Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2012 2.4L Civic Si Motor for past generation civics

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 2.4L Civic Si Motor for past generation civics

Anyone read about the new 2.4L Honda is producing for the 2012 Civic Si? Sounds like a K24 upgrade, which means that we can now swap this motor into our light weight, better looking, past generation Civics, as the K24 or whatever it is, is now in the same class car, and is no longer a "truck" engine by California standards

Now we just need to wait patiently for people to smash their brand new Civics so we can buy the motors out of them
Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2012 2.4L Civic Si Motor for past generation civics

interesting. relatively low on HP, for the liters, but torque is always nice to have.

i wish they'd release a new integra, as opposed to the weak sauce RSX.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Carroll Shelby once said: "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." I'm interested to see what kind of bolt ons and tuning will be available for the motor. If its a K24 then there is a lot of potential
Old 05-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
Carroll Shelby once said: "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." I'm interested to see what kind of bolt ons and tuning will be available for the motor. If its a K24 then there is a lot of potential
and Shelby did do some things right.

I'm not a big fan of the K series, but for someone who'd rather have a lot of torque without having to put a lot of time and effort into building a motor it's nice to have. There's no replacement for displacement, unless you boost.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now this is something i can look forward to.

although to finally get that engine bar'd you'd need the gas tank the new SI has but....

is this the k24 or have they decided another name for this series engine?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Katastrophic
now this is something i can look forward to.

although to finally get that engine bar'd you'd need the gas tank the new SI has but....

is this the k24 or have they decided another name for this series engine?
i read it's out of the TSX.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree the K is a large motor. It would be an interesting project to adapt a B family motor to incorporate continuously variable camshaft phasing (the "i" in i-VTEC). I also agree its more fun to build a motor to make power rather than pull one out of a box with power. But even then, for an all motor application I think the K24 has serious potential with the right parts.

Every subsequent model Honda releases is getting heavier, but more powerful.

This will be a great motor for a hatch. Just getting it into the chassis and making it street legal would be a lot of work and money
Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting, but it's not going to be a legal swap without the entire EVAP system in place including the gas tank in CA, so not sure how "bolt up" it will truely be. Seems like an awful lot of money when you could just buy a better car, but then again if you like your Honda then I guess you'll do whatever you have to in order to satisfy your need for power but keep your car.

And why is everyone so obssessed with torque? You all sound like a bunch of narrow minded fruit cakes. Torque does not win races, it just moves the car... If torque won races everyone would be running 25:1 gear ratios and drag racing would be the only form of motorsport on earth.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a combination of both of course.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotSiR
And why is everyone so obssessed with torque? You all sound like a bunch of narrow minded fruit cakes.
I think there is a lot to be said abut torque. I for one have swapped in bigger torquey engines in past Honda's with simply amazing results. B18C's, B20's, F22B, ect.....it's not these engines don't make HP either, but with the added torque, drivability goes up, and so has fuel mileage in my experience....so why hate on it?

I bought a 2000 model EM1 civic with B16A a couple years ago...i hate that engine! Torqueless little wonder that putters up, then has a short little blast of power at the end. I mean sure, you can spent time and money fixing it up....but the same could be said about starting with a stronger more powerful engine to begin with
Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
I think there is a lot to be said abut torque. I for one have swapped in bigger torquey engines in past Honda's with simply amazing results. B18C's, B20's, F22B, ect.....it's not these engines don't make HP either, but with the added torque, drivability goes up, and so has fuel mileage in my experience....so why hate on it?

I bought a 2000 model EM1 civic with B16A a couple years ago...i hate that engine! Torqueless little wonder that putters up, then has a short little blast of power at the end. I mean sure, you can spent time and money fixing it up....but the same could be said about starting with a stronger more powerful engine to begin with
How am I "hating" on torque? Please do enlighten me on how anything I said means that I hate torque...

Torque doesn't win races, sorry folks. A combination of engine power, weight of the vehicle and the balance of it, the suspension, the tires, the drivetrain, the gear ratios, the aerodynamics, the fuel milage, and more important than anything the driver and crew is what wins races. Pretty much all torque does is break stuff when people have more torque then brain power.

Back on topic: I would like to drive a new Civic Si whenever the local dealership has them available for test drives. I'm certainly interested to see what the car can do, but I think Honda may fall by the wayside if they don't jump on the turbo bandwagon. Seems like the turbocharger is the way of the future, better gas milage and a higher peak power number, can't go wrong to consumers with that.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

How am I "hating" on torque? Please do enlighten me on how anything I said means that I hate torque...

