Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

3-stage vtec jdm d15b.....who's heard of them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-stage vtec jdm d15b.....who's heard of them?

I've been doin a bit of reading and searching and stuff.
And i came across hearing about an engine with 3-stage vtec....basically combines vtec-e and vtec-p so you can have the best of both worlds when it comes to gas mileage and power.

so far I've discovered the engine comes from a 1996-2000 civic vti/vi.

So far no posts have been dedicated to this motor on this forum and as far as i know not too many people have this particular motor in the states.

I'm curious on where I could maybe look into getting this motor, the ecu, instrument cluster, and possibly the wiring harness.

Also just a bit curious about how much trouble it would be to hook up this obd2 engine which if I'm not mistaken has 2 vtec solinods...into something like a 92-95 vx hatch.

read about the 3-stage vtec in places like:
http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html
http://asia.vtec.net/article/d15b/
Old 02-02-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: 3-stage vtec jdm d15b.....who's heard of them? (srebik)

This has been discussed before, please search.

Ok, now that's out of the way; the D15B motor is very accessible. Try our classifieds or even hmotorsonline.com
Old 02-02-2005, 12:46 PM

yes I know the vtec-p d15b engine is VERY accessible.
comes from the years of 1992-1995 correct?

I'm wondering about the 3-stage vtec jdm d15b engine coms from the civic vti/vi from 1996-2000. This one isn't talked about as much, nor does it seem as accessible.

hmotorsonline.com sells the vtec d15b not the 3-stage vtec d15b...read the topic before you instantly hit the "search noob" response.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (srebik)

Yes this has been discussed before... many times.
Stage 3 vtec was done for emmisions and efficiency.

Kinda like vtec-e I believe.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

yes, just get a d16z6/y8....... d15's suck, no aftermarket parts
Old 02-02-2005, 01:15 PM

3-stage vtec is just that ....3 stages of vtec.

yes it incorporates vtec-e so you can have gas mileage but also it has vtec-p so you can have the usual 128hp of the plain vtec d15b.

basically below 2500 rpms vtec-e in engaged...only utilizes 1 intake vavle to promote swirl in the cyclinder so they can run as low as a 20:1 air-fuel ratio....thus you have great gas mileage.

from there up to like 6k rpm is the 2nd stage. where it utlizes all 4 valves.
then from 6k up to the redline of 7200 I believe it kicks in the 3rd stage which is vtec-p which uses a wild cam profile....and there you go you got gasmileage and power when you need it.

the vtec stages kickin in also depends on how heavy the right foot is from what I've read. I've heard people say thy can keep vtec-e on all the way to 3k or more rpms. but of course if you floor it I'm pretty sure it goes straight to vtec-p.

like i said. most people when they talk about the d15b are talking about the one that just has vtec-p.
there are very few threads that talk about this partocular motor on here. and most just ask what the hell is 3-stage vtec.
I'm more interested in finding out where if possible it is to find one of these motors an stuff to make it run...and how hard it would be to set it up since I believe it has 2 vtec solenoids and is obd2 as well...I think.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: (DaZman69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaZman69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, just get a d16z6/y8....... d15's suck, no aftermarket parts</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhh if I'm not mistaken any d-series motor parts will bolt up to any d-series motor as long as it's not the dohc d motor.

thus there is a pletera of aftermarket parts.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by srebik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes I know the vtec-p d15b engine is VERY accessible.
comes from the years of 1992-1995 correct?

I'm wondering about the 3-stage vtec jdm d15b engine coms from the civic vti/vi from 1996-2000. This one isn't talked about as much, nor does it seem as accessible.

hmotorsonline.com sells the vtec d15b not the 3-stage vtec d15b...read the topic before you instantly hit the "search noob" response.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said, this has been discussed many times before, maybe you should read up before hitting the "New Topic" button.

