Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

3rd gear grind

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gear grind

I own a 95 civic si with a 98 itr motor with 00 itr lsd. My car makes a slight grind going into 3rd at high rpm (when racing) shifting at 8500rpm.

My question is, is it common for the "slight" grind going into gear because i was told it was, considering that im shifting at such a high rpm and the tranny was not made for that. Do not quote me on that, thats just what i heard.

And also, could it have something to do with my shortshifter.
I have a skunk2 dual-bend short shifter btw.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 3rd gear grind (spintboy)

You are probably inadvertantly abusing your transmission with the short shifter. Short shifters do not ruin your tranny, bad drivers USING short shifters ruins trannies. You are probably starting to mess up the third gear synchro.

Start paying more attention when you are shifting that gear...NO it is not normal for the gear to grind. The number of revolutions does not matter...there would be no point in Honda designing the motor to hit those RPMs if they couldn't build a tranny to utilize it, day in and day out.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My ITR tranny had a slight grind in 3rd only anytime after the VTEC crossover. Honda's trannies are notorious for the 3rd gear grind.

No, it has nothing to do with the short shifter. Has to do with the synchros.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 AM

prolly your synchro happend in my GSR its happening now in my sol under heavy acceleration but for daily driving no problems
Old 12-11-2007, 09:05 AM

so are you saying it's driver error for the "grind" or are you sayings it's the short shifter?

Car has a bit of problem going into 1st too. Usually, id drop it into second and go straight up to 1st, cause thats the easiest way. I think im going to put a stock shifter in.

NOTE: I just change tranny fluid, goes into reverse alot better then before buteveryhting esle is the same. Maybe it need more time. Drove the car only for 10 mins after the oil and tranny fluid chane.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: (spintboy)

its driver error because you cant use the short shifter properly
Old 12-11-2007, 11:11 AM

well, what is a proper way to use the short shifter then?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this question pops up every damn week.

long story short:

synchros are worn and will only get worse. either baby it or replace the entire trans. no repairing (as far as your concerned) and synchromesh oil does not FIX the problem.

can't use short shifter properly???
please.. let's end this now.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (spintboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spintboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, what is a proper way to use the short shifter then?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Make sure your fu8king footwork with the clutch matches how fast ur shifting - yours isn't, you're doing one of two things, most likely: A) You're getting it into gear while the clutch isn't pushed down far enough, B) You're letting out the clutch before you get it into gear all the way.

It's mis-use of the transmission, for some ungodly reason it's hugely known that abusing honda trannies makes the 3rd gear syncro go out - I don't know why that one before the others, possibly b/c you shift into 3rd with more force than any other gear, I don't know - but it does

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hurtgen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this question pops up every damn week.

long story short:

synchros are worn and will only get worse. either baby it or replace the entire trans. no repairing (as far as your concerned) and synchromesh oil does not FIX the problem.

can't use short shifter properly???
please.. let's end this now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or completely ignore the problem like I did with my old transmission and learn to double clutch.

Before cars had syncros (ie. my '67 camaro), you have to double clutch to get it into gear and while driving Once you do it long enough you can do it almost as fast as a regular shift, and easily faster than necessary.

What a surprise, double clutching saves transmissions!!?? Yes.

Where's Paul Walker when ya need him.