Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

3rd gear grinding

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gear grinding

when i take 2nd up in high RPMs then shift into 3rd it grinds before it goes in with the clutch in...anyone kno wuts wrong someone told me to put thicker oil but if that dosnt work im **** outta luck.......
Old 12-10-2005, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3rd gear grinding (jdmjunkieXL)

my car was like that too but instead it was 2nd gear. too me i always thought it was the tranny too and the oil. but i noticed that it was me. either i shifted to fast before the clutch was in or the gear wont go in smoothly. it kinds of stuck there for a while then itll go in after 1/2 a second. for me i just shift it better by getting the clutch in the sihft and do it so fast. good luck!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:26 AM

a synchro is messed up. Thicker oil covers the problem and helps prevent it from getting worse, but it'll never be fixed unless you open up the tranny and change ie.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:52 AM

I face the same problem !!
Old 12-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (gray_civic_coupe)

Gm Syncromesh It should help alot
Old 12-10-2005, 12:52 PM

by the way after how many miles should i change my gear oil?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (hotimportcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gm Syncromesh It should help alot</TD></TR></TABLE>

no
Old 12-10-2005, 12:57 PM

what type of tranny is it. if its begining to greind i'd just get a new one.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gray_civic_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I face the same problem !!</TD></TR></TABLE>
you also face the same avatar, you bastard. Except mine's good and doesn't have that ugly white square around it
Old 12-10-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: (transpar_nt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by transpar_nt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you also face the same avatar, you bastard. Except mine's good and doesn't have that ugly white square around it </TD></TR></TABLE>
Hahahaha
anyway does your 3rd gear grind if your shifting at 3000 rpm ?
mine doesnt but 3500-7000 it does
Old 12-10-2005, 04:54 PM

nope, neither of my trannys have grinds. Looks like I beat you again
Old 12-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (transpar_nt)

If anything, thicker oil is just going to make the grind even worse. What you want is thinner oil so that it penetrates and lubricates the sinchro fully. Whoever told you that is an *** and doesn't know what he's talking about. Try synchromesh, it might help out. It helped me out some, but it can only be effective up to a certain point. If you have a bad enough synchro, then you are fux0rd.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (fast88std)

the thing that amazes me about these "sychromesh fixes all tranny problems" threads is that 90% of the people on this site have ever rebuilt a transmission, but they claim that these special oils will fix a synchro. I dunno if any of you guys are aware of this, but synchros are not the only things that wear out on transmissions. those gears grind, that's pieces of metal being taken off of them, wearing them out.

once you pay for a tranny rebuild or rebuild one yourself, you'll never "power shift" again
Old 12-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Banned

Default Re: (Bense)

Modified by CardDealer at 3:05 PM 11/16/2006
Old 12-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem but I go diffrently about it, either I go straight to 4th gear or if it is a up hill and I need 3rd I press the clutch and let the RPM fall in about a second at the most the car isnt bieng forced so theres no power shifting involved and it goes straight to 3rd but you can still hear a slight chirp nothing like a grind but knowing that the problem is there....I skip third to not make it worse. Just waiting to get a new Synchro
Old 12-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StreetRacinThug)

if it is a Z6 trans it probably has a broken shift fork. otherwise like everyone else is saying the synchro's are probably worn. double clutch under normal driving and it wont grind.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (lohatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lohatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it is a Z6 trans it probably has a broken shift fork. otherwise like everyone else is saying the synchro's are probably worn. double clutch under normal driving and it wont grind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no. The synchronizer pushes down on the outer race of the gear and acts as a brake to stop the gear from spinning at at different speed than the synchro hub. think of it like a brake pad, if it doesn't slow the gear down before the teeth try to "mesh" together, then the only thing that's going to slow it down is the teeth grinding into each other.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
no. The synchronizer pushes down on the outer race of the gear and acts as a brake to stop the gear from spinning at at different speed than the synchro hub. think of it like a brake pad, if it doesn't slow the gear down before the teeth try to "mesh" together, then the only thing that's going to slow it down is the teeth grinding into each other.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so are you thinking that the teeth on the outer race of the gear are worn?? the ones the synchro hub slides over???