Just because it hasn't been "discussed much" doesn't mean you could and should start another one.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1110936
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1111344
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1109256
Old 02-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by srebik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

uhh if I'm not mistaken any d-series motor parts will bolt up to any d-series motor as long as it's not the dohc d motor.

thus there is a pletera of aftermarket parts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you havent said anything that hasn't been said before, I made a thread on 3 stage vtec last year.

you're just behind the curve. DOHC D series is contratictory, D series is a single cam motor(technically the ZC but thats a different category), and you can use any parts for the d15b as long as it has nothing to do with the cylinder head.

IE no cam timing, no aftermarket cams, and high comp pistons are gonna **** up that little 3 stage thing it has goin on there..

but hey, have fun with 2 vtecs.

go talk to any import shop that directly imports from japan.

http://www.passwordjdm.com
http://www.hmotorsonline.com

etc
Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (JUN EK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUN EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shut up nubcake, you havent said anything that hasn't been said before, I made a thread on 3 stage vtec last year.

you're just behind the curve. DOHC D series is contratictory, D series is a single cam motor(technically the ZC but thats a different category), and you can use any parts for the d15b as long as it has nothing to do with the cylinder head.

IE no cam timing, no aftermarket cams, and high comp pistons are gonna **** up that little 3 stage thing it has goin on there..

but hey, have fun with 2 vtecs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

shut up nubcake... ?... YOU SIR ARE A TOOOOOOL.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

shut up nubcake... ?... YOU SIR ARE A TOOOOOOL.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Snap-On

Post was edited for useful content. go troll somewhere else?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:21 PM

ohh boy those threads where SOOOO helpful.
I'm not wondering how much hp the engine makes or if it even exists. I wondering on if anyone knows if it's possible to get your hands on one and where to do that.

I'm also wondering how hard it would be to shove that 3-stage obd2 engine into an obd1 chassis.

so hitting the new topic button was a fine choice.

jun ek9 ok if oyu made a 3-stage vtec thread post the link damnit.
and yes there is a dohc d-series the jdm dohc zc engine, I believe it's a 1.6l engine makes close to 130hp or something, not the engine I'm thinkin about.

"and you can use any parts for the d15b as long as it has nothing to do with the cylinder head"
what the hell does this mean? I've seen all over this forum people wodnering f they can put such and such intake mani or exhaust mani form such and such engine to such and such engine and so far everyone says all d-series parts will bolt up....except for the dohc zc d-series.

not tottally interested in cam timing. How would high comp pistions screw with 3-stage vtec? considering vtec is controlled by oil pressure not cylinder pressure.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:26 PM
mc
Honda-Tech Member

the only place I have ever seen one for sale is on ebay

the biggest problem I would see about it is finding the ecu and engine harness
Old 02-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by srebik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ohh boy those threads where SOOOO helpful.

"and you can use any parts for the d15b as long as it has nothing to do with the cylinder head"
what the hell does this mean? I've seen all over this forum people wodnering f they can put such and such intake mani or exhaust mani form such and such engine to such and such engine and so far everyone says all d-series parts will bolt up....except for the dohc zc d-series.

not tottally interested in cam timing. How would high comp pistions screw with 3-stage vtec? considering vtec is controlled by oil pressure not cylinder pressure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What I believe he meant was you couldnt use a aftermarket cam for say a Y8 with the D15, etc.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've installed one of these in a friend's car.he got it from some supplier in Manassas,VA(sorry,don't know the name).
imagine a D16Z6,only with even less torque.he has also had a hard time finding the proper ECU for it.
my recomendation is to go with something,ANYTHING else.i'm all for B-series swaps,but at the very least a Z6.
Chris
Old 02-02-2005, 10:28 PM

yea b-series would be nice and all but I'm not really looking for top power. not to mention b-series costs money which I don't have.

d16z6 would be nice too, but I'm rather attracted to the vx motor d15z1 due to the vtec-e.....massive gas milage out of that but not too attracted to the fact that it really has no future.

thus I went searching and low and behold I hear about this amazing little engine that has both the power version of vtec AND vtec-e so you can have power when you need it but for crusin and just going to and from school or work you get good mileage which helps when you gotta still pay for college and crap.

