans because I ended up with an auto trans P3F thinking I could modify it like an obd1 ecu. Nope.
2. Another CEL for ect sensor. I don't remember if I had that code when this same swap was running problem free in my eg hatch.
3. I'm using an obd1 ls manifold because I didn't have the obd2 purge sensor to cover the hole in the obd2 manifold.
4. I'm using an obd1 ls distributor wired correctly.
5. The engine idle hunts badly with the IACV plugged in but normally with it unplugged. It also makes a whining or humming noise.
6. No speedometer. It didn't work in my hatch either so the vss likely needs to be replaced.
7. Fuel pressure gauge reading too high. About 64 psi at idle with completely stock fuel system.
8. Big time miss between 1500-2400 rpm

Biggest problem that I can't find a solution for is a 4k rev limit above 1/4 throttle. You can slowly rev it above 4k but any further throttle increase it cuts back down to 4k. Would the ecu being automatic cause this?

Fuel pressure being too high, what would cause this? I'm not sure but I think I'm using an obd1 b16a fuel line to obd2 fuel rail. I tried to use the stock d16y8 fuel line and it was a for sure no go.

I'm not well versed in obd2 so I'm sure it's something simple Im overlooking.

Should look for the fsm to see what's keeping the ecu from running properly, might be something you can try.

muellersfan 06-09-2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 (Post 51947375)
You proved that you have no reading comprehension.

It will take you a very long time, possibly more than a lifetime, to realize the fatally flawed assumptions made in your first post. As I was the one who happened to point out those flaws, you will "shoot the messenger" as you have nobody else to blame except yourself.

Chrisfrom1986 06-09-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51947384)
It will take you a very long time, possibly more than a lifetime, to realize the fatally flawed assumptions made in your first post. As I was the one who happened to point out those flaws, you will "shoot the messenger" as you have nobody else to blame except yourself.

No you said 'oh crv ecu in a civic there's your problem'. So then I guess I can't use an Integra ecu in the civic either.

Tom was the one who gave the straight answer, which is what I suspected initially and mentioned in the first post.

muellersfan 06-09-2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 (Post 51947401)
So then I guess I can't use an Integra ecu in the civic either.

Here's what I actually said.

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51947077)

And you just fell down the rabbit hole again.

Show me a definitive link where somebody in CA used an OBD2 Integra ECU in a Civic where the Civic threw no codes, ran well, and passed legal CA inspection.

You will find that supporting whimsical claims without thorough research is difficult and also embarrassing.

TomCat39 06-09-2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 (Post 51947315)
You removed more than the word asshat from the post.

I removed the portion of the sentence with asshat to be grammatically correct. Roughly 4 words that all were a part of the asshat name calling and had nothing to do with any other part of the sentence, paragraph or context outside of the name calling.

The person that needs to pay attention or watch themselves is you.
Next time I may be inclined to delete the post and ban if I deem it necessary.

Your attitude makes it challenging at best.

For now I'm closing the thread as everyone is getting riled up and preventing any productivity. Thread stopped to avert a flame war pursuing.