Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A 400 whp Civic Sir for daily drive is possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A 400 whp Civic Sir for daily drive is possible?

Hello all,
New to honda-tech and I'm looking for some knowledge before I actually start my project. Sorry if my writing is not perfect but english is not my native lenguage.

Ok, right now I have a 2000 Civic Sir with a b16a2 engine (just bought it a couple days ago) I would love to have a b18c1 engine but I'm from Mexico and believe me, is really hard to find that kind of engines here.

I have some basic knowledge about cars and some skills, I also have some other people that will help so I will be uploading the progress of the car, even if this lasts a couple years.

So, lets start with the questions:

1) I want to ride my car just on weekends so, Is it possible to get 400 whp for this car and this kind of use? Or should I look for something lower?

2) Like I said before, I would love to have a b18c1 engine so, Is a good idea start my project with my current b16 engine and even reaching my object change the engine for a b18? Would it be "easy" just to change the engine or should I wait until a can get a b18 engine?

3) What do I need? How do I start? Well, I know where to start: SUSPENSION. My current suspension is horrible so I will replace it. Do you recommend coils? or what kind of suspension should I get for these goals?

4) Should I turbo it?

About my budget; Im not sure how much would it cost but around 10k-15k could be enought? I want good quality parts but not the expensive ones, something "good enought".

Thanks for any info you got. If I'm missing something please let me know.

Salu2!

Here are some pics of the car today:
(Please dont judge me about the color, I just bought it "as is")

Old 01-02-2015, 08:01 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: A 400 whp Civic Sir for daily drive is possible?

OMG! These threads are dropping like flies!

Start here.
https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...tions-1998336/
Come back when you have specific technical questions.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha thank you, and sorry is just that I didn't know where to start to look for.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With a bit of work and paint Im sure this car will look great. What color are you going? And 400hp will be very tough without a turbo. Good luck
Old 01-02-2015, 11:35 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

The two places you should start is the FAQ that is a sticky at the top of this forum, then go into the Forced Induction section and check the FAQ that is a sticky at the top of that forum.

And for extra info you can also go into the Naturally Aspirated section and read in the FAQ stickied in that forum.

That should provide you with a lot of details of what is and is not possible and what route would best suit your needs.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Canada96
With a bit of work and paint Im sure this car will look great. What color are you going? And 400hp will be very tough without a turbo. Good luck
Yeah I know, I'll maybe paint it black, blue or red, not sure right now, I going to left all the cosmetic details last.

I know would be hard without a turbo, thats why I wanna know how to prepare the engine fot it.

Thank you a lot bro.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:14 AM
The Grumpiest

Read up. You're not doing it PERIOD without a turbo or some form of forced induction.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
The two places you should start is the FAQ that is a sticky at the top of this forum, then go into the Forced Induction section and check the FAQ that is a sticky at the top of that forum.

And for extra info you can also go into the Naturally Aspirated section and read in the FAQ stickied in that forum.

That should provide you with a lot of details of what is and is not possible and what route would best suit your needs.
Thanks, I'm already reading these articles. I appreciate the help.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, I'm a little confuse. Maybe I don't understand very clearly the suspension articles because some words are new for me.

Like I said before, I'm going to start with my suspension because my current one is terrible.

I'm going for Koni Ground Control suspension setup, but my doubt is what shocks should buy? (Shock is "amortiguador" in spanish right?)

The packages I see just include:
(4) Ground Control/Eibach springs
(4) Threaded sleeve/adjustable spring perch combinations
(1) Instruction set
(1) Hardware & Tool package

I can't find a package with the shocks included.

Also I'm confuse about the spring rates. I know I need something around 350 front a rear rates but how do I ajust the suspension so I obtain these rates?

Forgive the ignorant question, but my weakest point is suspension.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this thread is from 2005, alot of options have come out since then. but it shows some options to get you started on doing your own research.

Reference: Honda Spring Rates - ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum

the decision making is yours... options are endless!!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Sir Frank. Sounds like a really nice project. Just sharing some of the things I know...

D18c1 is a 1.8l engine braking out some 170hp. What you are looking at is almost 2.5times of the engine's designed output. So you'll need a lot of mods in around the engine.