I understand that yeah without the right ecu the engine is going to suck....yes I know it's only a 1.5 liter and thus torque less...but lets face it if i really wanted something with torque and horsepower I'd go get soemthing with a v8 in it. Or if I was to stick in the 4 cylinder world I'd go get a 240sx.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by srebik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea b-series would be nice and all but I'm not really looking for top power. not to mention b-series costs money which I don't have.

d16z6 would be nice too, but I'm rather attracted to the vx motor d15z1 due to the vtec-e.....massive gas milage out of that but not too attracted to the fact that it really has no future.

thus I went searching and low and behold I hear about this amazing little engine that has both the power version of vtec AND vtec-e so you can have power when you need it but for crusin and just going to and from school or work you get good mileage which helps when you gotta still pay for college and crap.

I understand that yeah without the right ecu the engine is going to suck....yes I know it's only a 1.5 liter and thus torque less...but lets face it if i really wanted something with torque and horsepower I'd go get soemthing with a v8 in it. Or if I was to stick in the 4 cylinder world I'd go get a 240sx.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i understand what you're saying,definitely.but,the Z6 has noticeably more torque,and still gets great mileage(i got upper 30MPG in my DX hatch).driving my friend's car with the D15 3-stage is just pitifull.going up regular hills that you encounter all the time requires a downshift to 4th gear.it's just not a fun motor.
i'd go Z6 over it if at all possible.
Chris
Old 02-03-2005, 03:50 AM

Vtec-3 came also in 1.6 L VTi for 7th Gen Civic. I have one BTW and gas milage is good. Mine is an auto tranny yet the consuption is just the same as my 95 hatch 5 speed.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3-stage vtec jdm d15b.....who's heard of them? (K I T T)

That looks like a new d17 that you get onthe newest civics. I think??
Peace
Old 02-03-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Re: (DaZman69)

there are after market parts for the d15
Old 02-03-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: (primed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by primed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there are after market parts for the d15</TD></TR></TABLE>

good observation...
Old 02-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Burns)

This is a good site for info on the D15B and its 3 stage VTEC.
http://www.leecao.com/honda/vtec/3stagevtec.html
Old 02-03-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

hmmm, personal experience is always a good indiactor of good products. Right now nothing is set in stone. I'm mostly just getting ideas. I like the idea of sticking with the stock motor series because then I don't need to get new mounts or anything like that....and parts are cheap and plentiful since everyone is tossing these engines for b-series LOL.

if i went z6 I might just get tempted to turbo that and go for that top power that I'm currently not soo interested in LOL.

but right now I'm just curious a to places I might actually be able to find this motor.

just getting ideas and doing alot of drooling and dreaming.

as for the downshifting I'm not to worried about that....since most of my driving will be through town mostly to school and work more then likely I wont be getting into 5th gear....possible 4th gear. If i was to do this I'd get a different tranny as well since everyone bitchs about the vx/cx/hf trannies. that might help with that downshiffting problem who knows. Should still get the gas mileage just shift around 2500...while vtec-e is still engaged. *shrugs* like I said nothing is set in stone yet....just getting ideas reading around and stuff, just needed a little bit a help with this possible idea so I come here.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: 3-stage vtec jdm d15b.....who's heard of them? (slowhatch4now)

yea... that does look like a d17 in the new civics... b/c they have that filter assembly over top the intake mani like the 96-00 dx motors
Old 02-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3-stage vtec jdm d15b.....who's heard of them? (SkySolGra)

wow reading this thread and that article makes me want a D15B, up to 54mpg!!!!

Quick Reply: 3-stage vtec jdm d15b.....who's heard of them?