Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

3 stage vtec D15B - CVT/Multimatic - With paddle shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 stage vtec D15B - CVT/Multimatic - With paddle shifters?

So i've been thinking of swapping in a 3 stage vtec D15B engine into a Honda Del Sol with a CVT Multimatic or HX CVT tranny with paddle shifters. Why? Because it would be cool and different of course. I know manuals are better, and i've had manual cars, but i's time for something different.

After doing further research, in order to install paddle shifters you have to have an electrically controlled transmission, which I do believe the CVT (HX tranny or Honda's Multimatic tranny) would be considered. Except.. Well i'll just paste the info from the following site:
http://www.tunersgroup.com/Online_St...Universal.html

The Paddle Shifter NEO Universal is a shifter, not a tranmission control computer.

The Paddle Shifter NEO Universal can be used with a number of aftermarket sequential shift computers and aftermarket tranmission control computers, and with a number of factory sequential shift computers.

So you would also need a transmission control computer, which I don't know anything about and i'm sure is very expensive. Unless the 3 stage vtecs CVT tranny has that, which I don't think it does?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3 stage vtec D15B - CVT/Multimatic - With paddle shifters?

Good luck with that
Old 09-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thankyou, i'll need it lol. Bumped.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotta be someone who knows something, this is one of the biggest forums I know of.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would be different and cool to see. But would the expense be worth basically an automatic car?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It actually wouldn't be all that much money. The D15B 3 stage vtec and cvt tranny would be about $1500, paddle shifters $500, and the tranny control computer I think is another $500. So $2500 total for parts, we'll say $3000. The 3 stage can get approximately 45 mpg depending on how driven, so about 10 mpg more than a stock D15 or D16. But you do have a good point, I don't know if it's worth it but it is an idea i've had for quite some time.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok well GG on shifting a CVT. Because CVT is Continuously Variable Transmission. There are no gears. Its actually belt driven and there are disks which adjust in size as you drive.

http://world.honda.com/automobile-te...gy/CVT/detail/
Old 09-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
ok well GG on shifting a CVT. Because CVT is Continuously Variable Transmission. There are no gears. Its actually belt driven and there are disks which adjust in size as you drive.

in most cases, this would be considered 'Served'
Old 09-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kozanatos
Or In The Gamer Community, We Call This P0wn3d! LoL
Old 09-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaGuy951
Or In The Gamer Community, We Call This P0wn3d! LoL
*facepalm*
Old 09-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Who said anything about shifting? Technically you're correct, except you did mention the disks that the cvt's belt switches in. Have you not noticed all the CVT cars with paddle shifters? The new Honda Fit Sport is a good example with the L15 and cvt tranny. Basically you control the rpm ranges/disks when "shifting" the paddle shifters.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kozanatos
Soo... What do we call it when you have a comeback from getting served? lol
Old 09-28-2009, 03:15 PM

south park
Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B33FCAK3
Who said anything about shifting? Technically you're correct, except you did mention the disks that the cvt's belt switches in. Have you not noticed all the CVT cars with paddle shifters? The new Honda Fit Sport is a good example with the L15 and cvt tranny. Basically you control the rpm ranges/disks when "shifting" the paddle shifters.
how would that work? There is nothing to shift. And it basically you could push the buttons infinite times because it can always adjust in some way.. And what about finding a external computer to "control shifting" of a transmission that doesnt shift?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how would that work? There is nothing to shift. And it basically you could push the buttons infinite times because it can always adjust in some way.. And what about finding a external computer to "control shifting" of a transmission that doesnt shift?
I don't freakin know, it's just how the newer cars operate. G37, Lancer GTS, Fit Sport, Audi A4 etc. lol
Old 09-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

G37, Lancer with CVT's? I think not. My Friends mom has a A4, it doesnt have a CVT, it has gears. Fit Sports do not have CVT either. They have 5 SPD Automatics.
I'll say this again. You cannot shift a CVT. Its continuously variable and therefore continuously adjusts. There is no shifting at all, it has no gears.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

G37, Lancer with CVT's? I think not. My Friends mom has a A4, it doesnt have a CVT, it has gears. Fit Sports do not have CVT either. They have 5 SPD Automatics.
I'll say this again. You cannot shift a CVT. Its continuously variable and therefore continuously adjusts. There is no shifting at all, it has no gears.
You should start looking some of this stuff up. Both an Audi A4 and A6 have CVT's. The newer Lancer GTS's have CVT's that replaced their automatics. The Fit came with a 5 spd manual, 5 spd auto, and a CVT.
Other cars include Maxima, Insight, Murano, Altima, 500, Rogue, Caliber etc.
As far as "shifting" goes, you're right, there are no gears. But think about why some CVT's have paddle shifters? It's to give it the "feel of a manual" and still be able to control your rpm's. If you want to pass someone, you can go down 1 with the paddle and raise your rpms for optimal performance.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

either way, sounds like it is not cost effective.
no shifting within a tenth of a second for you T__T
Old 09-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as "shifting" goes, you're right, there are no gears. But think about why some CVT's have paddle shifters? It's to give it the "feel of a manual" and still be able to control your rpm's.
Yeah.