sorry for my "generalized" term.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (lohatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lohatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so are you thinking that the teeth on the outer race of the gear are worn?? the ones the synchro hub slides over???

sorry for my "generalized" term.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's like brake pads. If you don't replace them when you're supposed to, they are going to wear down and once the carbon is gone, it's going to be metal against metal, and you are going to have grooves in your rotors, ultimately causing a rotor replacement. There's two sets of teeth. The teeth on the 3rd gear that's on the mainshaft that connect to the 3rd gear on the countershaft. And then there's the teeth on the 3rd gear that lock into the synchro hub.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:41 AM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 3:05 PM 11/16/2006
Old 12-13-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Re: 3rd gear grinding (turbo_sol)

im for a new terans, dotn bother buyign the parts, its not wort the money, and u can get d series for cheap!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3rd gear grinding (EG6EP3)

Everyone's right about the synchromesh just disguising the problem. Im doin a tranny rebuild this Friday,... well,... not a full rebuild but: 3/4 gear synchros, LS 5th gear, Quaife LSD, New clutch/flywheel. Im curious about something. When I go to put oil back in the tranny,.... do you think I should put SOME synchromesh in there to?...Like maybe 75% oil and 25% synchromesh?..... Do you think that the viscosity difference will cause the new synchros to wear faster?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: 3rd gear grinding (allanonjj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allanonjj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Everyone's right about the synchromesh just disguising the problem. Im doin a tranny rebuild this Friday,... well,... not a full rebuild but: 3/4 gear synchros, LS 5th gear, Quaife LSD, New clutch/flywheel. Im curious about something. When I go to put oil back in the tranny,.... do you think I should put SOME synchromesh in there to?...Like maybe 75% oil and 25% synchromesh?..... Do you think that the viscosity difference will cause the new synchros to wear faster?</TD></TR></TABLE>

in all honesty, i have been using walmart 10w30 motor oil. NOT synthetic motor oil. Haven't had a problem in the past year since i've been running it. And Might i ad that I am on my third transmission this year. Not because i have been wearing them out. But because I had a cx/vx transmission. Then I got a 96 cx transmission (it's still long, but it's a hell of a lot shorter than the cx/vx tranny) And then i put my hybrid gear setup in the 96 cx tranny. it isconsisting of:
92-00 ex 1st and 2nd
dohc zc 3rd
88-91 4speed STD 3rd as 4th
92-95 civic si 5th
4.25 final drive

i inspected the cx/vx transmission as well as the gearset out of the 96cx one. They were all in pristine condition, even after running regular motor oil.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6EP3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im for a new terans, dotn bother buyign the parts, its not wort the money, and u can get d series for cheap! </TD></TR></TABLE>

cause ya know, everyone that sells honda parts are 100% legit. My friend paid 250 for a 96-00 ex tranny. He installed it, now he's gotta take all that bullshit off and pull the transmission apart cause his 2nd gear doesn't work.

Your best bet is to find a busted transmission. Take apart and salvage some parts from it.
I have 5 transmissions. two ex's, one jdm dohc zc, a cx/vx, and a 96cx. And I have less than 300 dollars invested (175 for the zc tranny ) all because i've taken parts from busted trannys and used them in undesirable (cx/vx/dx/lx/hx) tranny cases.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:45 PM
* B A N N E D *

Synchromesh is a joke. If you're on HondaTech and you're revving beyond 4000 RPM on a consistant basis, you're obviously into street racing or have a bad case of road rage.
Here's my advice:
Go to Gear-Speed.com, order some carbon coated synchros, and put it together yourself. That way instead of asking your mom for another car every 6 months, you can learn how to take care of the one you have.
Oh, ps... if you're too broke for new synchros, try the art of double-clutching. you should be able to hold up for quite a while - until your throwout bearing and clutch pads are thrashed, at least.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 PM

^ has anyone ever ordered anything from gear speed?

Quick Reply: 3rd gear grinding