Like grumblemarc said correctly you will need some sort of forced induction and a turbo charger is the best option. However, note D18 engine has a compression ratio of 10:1. This is not recommended for a turbo. Anything above 9:1 compression ratio with a turbo might blow you're engine. So you will have to lower the compression ratio by using low compression connecting rods and/or low boom pistons. I am not sure about the connecting rod lengths of this engine so you will have to do your research and select carefully.

Do not forget the piston rings as these guys are holding back the additional boost pressure you are putting.

Then you will have to port your valves (both intake and exhaust) and replace manifolds. For exhaust I would recommend a Stainless steel manifold in order to go with the turbo. It will also look nice

Also you will have to replace the whole exhaust line all the way to the muffler. You might need 3" or higher.

And finally, you will not obtain max unless you remap your ECU. You will need some professional help there.

Quiet a list of stuff eh? Well, hope this helps and good luck
Old 01-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh... one more thing. When you put all those horses to work you will also need to think how you should stop! Stock brakes MUST GO. Consider some 4 piston disk brakes from a brand like Brembo.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ajofkandy
Oh... one more thing. When you put all those horses to work you will also need to think how you should stop! Stock brakes MUST GO. Consider some 4 piston disk brakes from a brand like Brembo.
lol funny my single piston ITR breaks stop my 340whp tegg just fine... coupled with hawk blues. Its all about the pad and tires everyone over looks that go into the brake and suspension forum and see how you last saying that.

if you're talking about driveability of a 400whp b series that's not hard with a turbo... and its a walk in the park on a K-swapped car w/kraftwerks kit. I'd be more worried about the cartels then driveability.. k series, turbo b series if k isn't an option.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:18 AM
The Grumpiest

However, note D18 engine has a compression ratio of 10:1. This is not recommended for a turbo. Anything above 9:1 compression ratio with a turbo might blow you're engine. So you will have to lower the compression ratio by using low compression connecting rods and/or low boom pistons.
This information is incorrect and outdated. High compression turbo builds are the new norm now possible by the advance in tuning instruments and talented, experienced tuners.

Pardon me for making you an example but this is the most important reason you do not take anyone's advice when it comes to the application of making power. Someone comes along and gives you old or wrong info that you follow that in turn leads you down the wrong path, wasting time, effort and possibly money. At the very least you need to research and verify anything anyone tries to tell you, including the forum vets.

The information is there. Get up off your *** and find it.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sir Frank: Here is the link to the "Honda-Tech Special" from Ground Control, which includes the Koni shocks as well as the Ground Control coilover system. Ground Control - Honda Tech Special Kit

The "spring rates" that you are talking about obtained by selecting what rates you want from the drop-down menu on that link. Basically they are how thick the spring that you are buying is. Once bought, they are not adjustable. On my 1999 Civic Hatchback I have 500lb/in in the front and 400lb/in in the rear and I think it rides very well.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:30 AM
The Grumpiest

Spring rates are the amount of weight/force it takes for a spring to be compressed 1 inch. At least that's what I read a while back. Verify it.

Performance and comfort regarding spring rates are highly subjective. Meaning that what one person finds comfortable another will find harsh and unbearable. No one, I repeat, no one can tell you what rate is what. That will only come from trial and error. Sorry. Again, do your research.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Spring rates are the amount of weight/force it takes for a spring to be compressed 1 inch. At least that's what I read a while back. Verify it.

Performance and comfort regarding spring rates are highly subjective. Meaning that what one person finds comfortable another will find harsh and unbearable. No one, I repeat, no one can tell you what rate is what. That will only come from trial and error. Sorry. Again, do your research.
I've actually had a lot of difficulty researching spring rates.

It seems the stock rates are available from 6th generation and probably up.

For the life of me, I could not find any concrete stock rates for the 5th gen. I also don't know if that might be an issue for the 4th gen etc.

In my case I was also looking for the hatchback in the 5th gen and that might be where the difficulty lies.

In some instances you have to sift through subjective opinions of others whom have used and applied various rates as there isn't any baseline to go off of.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:50 AM
The Grumpiest

Stock rates are/were pretty soft. Even on my 8th gen. I would think it would be safe to say that whatever we were rolling on for the 6th generation would be comparable for the 5th gens vehicles.

