Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

3-4 Synchro questions Y21

Old 11-21-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3-4 Synchro questions Y21

I was told that my 3-4 synchro SLEEVE has gone bad. This was after dropping the transmission and opening her up. ( Not just driving symptom diagnosing) The sleeve would have a hard time switching back and forth between 3 and 4 gear. The mechanic told me to get the synchro sleeve and the gear synchro rings.

1st question = Exactly what does the Honda 3-4 synchro sleeve set include?
2nd question = Would anyone recommend the gear speed synchro sleeve sets? and what do they include?

Thanks in advanced!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Only cuz I don't have the info handy I will try and not be a dick about this.

You can easily call gear speed and ask them directly what it consists of. This way you will hear it from the horses mouth. Then if you feel nice you could share it on here for further info.

If you find a good site that sells honda parts they should have diagrams of what the set entails. If not, then maybe contact a dealer. Otherwise I am sure many people on here have torn apart and order parts for this.
In which case wait until someone tells you here or you can browse through tech/misc. That seems to be where alot of tranny topics are covered.

Hopefully that is alot better than telling you to simply search.

Good day.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:46 AM

Location: Swapin Motors,Tuckin Bays and Making Harness, CT, USfukenA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what makes no sense to me is how the sleeve and synchro got damaged but not the gear. i would check the gear also and see if the engagement teeth are still pointy. if not just order a 3-4 set and it comes with everything you need looking at about 350 in parts
Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by sauceja
Only cuz I don't have the info handy I will try and not be a dick about this.

You can easily call gear speed and ask them directly what it consists of. This way you will hear it from the horses mouth. Then if you feel nice you could share it on here for further info.

If you find a good site that sells honda parts they should have diagrams of what the set entails. If not, then maybe contact a dealer. Otherwise I am sure many people on here have torn apart and order parts for this.
In which case wait until someone tells you here or you can browse through tech/misc. That seems to be where alot of tranny topics are covered.

Hopefully that is alot better than telling you to simply search.

Good day.

I knew about calling gear speed, but I went to Honda sites and they show diagrams. . but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at! I find the "3-4 synchro sleeve set " but not sure what the set includes.

And about the gear not being damaged, the 3-4 grinding symptom was VERY light. It would only grind on quick shifts at 8k RPM, but slow shifting at 8k, and normal daily driving would NEVER grind. I didn't wait for the problem to get worse. Maybe thats why there wasn't much damage.

Thanks for the quick responses! I just want to know what all my options are.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan_Mitosis
I knew about calling gear speed, but I went to Honda sites and they show diagrams. . but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at! I find the "3-4 synchro sleeve set " but not sure what the set includes.

And about the gear not being damaged, the 3-4 grinding symptom was VERY light. It would only grind on quick shifts at 8k RPM, but slow shifting at 8k, and normal daily driving would NEVER grind. I didn't wait for the problem to get worse. Maybe thats why there wasn't much damage.

Thanks for the quick responses! I just want to know what all my options are.
The sleeve set should include everything needed to replace the sleeve.
It is #8 here:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...FT+%28V-TEC%29

See how the line above the 8 points to several components? That's what's included when you order that part.