Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

40+mph steering start to wiggle left and right

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40+mph steering start to wiggle left and right

last night hit some bump on the way home...and it drove fine...until 4pm today i took the car out and drove around , i noticed that the car steering wheel shake from left to right rapidly as i increase speed. i thought that is my tire that bubble up, so i replace my driver side front tire because that tire is where i hit most of the bumps..but the tire tech said that i need to do wheel balancing and alignment..( although my alighment is off ) so what could it be guys.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 40+mph steering start to wiggle left and right

wheel balancing is a great place to start. the tech doing the wheel balancing should look for bent rims and or tire tire hopping.

alignment is a good place to end since your alignment is more then likely out of spec. alignments in itself will not fix a vibration.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rotate your tires first. is probably a bent wheel or tire damage .
Old 05-26-2009, 06:07 PM

the tire tech check all four of my tire before i replace the front driver side tire...he said the other three were fine....except for the driverside tire...then i replace that tire and it still happening...is wierd that it didnt happen during i was home lastnight, but until today 4pm tonight i drove the car and i was like WTF...it pissing me off...i will go and rotate and wheel balancing the tire tomorrow..and start from there..but i asked the tire tech and they said it will not blow out on you while u drive...im like whewwwss
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a bent rim would cause the new tire to follow the bent rim resulting in a wobble. take it back to him and say it still shakes at 40+

loose lugnuts would also cause a vibration..double check them...80 ft lbs of torque. and this kind of fits your ...."was fine for a little bit then it vibrates symptom."

also keep in mind if you have aftermarket rims it will be harder for the tech to balance them. if you cant see stick on weights close to the outside lip then the tech didnt balance them correctly.

one more thing..lol.. it is very possible he did use stick on weights but possibly they flew off when you were driving. did you hear a clunk in the wheel well area?

either way...you should take your car back to the tech and say it vibrates and to recheck the balance. dotn let him tell you its alignment because no way possible for an alignment to cause a balance.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:31 PM

well when he replace the tire for me..his wheel balancing machine is down..so he replace the tire but he didnt balancing it..so he said be back tomorrow and i will tell him balancing the tire....should i balancing all four or just two tires..and i don get the process of balancing the tire gusy..please tell me the process...im a noob, and i dont see the stick on wieght sticker thingy on my tire...but what that sticky on wieght thingy will help anything..
Old 05-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you may have to check to see if your c.v boot to see if it ripped because if that happend then your ball and joint are probably dry and that causes it to vibrate
Old 05-26-2009, 06:54 PM

well if is dry i put oil on it or i replace it
Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a side note to all:
An out of spec wheel alignment DOES NOT CAUSE A VIBRATION. The vibration is caused by the wheels (out of round, bent, etc), tires (balance, broken/slipped belt, etc.) and/or drivetrain (CV half shaft).
Old 05-26-2009, 07:46 PM

im forcing to selling my laptop to figure this out right now.....and my axle are fine.....i check both side.....i have been doing research for like 4 hour now..haven found anyone on azht, honda-tech , or ******** that has a same symptom! and my axle are fine and my cv boot are not ripped..and does honda-tech hated northwoodpizza4life or something , because when i type
n-w-p-4-l-i-f-e is appearred as a *********

Last edited by ekmushi_mushi; 05-26-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:44 PM

bump !
Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you cant mount a tire and not balance it. it will shake guaranteed!.

its not your axle..nor balljoints or whatever anyone else is posting...its a balancing issue.

balancing issue is straight up rim or tire issue.

best way to describe what balancing does for yoru tire is like this.... try walking on a highwire like in the circus. its quite hard to just walk across without any help. now try walking across with a long pipe or stick that extends 5ft outward each side. it will be much easier.

wheel weights act as sort of the same thing. no tire and rim are perfectly round. the letters on your tire saying what brand they are is considered weight! the valve stem on your rim is considered a loss of metal resulting in no weioght there. balancing is the act of adding or subracting weight to compensate for these minor weight indifferneces.

moving on..there are a couple of diffrent ways to balance tires nowadays. the old steelie style rims used lead weights on the rim lip (the outest most part just like the pipe idea waling across the rope).

aluminum rims came around and people are very picky about those same lead weights scratching the clearcoating on the rims which if the clearcoat is removed would result in an ugly oxidation blemish over time. the fix was to install a stick on weight (think 3m tape with lead) inside the rim closest to the outer lip as possible.

there are a couple more "methods" used to balance diffrent types of tires but its basically boil downs to lead weights or stick on weights in diffrent locations and possibly a mix of the two methods.

this si also why you never ever ever put fix-aflat inside a tire because it the water/sludge is weight and you will get a vibration.

bottom line...your tire needs to be balanced since your tire tech never balanced the tire. which method you choose is up to you. hope this helps..sorry about the novel
Old 05-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheJGB3
On a side note to all:
An out of spec wheel alignment DOES NOT CAUSE A VIBRATION. The vibration is caused by the wheels (out of round, bent, etc), tires (balance, broken/slipped belt, etc.) and/or drivetrain (CV half shaft).
twas said in second post and i will +1 ya just because it really needs to "learned" around here.