Torque doesn't win races, sorry folks..
And why is everyone so obssessed with torque? You all sound like a bunch of narrow minded fruit cakes.
I never said torque wins races! Please enlighten me where i said that, LOL

Why are people obsessed with wanting tq? Because the Civic doesn't make enough, this is why the is the desire for more of it....not sure why you had to ask

Your statement puts down others for admiring what torque has to offer, that most civic lack. People are excited about this new Si because it makes hp and tq...and of coarse those are just some mild tuned stock numbers from Honda before tuners get their hands on them. I had just touched in a couple of advantages to answer your question
Old 05-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so when and how was the rsx weaksauce? it was lighter then the civic si with the z3. the k24 will just build torque much earlier then the k20 can; plus about 20ft lbs of tq 2k rpms earlier but looses 10hp then the k20z1 had. sound like a v8 guru with all this tq wins races. not in the 1/4 mile but would benefit with more torque in autoX . depends on what the car is used for with alot of tq in the 1/4 mile would result in alot of low end wheel spin. to each thier own. some people favored the z3 over the z1. i think all this new dbw shyt is junk and another sensor to *** up on u.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
Anyone read about the new 2.4L Honda is producing for the 2012 Civic Si? Sounds like a K24 upgrade, which means that we can now swap this motor into our light weight, better looking, past generation Civics, as the K24 or whatever it is, is now in the same class car, and is no longer a "truck" engine by California standards
At what point were K24s ever considered a light truck engine? They put lots of them in Accords too you know, not just CR-Vs.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
I never said torque wins races! Please enlighten me where i said that, LOL

Why are people obsessed with wanting tq? Because the Civic doesn't make enough, this is why the is the desire for more of it....not sure why you had to ask

Your statement puts down others for admiring what torque has to offer, that most civic lack. People are excited about this new Si because it makes hp and tq...and of coarse those are just some mild tuned stock numbers from Honda before tuners get their hands on them. I had just touched in a couple of advantages to answer your question
There was a paragraph break between those quotes... Which means I moved to a different topic probably relating to a different person...
Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
so when and how was the rsx weaksauce? it was lighter then the civic si with the z3. the k24 will just build torque much earlier then the k20 can; plus about 20ft lbs of tq 2k rpms earlier but looses 10hp then the k20z1 had. sound like a v8 guru with all this tq wins races. not in the 1/4 mile but would benefit with more torque in autoX . depends on what the car is used for with alot of tq in the 1/4 mile would result in alot of low end wheel spin. to each thier own. some people favored the z3 over the z1. i think all this new dbw shyt is junk and another sensor to *** up on u.
Lack of a double wishbone really sucks. I really noticed the difference. I've driven a few RSX-S's and they just do not handle as well as any EK or Integra. Plus, the interior is lacking for being a newer car and the front end is just hideous.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
At what point were K24s ever considered a light truck engine? They put lots of them in Accords too you know, not just CR-Vs.
I didn't know accords used K24s, I've been out of the loop with newer Hondas. I stopped caring when they ditched all their cool cars... RSX, ITR, S2000, NSX. I mean comon... the Si is all that's left, and it looks like ***.

There were questions about the legality of doing a K24 swap in Cali. Perhaps its performing the swap using the K20A head on a K24 block that has California's tit in a bind.

So all in all maybe there isn't so much to be happy about... The specs of the Si motor are very similar to the K24Z3.

K24Z3
2009+ Acura TSX
Displacement: 2,354 cc (143.6 cu in)
Bore and Stroke: 87 mm x 99 mm (3.43 x 3.90 inches)
Compression: 11.0:1
Power: 201 @ 7000 rpm
Torque: 172 ft·lbf (MT), 170 ft·lbf (AT) @ 4300 rpm
Redline: 7100 rpm

K24Z7
Found in:
2012 Honda Civic Si (US)
Displacement: 2,354 cc (143.6 cu in)
Bore and Stroke: 87 mm x 99 mm (3.43 x 3.90 inches)
Compression: 11.0:1
Power: 201 HP @ 7000 RPM
Torque: 170 lbs·ft @ 4400 RPM
Redline: 7000 RPM

I think I just lost interest in yet another new release from Honda...
Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone mentioned the new si has that stupid built in manifold?

I was interested in buying a new one,but was hoping honda would have done somthing different with the powertrain. Who knows maybe they will with a mugen model.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
here in Cali when the k24 1st came out it was ruled as a light truck engine, which can be put in full sized cars etc.

but people with the 90s civics and some of the other 90s hondas' couldn't "legally" swap one in because you CANNOT put a light truck engine in a subcompact/compact car.

somewhere on the DMV website you can find the technically worded form of that but basically until now CALI considered the K24 engine as a "LIGHT TRUCK" motor.

also Accords and TSX are full sized cars
Old 05-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by Katastrophic
now CALI considered the K24 engine as a "LIGHT TRUCK" motor.

also Accords and TSX are full sized cars
Accords and TSX may be full size cars, but they are not trucks, and i don't believe that the the K24A2 and A4 models are considered truck engines, as they were never offered in any trucks

Don't forget, there are a number of different varieties of this engine, and i also seriously doubt the new 2012 civic Si engine which will be unique to itself will be considered a truck engine either