The trick, my rule of thumb, in choosing an upgraded set of springs would be knowing those rates and then picking something closer to the lower range to maintain "comfort" or going higher to gain greater "performance".

Like I said. Someone recommended 500f.400r and said they rode okay. I saw someone recommend a 350/350 and the owner said the ride was way too harsh.

However, none of this computes if you cheap out and get some unbranded pieces off of Ebay because you believe "a spring is just a spring". And that's just the springs!!!! Let's not even get into the shocks and what role they play. You're safer getting a set or matching components.

That's all I'm going to volunteer. I already wrote up a thread on what I always advise. People tend not to want to read it.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock rates are/were pretty soft.
P = Progressive
L = Linear

96-00 EX factory 165F/80R (P/P)
99-00 Si (EM1) factory 201F/99.8R (P/P)
CTR factory 240F/240R (L/P)

the first set of struts and spring i ran were eibach sportlines on the cheap skunk2 struts for a year and didn't find it harsh at all. rears could have been a bit stiffer, i had 100lbs of stereo gear in the trunk also. rear struts blew after the first winter.

Eibach Sportline 310F/275R (P/P)
Old 01-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottied15
this thread is from 2005, alot of options have come out since then. but it shows some options to get you started on doing your own research.

Reference: Honda Spring Rates - ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum

the decision making is yours... options are endless!!
Thanks! It helped me a lot.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it Thanks for the advises, I'll keep them in mind when I'll start to upgrade the engine =D
Old 01-03-2015, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
lol funny my single piston ITR breaks stop my 340whp tegg just fine... coupled with hawk blues. Its all about the pad and tires everyone over looks that go into the brake and suspension forum and see how you last saying that.

if you're talking about driveability of a 400whp b series that's not hard with a turbo... and its a walk in the park on a K-swapped car w/kraftwerks kit. I'd be more worried about the cartels then driveability.. k series, turbo b series if k isn't an option.
Yeah I knew something about good tires and pads, however I'll check the forum later.

About driveability is not really my main concern, I'm more focus on: "would the engine support this power for a long time?" and is it possible with a b16a2 engine? I don't have a very high purchasing power so I want do the things right.

Do you thing that amount of power would let me enjoy my engine for a long time? (Like I said before, I'll just drive it on weekends).

Any idea about how much would cost me that amount of power?
Old 01-03-2015, 03:21 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS motor, $500. Forged internals, $1500. Valvetrain (good idea, but not necessary), $1000. Machine work, $500. LSD transmission (you need one with those power levels), $1500. Turbo setup, $3000. Those are really rough numbers, but purely for the power, it's completely doable. Put in the research yourself, and you would already know that.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This information is incorrect and outdated. High compression turbo builds are the new norm now possible by the advance in tuning instruments and talented, experienced tuners.

Pardon me for making you an example but this is the most important reason you do not take anyone's advice when it comes to the application of making power. Someone comes along and gives you old or wrong info that you follow that in turn leads you down the wrong path, wasting time, effort and possibly money. At the very least you need to research and verify anything anyone tries to tell you, including the forum vets.

The information is there. Get up off your *** and find it.
Hahaha thanks again. I have already read some of the articles you told me.
I'll keep doing my homework and try to make a good research. Don't give up on me.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir Frank
Yeah I knew something about good tires and pads, however I'll check the forum later.

About driveability is not really my main concern, I'm more focus on: "would the engine support this power for a long time?" and is it possible with a b16a2 engine? I don't have a very high purchasing power so I want do the things right.

Do you thing that amount of power would let me enjoy my engine for a long time? (Like I said before, I'll just drive it on weekends).

Any idea about how much would cost me that amount of power?
1.8l displacement helps alot and is almost a must, treat it right and don't beat the **** out of it and sure it will. doing things right isn't cheap ppl need to learn that, 400ish is a fun amount my 05 sti made 369/324 and I loved it. current turbo tegg is in the works will be in the mid 340's, no idea you're in a foreign country I don't know your shipping costs or exchange rate.

Quick Reply: A 400 whp Civic Sir for daily drive is possible?