Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2002 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 wrx

Hey guys, im thinkin about lettin go of the 99 civic si (84 k miles)with full exhaust, intake. for a 2002 wrx with frontmount, hks bov, 07 wrx exaust, intake also same miles (84 k miles)

tell me your opinions some pros and cons. thanks.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: 2002 wrx (stock99si)

faster car, stock turboed, awd
insurence
Old 11-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, one thing wrong with cars with after market performance parts, is you dont know for certain that the car was abused or taken care of... they probably ran the hell out of it for all you know.

if it looks good, and clean, then its up to you. GL
Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

My questions would be...

1. How long do those Boxer engines run for
2. How long does the drivetrain last?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (fatpride111)

Insurance is definitely gonna KILL you. I got quoted 460 a month for a WRX. I pay 250 a month for my 00 Si.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: (Razr2)

I would go for it =]
Old 11-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: (Razr2)

I would go for the wrx. The turbo and awd is why I would get it. If you have an insurance company like mine you might get a deal, for some reason insurance for my Si is alittle less than $700 a year for comprehensive which I find strange because I had a 93 accord and it was $1200 a year for liability.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My questions would be...

1. How long do those Boxer engines run for
2. How long does the drivetrain last? </TD></TR></TABLE>

They're good engines. Subaru makes a quality product. The diff is from Fuji heavy industries. Same people that make Nissan diffs. Indestructable. The trans seems pretty solid as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Insurance is definitely gonna KILL you. I got quoted 460 a month for a WRX. I pay 250 a month for my 00 Si.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're getting RIPPED OFF. I pay $140/month for my S2000 and my GSR fully covered. My friend pays around $100 for his S2000 fully covered. Allstate.

BTW, they're all real. There's 2 missing. :

Personally, I really like the 99-00 Si a LOT. What do you want to do with the WRX? The problem with buying a used turbo car is that you NEVER know how it's been driven. I used to work at a toyota dealer. Someone traded in a fairly new WRX. Only had like 20ishK miles on it. It ran beautifully. One of the techs did an oil change and a general inspection. He took it out for a test drive (they did this with a lot of used cars that were newer to make sure everything was on the up and up before they sold it). It came back with smoke BILLOWING out of the tail pipe. Blown turbo.

Not the end of the world, but it can be expensive.

You really need to be up on maintainence with turbo cars. They can be really annoying. It's not going to be as worry free as your civic, but it will be faster. It will also likely handle better. But they're SOOOOOOO FREAKING UGLY. The only ones I kinda liked were the 04-05 front end STis or the 06-07 STis. The 06-07s were my fav.

Plus, I really dont like the way boxer motors sound. It's also hard to make real power. Seems like the inline motors work better for all that stuff.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Re: (B serious)

damn.... i pay 45 for full coverage on my si yes i said that right $45 a month.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They're good engines. Subaru makes a quality product. The diff is from Fuji heavy industries. Same people that make Nissan diffs. Indestructable. The trans seems pretty solid as well.

You're getting RIPPED OFF. I pay $140/month for my S2000 and my GSR fully covered. My friend pays around $100 for his S2000 fully covered. Allstate.

BTW, they're all real. There's 2 missing. :

Personally, I really like the 99-00 Si a LOT. What do you want to do with the WRX? The problem with buying a used turbo car is that you NEVER know how it's been driven. I used to work at a toyota dealer. Someone traded in a fairly new WRX. Only had like 20ishK miles on it. It ran beautifully. One of the techs did an oil change and a general inspection. He took it out for a test drive (they did this with a lot of used cars that were newer to make sure everything was on the up and up before they sold it). It came back with smoke BILLOWING out of the tail pipe. Blown turbo.

Not the end of the world, but it can be expensive.

You really need to be up on maintainence with turbo cars. They can be really annoying. It's not going to be as worry free as your civic, but it will be faster. It will also likely handle better. But they're SOOOOOOO FREAKING UGLY. The only ones I kinda liked were the 04-05 front end STis or the 06-07 STis. The 06-07s were my fav.

Plus, I really dont like the way boxer motors sound. It's also hard to make real power. Seems like the inline motors work better for all that stuff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and how long did you get your licence suspended???

i got one ticket for doing 66 in a 45..and boom, 6weeks with privliges...maybe because im a minor...but from what i can see thats alot more points on your licenes then i think your aloud to have....

hahaha
Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: 2002 wrx (stock99si)

is that a trade? your car for the wrx.
well if it is then i say don't do it. the wrx running the blow off valve is running very rich and i would stay away any wrx with an intake, a blow off valve. those two mods are not very friendly for the subarus.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 PM

if you like to know more about wrx i would be glad to help you. with those mods with no piggyback i would stay away.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

being a subaru guy...i'd say go for it. with a turbo upgrade, turbo back exhaust, tuning, and some suspension goodies...that car will be a blast to drive.

edit:

on the "i pay such and such for insurance"....
I pay 450/6 months for full coverage on; 07 STi, 00 civic EX, and 91 Integra.

the wrx is a safer car, it should be cheaper on the insurance end, also less likely to be stolen.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally wouldn't have neither. I like wrx's but I see them as rally cars more then street cars..

I would invest in a evo or perhaps a hardtop s2k
Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hiii Im TYLER)

try something different like what tyler said
Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: 2002 wrx (jd2dub07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jd2dub07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is that a trade? your car for the wrx.
well if it is then i say don't do it. the wrx running the blow off valve is running very rich and i would stay away any wrx with an intake, a blow off valve. those two mods are not very friendly for the subarus.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A BOV does not make a car run rich.