It's a way to combine the inefficiency of a CVT and the inaccuracy of a human controller.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should start looking some of this stuff up. Both an Audi A4 and A6 have CVT's. The newer Lancer GTS's have CVT's that replaced their automatics. The Fit came with a 5 spd manual, 5 spd auto, and a CVT.
Other cars include Maxima, Insight, Murano, Altima, 500, Rogue, Caliber etc.
As far as "shifting" goes, you're right, there are no gears. But think about why some CVT's have paddle shifters? It's to give it the "feel of a manual" and still be able to control your rpm's. If you want to pass someone, you can go down 1 with the paddle and raise your rpms for optimal performance.
i just did look it up and I found CVT's in A4's and Lancer GTS. My friends mom has an older A4 so the probably didnt have CVT's then. I dont know how a CVT could ever give the FEEL of a Manual when you would never feel shifting as it has no gears. And it takes time for the CVT to adjust, its not instant, so if you "downshifted" it would take a little bit for it to get adjusted. G37's and Fits do not have CVT. And the Fit sport is not available with a CVT. I saw a CVT option on a different older Fit but it was not a sport. According to Honda's website the new Fit has no CVT option at all. CVT's are good for gas mileage. Not for performance. And their design/construction makes them incapable of handing large amounts of power.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just did look it up and I found CVT's in A4's and Lancer GTS. My friends mom has an older A4 so the probably didnt have CVT's then. I dont know how a CVT could ever give the FEEL of a Manual when you would never feel shifting as it has no gears. And it takes time for the CVT to adjust, its not instant, so if you "downshifted" it would take a little bit for it to get adjusted. G37's and Fits do not have CVT. And the Fit sport is not available with a CVT. I saw a CVT option on a different older Fit but it was not a sport. According to Honda's website the new Fit has no CVT option at all. CVT's are good for gas mileage. Not for performance. And their design/construction makes them incapable of handing large amounts of power.
Ok so I was wrong about the G37, but you did say an older Fit had the option. I also know CVT's are not instant, and not exactly like a manual, in fact, they're in a group of its own not like an automatic or a manual. And yes, they are good for gas mileage, not performance. I don't mind that at all, that's why i'm talking about the 3 stage Vtec D15B engine, it's known for getting some of the best MPG in a Honda, especially coupled with the CVT/Multimatic transmission. I'm just trying to make it a bit more fun by adding paddle shifters. I've had my faster cars, but when gas is expensive I hated driving them. You know gas will go back up again, and this swap will still make me want to drive.
Oh, and the 3 stage vtec is rated at 130hp, (the highest from the D series), and the Multimatic transmission is rated at holding 130hp. Not too shabby if you ask me.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I was wrong about the G37, but you did say an older Fit had the option. I also know CVT's are not instant, and not exactly like a manual, in fact, they're in a group of its own not like an automatic or a manual. And yes, they are good for gas mileage, not performance. I don't mind that at all, that's why i'm talking about the 3 stage Vtec D15B engine, it's known for getting some of the best MPG in a Honda, especially coupled with the CVT/Multimatic transmission. I'm just trying to make it a bit more fun by adding paddle shifters. I've had my faster cars, but when gas is expensive I hated driving them. You know gas will go back up again, and this swap will still make me want to drive.
Oh, and the 3 stage vtec is rated at 130hp, (the highest from the D series), and the Multimatic transmission is rated at holding 130hp. Not too shabby if you ask me.
ya its not bad. But do you have one of these swaps? they are pretty rare, most of the D15B's are OBD-1. And you need the ECU and the tranny together. And most of the swaps are Manual. So if you can find one then go for it, otherwise good luck putting the pieces together.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya its not bad. But do you have one of these swaps? they are pretty rare, most of the D15B's are OBD-1. And you need the ECU and the tranny together. And most of the swaps are Manual. So if you can find one then go for it, otherwise good luck putting the pieces together.
I don't have one, but I do know where to get one. They are pretty rare, which is actually another reason why I want to do it tbh. I can get the CVT tranny for an additional $400. The ECU's the rarest part of it, which unbelievable I also found for another $100.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

instead of all this cvt mambo jambo
why dont yall just make an automatic shifter for a manual tranny.
and a thingy that pushes in the clutch at the same time.
kinda like the gtr.
an automatically controled 5/6 spd.
GL!
lol
this is funny because i have always thought of this in a way.
a sequintial trans. in a gutted ef/sol/eg hatch or somethin,
with like an all motor high comp. dual stage vtec d15b.
idk i think it would be cool.
kind of a random fantasy that i have had.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sskracing
instead of all this cvt mambo jambo
why dont yall just make an automatic shifter for a manual tranny.
and a thingy that pushes in the clutch at the same time.
kinda like the gtr.
an automatically controled 5/6 spd.
GL!
lol
this is funny because i have always thought of this in a way.
a sequintial trans. in a gutted ef/sol/eg hatch or somethin,
with like an all motor high comp. dual stage vtec d15b.
idk i think it would be cool.
kind of a random fantasy that i have had.
That's even more confusing than the CVT idea hahah.

Quick Reply: 3 stage vtec D15B - CVT/Multimatic - With paddle shifters?