Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2001+ CD Player Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001+ CD Player Install

Did a search, and I am about to install an aftermarket head unit into a 2001+ Civic. It's a 2002. I have installed many CD players before on previous model Hondas but I couldn't find any information on the 2001+ models. Instructions on how to attempt this will be appreciated.

Tanks,
Miege44
Old 12-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001+ CD Player Install (miege44)

i think the climate control pops right off. but maybe you should ask 7thgencivic.com
Old 12-29-2003, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001+ CD Player Install (JUN EK9)

I'll add this in for future reference in case anyone else does a search on how to accomplish this.

I just did the install on a 2002 Civic LX Coupe two days ago. 2001 and 2002 installs will be the same, and probably the same for 2003-2004, but don't quote me on that as I have heard that they will be slightly different.

First thing you want to do is take a flathead screwdriver with a rag wrapped around the end so you don't scratch the ashtray/lighter assembly and pry the ashtray/lighter assembly under in front of the center console outwards, it is just held on by clips, no screws. There is no need to loosen the center console to do this. It takes some force, but don't be afraid, as you probably won't break it. Its easier if you do one side at a time.

After this, look where the ashtray/lighter piece used to be at the heater console bracket. There are two bolts holding it in, so unbolt those. Stick your fingers behind where the bolts were from the back and push outwards. You will notice that the heater console moves a little bit. Pull off the heater control ***** and then push the heater console out. Again, it's somewhat hard to push out. It's held on by nine retaining clips. Give it some force and pull it out.

It makes things easier if you remove the heater control box, it gives you more room to work with. It's held on by three screws. You can unplug it completely but I just set it down in the hole where the heater console was. Take off the bracket that the two bolts at the beginning were holding the heater console on, and set it aside. Unplug the factory radio connectors and then unscrew it, I think there are four screws. It will either slide right out towards you or it may snap out.

Then follow the instructions that came with the new headunit to install it into the kit for the new headunit. It will snap right in to where the old radio was, then pull out the factory harness and join the harness that came with the radio to the factory one. I always opt to buy a harness beforehand so I can prepare it beforehand so it's ready to go and you don't have to sit and prepare it.

Plug the new harness back in to the new radio and to the connector thats still in the car and make sure it works.

Re-assembly is the reverse of dis-assembly so just go through the steps backwards.

Hopefully this will help, I don't think I forgot anything.

-Sean G.
-smokesnot@hotmail.com

Modified by f22a at 6:14 PM 12/29/2003