I think you're getting mixed up.

A non recirculating BOV on a MAF car (WRX, EVO, DSM, SR20DET, etc) will make the car run rich ONLY when you blow off. It only lasts for 1 cycle till the O2 sensor says "wtf"?

When you're on the throttle, the MAF sees a lot of air. Then you get off the throttle and all that air gets blown off into the atmosphere. The MAF allready told the ECU that there was a lot of air coming. So the ECU tells the injectors to match that air with a lot of fuel. The fuel gets there...but since the air is allready vented to the atmosphere, the car runs rich and stumbles. Then it either dies or corrects itself in time depending on how much you were on the gas previously.

A simple SAFC can correct for this. Or you could recirculate the BOV back to the intake tract. But that doesn't make the cool noises, and it also increases turbo respool times.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hiii Im TYLER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally wouldn't have neither. I like wrx's but I see them as rally cars more then street cars..

I would invest in a evo or perhaps a hardtop s2k </TD></TR></TABLE>

Evos are expensive. Way more than a WRX. The S2000 is nice...if you're doing the right things with it. It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you're into drag racing....just put the S2000 out of your mind completely.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by justinrl613 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and how long did you get your licence suspended???

i got one ticket for doing 66 in a 45..and boom, 6weeks with privliges...maybe because im a minor...but from what i can see thats alot more points on your licenes then i think your aloud to have....

hahaha </TD></TR></TABLE>

With some clever planning, none of those tickets are on my record. I take a lot of them to court. The rest...are hush hush techniques . I drive like a gramma, though. That's on the real. I just get harassed a lot. Or I'll just do like 15 over on a totally empty main road (like 60 in a 45 or something)..and the ONE time I do it, I get rolled lol.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2002 wrx (B serious)

WRX - won't get stolen, faster, four doors, handles better, safer in the snow, sounds better, looks cooler.

Civic Si - fat, slow, boring looking, thief magnet.

Not a difficult decision.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: 2002 wrx (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WRX - won't get stolen, faster, four doors, handles better, safer in the snow, sounds better, looks cooler.

Civic Si - fat, slow, boring looking, thief magnet.

Not a difficult decision.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then why dont you buy one?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2002 wrx

From all the info listed it seems it should be an extremely easy choice for the OP. The only concerns I had were with the engine/trans. After what has been said I cant see one damn reason to get the EM1.

WRX FTW!

If only the 08's didnt look the way they do.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: 2002 wrx (B serious)

Hondas in general (especially a 99-00 Si) are VERY easy to work on, and there are far more competant shops that can repair them without having to get assraped at the dealership. It will prove more difficult to find GOOD Subaru repair shops, but I'm sure there are some out there. If you're into working on your own car than you might hate the Scooby.

I think the Scooby is a good car, but I would always feel funny buying one second hand.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: 2002 wrx (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From all the info listed it seems it should be an extremely easy choice for the OP. The only concerns I had were with the engine/trans. After what has been said I cant see one damn reason to get the EM1.

WRX FTW!

If only the 08's didnt look the way they do. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can name a few reasons to keep the Si:

Styling (opinion, I know).

Quality.

Gas mileage.

Maintainence costs.

Engine sound. (Another opinion I guess)

Potential problem areas.

Dont get me wrong. I like the WRX....I just really really like EM1s....and Honda in general.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:24 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Re: (Frickr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn.... i pay 45 for full coverage on my si yes i said that right $45 a month. </TD></TR></TABLE>
If a 19 year old male pays only $45 a moth for full coverage insurance on a 1999-2000 Civic Si, then I can only figure you either live at home or otherwise are still under your parents' insurance.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If a 19 year old male pays only $45 a moth for full coverage insurance on a 1999-2000 Civic Si, then I can only figure you either live at home or otherwise are still under your parents' insurance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He lives in North Dakota. It's too cold and desolate to steal cars or get into accidents.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:35 PM

the car seems to be running fine. so you guys are saying that having a hks blow off valve is gonna make ur car run rich? i thought bovs do the car good, and whats so bad about a shortram intake?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Re: (stock99si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock99si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the car seems to be running fine. so you guys are saying that having a hks blow off valve is gonna make ur car run rich? i thought bovs do the car good, and whats so bad about a shortram intake?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nothing is wrong with a short ram intake.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A BOV does not make a car run rich.

I think you're getting mixed up.

A non recirculating BOV on a MAF car (WRX, EVO, DSM, SR20DET, etc) will make the car run rich ONLY when you blow off. It only lasts for 1 cycle till the O2 sensor says "wtf"?

When you're on the throttle, the MAF sees a lot of air. Then you get off the throttle and all that air gets blown off into the atmosphere. The MAF allready told the ECU that there was a lot of air coming. So the ECU tells the injectors to match that air with a lot of fuel. The fuel gets there...but since the air is allready vented to the atmosphere, the car runs rich and stumbles. Then it either dies or corrects itself in time depending on how much you were on the gas previously.

A simple SAFC can correct for this. Or you could recirculate the BOV back to the intake tract. But that doesn't make the cool noises, and it also increases turbo respool times.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW, all modern gas powered turbo cars have factory BOVs.

Quick Reply: 2002 wrx