Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

4 wheel disc conversions on 96 lx 4 dr.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel disc conversions on 96 lx 4 dr.

First I want to let you know I'm new here. I have read a few things that are just beyond my grasps but I'll catch on soon enough.

I currently run town (Columbus, OH) with mostly domestic car people. I am looking to modify a 96 civic lx a little at a time. I know it's a 4 dr. but due to a few tickets I need a 4 door for insurance purposes. It also makes for a good sleeper. The whole point is that I want to start at the road and build up. By that I mean Tires, breaks, and suspension. I am looking into Eibach or Tanabe for suspension, Energy for bushings, and a few companies for 16 inch rims and tires. The breaks are what are getting me. Several people I know in the civic community say I need to put SI breaks on my rear before I start the break setup. I am looking for pros, and cons of SI rear conversion and how to go about doing it if I were to do it. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 4 wheel disc conversions on 96 lx 4 dr. (riceeatingaccord)

It would be more effective to upgrade the front brakes first. Si and EX fronts are bigger, and you could also use 94+ Integra brakes up front. Is your LX ABS or non-ABS? It could be an important factor as well.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:38 PM

Default Re: 4 wheel disc conversions on 96 lx 4 dr. (piscorpio)

It is a non-ABS set. We were working with the idea that if I were to get it to be an SI set up, that i could use an AEM large rotor setup. I just don't know where to look to find ideas that are road or track proven.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:38 PM

Default Re: 4 wheel disc conversions on 96 lx 4 dr. (Silver Civic OH)

sorry just wanted it back at the top
Old 03-17-2003, 09:00 PM

If I am not mistaken you need 17 inch or larger wheels to run the AEM setup. I have 94+ GSR brakes on my 96 4 door civic. The fronts definatly make a bigger difference than the rear setup did.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:47 PM

what all is needed for a si or gsr brake upgrade to a 96-98 lx? i'm looking to convert to all discs as well.

to another c-bus 4door
Old 03-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4 wheel disc conversions on 96 lx 4 dr. (drunkenbabyseal)

If you are talking about the front brakes, you basically need the knuckle/hub with calipers, rotors, wheel bearing, etc. attached to it. In the rear, you need the compensator arm, rear trailing arm, and upper arm along with obviously the wheel hub and brake assembly.

Then to make it complete, swap for a larger master cylinder, booster, and a proportioning valve to distribute it all properly. These items may not all be necessary, but they would improve pedal feel and definitely optimize your setup.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, as far as the rear brakes, I believe any 94-01 Integra or 99-00 Civic Si have the same size (excluding the Type R, and possibly the Integra RS which I can't remember if they are smaller). In the front, the 99-00 Si and 96-00 EX share the same size calipers/rotors as well, and it is possible the GSR is the same size as well, but I can't remember off hand for sure...Im getting tired.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:47 PM

thanks
Old 03-19-2003, 11:53 AM

Default Re: 4 wheel disc conversions on 96 lx 4 dr. (drunkenbabyseal)

Ok Piscorpio….

Given that most think the best way to start in the front lets. Would the rotor and calipers off of the 99-00 SI and 96-00 EX bolt directly onto the LX or would other adjustments and parts be necessary?

In the rear… Does the Integra sit on the same frame? Would the control arms and other parts all bolt on?

Would it actually be in my best interest to actually do the break conversion or just do and upgrade kit? It will be a daily driven terror when done!

And for all of those who have helped so far thanks.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:11 PM

The Si front brakes are 9.9 inches i think and the GSR fronts are 10.25 inches. In the rear you need all the things listed in an earlier post but you use your stock LCA's, everything bolts straight up. I believe the Si and GSR rear discs are the same size.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4 wheel disc conversions on 96 lx 4 dr. (civic23g)

The Si front brakes are 9.9 inches i think and the GSR fronts are 10.25 inches.
Are you sure about those numbers? I could have sworn they both had 10.3" up front and 9" or so, in the back?
Old 03-20-2003, 05:46 PM

Civic23g…..

Would I need to change out any of my control arms? Your saying all I need to change is the bearings out only right?

If so for the rear you might have sold me.

If any one has anything else to say please don’t be shy. I need help.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

See my earlier posts, I already told you what you need. You keep your lower control arms and swap everything else I listed. I believe it is possible to swap only the hub assembly, but it is probably more difficult. If you get the whole rear brake conversion off of an Si or Integra (see earlier post), you won't need to change any bearings, just bolt it right up.

Again though, I have to stress, you will see a bigger improvement if you upgrade your front brakes. I had a 00 EX, did a rear disc conversion and notice very little difference. However, on my VX, I upgraded the front only and the difference was much more noticeable. If you want more bang for your buck stopping power, I highly reccomend you do the fronts first.

*Edit: Just one thought, I am not sure what size wheels your lx comes with, I assume 14". Be sure you can fit bigger brakes under them. I do not think it would be a problem for you, if you have the 14" wheels, but it was a problem with the little VX 13"s.

[Modified by piscorpio, 8:25 AM 3/21/2003]
Old 03-21-2003, 01:16 PM

quick question. i have a 96 civic DX non-ABS. would putting the parts that you listed earlier including master cylinder, proportioning valve and booster from an ABS equipped car cause any problems on the non-ABS car? or would changing all this out in such case make it an ABS equipped car? reason being i swapped an EX motor into my car when i blew the original motor up, and i'd really love to have full disc brakes and ABS. thanks.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4 wheel disc conversions on 96 lx 4 dr. (BurntRice009)

quick question. i have a 96 civic DX non-ABS. would putting the parts that you listed earlier including master cylinder, proportioning valve and booster from an ABS equipped car cause any problems on the non-ABS car? or would changing all this out in such case make it an ABS equipped car? reason being i swapped an EX motor into my car when i blew the original motor up, and i'd really love to have full disc brakes and ABS. thanks.
I really do not know about that. I can say you will probably need more than just p. valve (which is not even the same thing with ABS), master cylinder and booster. ABS has sensors that you have to hook up as well (ECU connections as well?). I don't know much about ABS systems, but it is a good question. Maybe it's time for a quick search.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:46 PM

Default Re: 4 wheel disc conversions on 96 lx 4 dr. (BurntRice009)

Piscorpio…..
I heard you load and clear. There are so many up grades for my front end that I’m not concerned. I will upgrade the front to a larger drilled and cross-slotted rotor at the same time I upgrade the rear, but I need to know what my options are for the rear. I listened loud when you said I need to change my booster, cylinder, and proportioning valve. I will make sure that I do. I am looking to do my entire suspension system and break system at the same time. I know that means new rims, tires bushings, probably a few other things I have not even considered but I need to know what my options are so I can plan, plan, plan.

And THANK YOU. You have really helped a lot.