Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2k EX antenna replacement, can't get wire down the pillard.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 09:54 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2k EX antenna replacement, can't get wire down the pillard.

I thought I was clever by tying a small rope to the busted antenna before pulling it out and it actually worked... but when I tied it to the new one and pulled the rope snaped after the new antenna's wire got stuck somewhere in the pillard or during the turn toward the area behind the fuse box.

Any one have pictures, tools, ideas on how to get the wire down there? I thought this was going to be a 5 minute job... 4 screws and my wife's radio is back on-line (very important since she loves her tunes).

Normally when something like this happens on one of our cars I look at the other one to compare (I've got a 2k Si). But there's no way in hell I'm pulling my antenna's wire out just to be stuck with no way to get it back down on my car too!

Now I'm beginning to understand why the dealership wanted $80 for the install

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2004, 06:12 PM
New User

Default Re: 2k EX antenna replacement, can't get wire down the pillard. (asterix_2ksi)

TTT, so far I was suggested to use a coat hanger.. unfortunately the wife converted them all to wooden ones so I guess I'll have to buy one to try that out...

I was hoping there was a panel I could remove, although I've removed them all in an attempt to gain access. The only thing left is the dash... but I'd rather try a coat hanger or something similar first.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2k EX antenna replacement, can't get wire down the pillard. (asterix_2ksi)

you should of used wire instead of rope, you can get it eventually if you tie wire to it theres a little hole in the middle of the pillar you haveto get it through just move it around until it slides through it might take a while but you should get it, then pull on both ends to make the antenna go evenly through the hole, gl
Old 10-07-2004, 11:24 PM
New User

Default Re: 2k EX antenna replacement, can't get wire down the pillard. (Art In Motion)

Okay so I borrowed a wire-snake from a friend and ran the thing all the way until it bottomed out. With the driver seat reclined I wraped my feet around the head rest and lay on my back with my shoulders hanging on the ground as I tried to manouver my head around the gas pedal and the fuse box (under dash)... and I still couldn't see the damn hole where this is supposed to be. I'd like to find the hole so I could send the snake upward instead in case it's going too far and just going deeper into the pillard than the hole goes.

I've determined that even a midget couldn't perform this task easily... my nuckles are bleeding from all the sheet metal under the dash and I'm really pissed at my Helms manual for not having a single picture of any of this #^%! Why does the Helms only show the two screws ontop of the car and then nothing on where the wiring is? That's total BS

/end of rant

So please, oh please show me a picture of the hole or I might have to stoop as low as calling the service center and offering not to harm them if they tell me where the hole is
Old 10-08-2004, 01:21 AM

use a wire coat hanger. the connector should be behind the fuse box or behind the kick panel. i forgot where. i took mine out a couple months ago. if you're looking to buy a used one, let me know.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:16 PM
New User

Default Re: 2k EX antenna replacement, can't get wire down the pillard. (2 point 0)

The snake tool I mention is going more than 6' down, this thing is way better than a coat hanger, you can use it to run wires through walls and carpet.

I simply can't see it on the other side or maybe it's going lower than the hole.

Is the pillar shaped so that once you reach the bottom it forces your tool / wire out through some hole?

I'll take my Si apart tonight to check where it is and bring this whole thing to an end.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2004, 08:26 AM
New User

Weee!!!!

There's foam blocking a hole into the pillar behind a cross bar under the dash, as found by following the antenna wire on my Si. I was then able to run a wire snake up the hole, through the pillar and out the roof to pull down the wire of the antenna
Old 10-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And for anyone else who may attempt this in the future:

The best thing to use is 10ga solid wire from Home Depot / Lowes / whatever. It's very stiff, and thicker than a coat hanger. I use it all the time for running wires. Also tape the plug end of the antenna to the wire so that it doesn't get turned around or caught on anything when pulling back through the pillar.