Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Si stolen and stripped...To rebuild or not to rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Si stolen and stripped...To rebuild or not to rebuild

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get some opinions. My Si was stolen and stripped basically to the bone. My question is do you guys think it is worth the effort to try an rebuild it? Basically, if I do rebuild it I plan on teaching myself as I go as my mechanics skills are limited to basic maintenance. Any ideas on how much it would cost?

Before it was stolen I had planned on putting it away and doing minor upgrades. I had wanted to keep it for the sentimental value but now I don't know what to do.

Here are some pics:

Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Si stolen and stripped...To rebuild or not to rebuild (TheWolf2000Si)

Doesn't look too bad. Just front end, engine, and interior pieces.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:27 AM
gtz
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 Si stolen and stripped...To rebuild or not to rebuild (BlueIntegraBoy)

Just buy another one
Old 04-06-2008, 01:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2000 Si stolen and stripped...To rebuild or not to rebuild (gtz)

if you already have another ride and don't care how long this one sits and you want the knowledge then rebuild it. however, with you having a very limited knowledge of mechanics, plus not knowing specifics of that particular car (i.e. not knowing where and how everything goes) it would be a much less hassle and headache if you just bought another one. it's basically a question if you WANT the experience of putting a car together. if it's not something you are really enthusiastic about then just buy another.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats going to take quite a bit to replace everything. Economically, it wouldn't be worth it. But sentimentally, it is your call.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I rebuilt my '94 Si after it was stolen. Was in the same condition as yours is now, but they left the seats. I did, however, have an extra engine to throw back in it.

I was lucky to find a pick-and-pull salvage yard that had dozen's of Civics straight from auction every week. I literally packed my EF with almost everything I needed for the rebuild and the yard just charged me one lump sum of $350. I rebuilt the car for thousands less than what it would have cost me to replace it and went on to put another 75,000 miles on it before selling it.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94CivicSi)

damn that sux!!! but its your call....but it looks like its gunna be a gud project if you do decided to bring it back to life...but ive seen worse
Old 04-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's really your call myself I would love the experience but then again that's me.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes you should.

My honda is like my kid

If my kid got really sick would i just send it away? no, i fix the problem and move on.

Thieves are cowards. Dont let them get the better of your kid

rebuild with a big engine, many kill switches, anti theft designs

this should help as far as security goes

http://causeforalarm.thecarthi...n6.EG/

Do yourself the favor. Treat yaself, Dont Cheat Yaself. Its a 2000 Si, the #1 stolen civic, you had to expect it sometime lol, not saying you deserved to get it stolen, but you know what i mean

bring her back to life.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (UniqueSi)

it is basically a rolling shell....kinda...if you are going to rebuild it i would build a full drag car i.e. dont replace all the interior pieces put what ever engine you want in it dont look at it as rebuilding a si look at it as building what ever you want. you are starting with a blank slate. it will be expensive and a lot of work but if you want to learn and have the cash more power to you. best of luck with what ever you decide on.

sorry about your car though, thieves can burn in hell.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Default Re:

Alright guys, I think I am going to try and rebuild. I know I will probably put more money into the car than it is worth but it has alot of sentimental value. Thanks for all of your opinions and encouragement. Hopefully we will get to know each other better since I am going to need alot of help on this. I figure it is going to take me awhile but I'd rather take my time and make sure I do everything right.

Any suggestions on where to start or where I can find info on what is exactly supposed to be where?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (TheWolf2000Si)

if you have a fat pocket do it but youre better of just gettin a new one man thats pretty bad
Old 04-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id make a project out of it and a big F*ck you to theives. First drive after being completely done is gonna be pure bliss.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (TheWolf2000Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheWolf2000Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Any suggestions on where to start or where I can find info on what is exactly supposed to be where?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you don't have a helms, get or download one.

Were any of the wiring harnesses cut? If so, now's the time to be pulling wiring through the firewall, while there's easy access on both sides.

Contact a few salvage yards too. See if you can find out who is their auction buyer and if he can let you know first when he gets in a car that you might want to pick over.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM

Default Re: 2000 Si stolen and stripped...To rebuild or not to rebuild (TheWolf2000Si)

did it have an alarm? I'm worried about my civic being stolen, all I have is a club, should I get an alarm???? **** like this scares me
Old 04-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 Si stolen and stripped...To rebuild or not to rebuild (gtz)

rebuild
Old 04-06-2008, 12:52 PM

oh my that is complete stripped. damn those thieves.
sorry for your lose
Old 04-06-2008, 01:04 PM

Default Re: 2000 Si stolen and stripped...To rebuild or not to rebuild (v!taminb16)

Yeah, it had a Viper alarm I had installed a year or so ago.

My advice is to get something with GPS. It will be more expensive but its probably your best bet in getting your car back before it gets completely stripped. Make sure the install is as hidden as possible. I wish I would have gone with that instead. Also, make sure you have full coverage that way at least you'll be compensated for your loss.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:40 PM

Default Re: (dannycraq)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dannycraq &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes you should.

My honda is like my kid

If my kid got really sick would i just send it away? no, i fix the problem and move on.

Thieves are cowards. Dont let them get the better of your kid

rebuild with a big engine, many kill switches, anti theft designs

this should help as far as security goes

http://causeforalarm.thecarthi...n6.EG/

Do yourself the favor. Treat yaself, Dont Cheat Yaself. Its a 2000 Si, the #1 stolen civic, you had to expect it sometime lol, not saying you deserved to get it stolen, but you know what i mean

bring her back to life. </TD></TR></TABLE>

CLICK on that link. This guy is right on the dot with this. That link has TONS of information and FAQ's and write-ups. READ. Thats to all of the people reading/posting here. And to the OP. . . before u spend you're first dollar, have a VERY CLEAR idea of what you want the outcome to be. Track car? Full Si? Drag Car? etc. Figure out your goal and getting there will be more efficient. And, the best of luck!
Old 04-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Uxi
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Juan_Mitosis)

All depends. Now's a great opportunity to put some majorly better seats (recaros or sparcos or the like), better engine (EM1 is a GREAT car for a B18C), etc.

Mine was mostly cosmetic damage and some inconveniencing. Rebuilt and licensed with a salvage title. In a way, I came off pretty good, as I got over $10k and the car. Not bad at all for 7 years and a 120k+ later. Repairs were a couple thousand tops (and that was replacing/upgrading to some Mugen and EK9 stuff jacked, as well as my in dash Nav).

Still need to do some more body stuff (front bumper corners were entirely ripped out, but they left my Mugen Type-SS lip.

Don't get me wrong... I'd still like to put a .45 slug in their brain buckets, but I'm complacent no more (major security updates ensure I should get the opportunity to sling some lead if not get the fuzz on 'em).

Old 04-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did your insurance company total it out? Check ebay and salvage yards to replace the parts. I would definitely rebuild it. It might take some time though, to track down all the parts, etc. to get back to what you had...
Old 04-10-2008, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not worth rebuilding. There's too much that's missing, expecially the interior.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sell me that shell for cheap :D
Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rebuilding will be more expensive than buying an entirely new/used one i'm guessing..

depends on if its really worth it to you.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:54 AM

Default Re: (instrument)

Id rebuild

Quick Reply: 2000 Si stolen and stripped...To rebuild or not to rebuild