Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

4 puck with out springs or six puck with springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 puck with out springs or six puck with springs?

as the topic says guys...

last night i was running on the street against a a lude.... and guess what the clutch was slipping all the way, so i guess that i have to change it

a friend told me to put 4 puck with no springs and other friend told me 6 puck with springs... and that`s my question.

i`m running stock pressure plate stock flywheel on a stock b16 bottom end.

thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:46 PM

Default Re: 4 puck with out springs or six puck with springs? (schtozo)

Don't ever get a springless clutch for your street car. Just get an aftermarket street kit, single puck with springs. Or get an Integra type-R OEM clutch disc and PP.

I'm assuming the car is normally aspirated? Tell us more about your setup.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:49 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ACT HDSS for a great clutch, and ACT XTSS for a stronger engagement. whoever told you to get a 4 puck with an unsprung hub wasn't your friend, watches too much F&F, and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Exedy also makes a nice OEM replacement clutch if you want to save some money.

just make 100% sure you replace your rear main seal, re-surface your flywheel, replace the pilot bearing and throwout bearing, grease the clutch fork pivot cup, and replace the clutch disc and pressure plate. good luck
Old 08-11-2003, 07:10 PM

Default Re: (22lbGS-R)

just make 100% sure you replace your rear main seal, re-surface your flywheel, replace the pilot bearing and throwout bearing, grease the clutch fork pivot cup, and replace the clutch disc and pressure plate. good luck

I agree with everything here EXCEPT the rear main seal. Why replace the rear main seal? Will not help the clutch out. If it has higher mileage yes it would be a good safety precaution, but if it is a low mile motor or even has just average miles no need to replace the rear main.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:45 PM

Default Re: (22lbGS-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 22lbGS-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ACT HDSS for a great clutch, and ACT XTSS for a stronger engagement. whoever told you to get a 4 puck with an unsprung hub wasn't your friend, watches too much F&F, and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Exedy also makes a nice OEM replacement clutch if you want to save some money.

just make 100% sure you replace your rear main seal, re-surface your flywheel, replace the pilot bearing and throwout bearing, grease the clutch fork pivot cup, and replace the clutch disc and pressure plate. good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4 puck with out springs or six puck with springs? (schtozo)

got with the six puck with spring
the 4 will be too hard on your tranny and mounts
Old 08-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4 puck with out springs or six puck with springs? (mulin)

you know something.....ha...

i used to have the all motor ls/vtec and i pulled it out in favor of a b16 for the simple reason that it was too hard for the streets. it was almost a drag car and it had problems.... so never got to run it on the track cause always was a problem when we went to the track. first time = broken axle from the very first pass while heating up then the second time the slick tire lost all pressure and i didn`t even realize it until 60 feet so pulled out... an there was a problem with the bogart rim so couldn`t add pressure to it cause it was loosing it quick... and then finally the #1 piston clip broke or something cause the (don`t know in english) the **** that pases the piston from side to side and pases through the rod. yeah that ****... it pulled out damaging the sleeve. so that`s why a traded my ls short block for the b16 stock.

and all that to tell that i still got my 2800lbs cluchnet pressure plate... and don`t know if put it back with stock disc (it`s too hard cause my tranny is cable) i did something like hasport cable to hydro conversion using racing vw sleeve but still a bit hard with the clutchnet.

so i don`t know if put that back or use the stock pressure plate with six puck with springs (i`m more convinced with that than the 4 puck no springs).

so what do you guys think? and please help... sorry for the long story.

here are my mods

stock p30 block
first gen b16 head
ported polished and milled @0.003mm
crane dual titanium springs and retainers
skunk 2 cam sprockets
dc 4-1 ceramic coated header
2.25 exhaust pipes with universal muffler
gsr throtle @64mm
gsr fuel injectors
aem fuel rail
bbk 255 gph fuel pump