Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 si engine problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 si engine problem.

hello, just bought civic si with engine problem, i can not explain it very technical but the problem is that the main shaft does not move.

So is there any posibillity to identify the problem without taking the engine apart. How can I see something by removing oil pan from bottom? any ideas, if you need more info i will try to provide thank you.

Modified by smag at 12:55 PM 11/4/2007
Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2000 si engine problem. (smag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hello, just bought civic si with engine problem, i can not explain it very technical but the problem is that the main shaft does not move.
So is there any posibillity to identify the problem without taking the engine apart. How can I see something by removing oil pan from bottom? any ideas, if you need more info i will try to provide thank you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you mean the main shaft in the tranny, or are you refering to the crank?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 si engine problem. (philosofy1)

hmm, the main problem is that i am now away from the car and cannot tell more about the problem, but my brother-in-low told me, as I understood it correctly that nothing moves here in the head, so the main shaft in the crank does not move also, but i dont know how it can be. What can cause this, the mechanic (i don't or the good one), said that it is better to change the engine and to identify the problem its more expensive but maybe there is something common that happens to this b16a2 engine. I will try to contact him and ask more details about it.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its probably seized up and if thats the case, yes..it would be MUCH MUCH cheaper to just by a new motor.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com

that should help you out a little bit if you need a new motor
Old 09-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm, the main problem is that i am now away from the car and cannot tell more about the problem, but my brother-in-low told me, as I understood it correctly that nothing moves here in the head, so the main shaft in the crank does not move also, but i dont know how it can be. What can cause this, the mechanic (i don't or the good one), said that it is better to change the engine and to identify the problem its more expensive but maybe there is something common that happens to this b16a2 engine. I will try to contact him and ask more details about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

looking at your pic, i seee there is a cold air intake. if water was sucked in your motor has probably hydro locked, which in this case, yes the motor is seized and nothing will move.

if you are financialy OK, you have a great opportunity. rebiuld the motor better, replace the motor with one better, rebiuld the replacement one to be better.

oh yeah, the mainshaft is in the tranny. main shaft and cranks are 2 different things.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, lots of chances that motor is hydro locked, but maybe You know how to idetify it 100% without taking apart the motor, can it be done by opening oil pan, and to see or rods are not broken or deformated. But as i think now, that yes it is hydrolocked..., i guess let's start finding new engine...
Old 09-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, lots of chances that motor is hydro locked, but maybe You know how to idetify it 100% without taking apart the motor, can it be done by opening oil pan, and to see or rods are not broken or deformated. But as i think now, that yes it is hydrolocked..., i guess let's start finding new engine...</TD></TR></TABLE>

honestly, it's not worth the time if you are going to replace it.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, i calculated $, and decided to change the engine, and of course to put cold air intake bypass valve.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
All Motor Mentor

If you hydrolocked your engine you would have had to suck a lot of water up into that intake....did that happen? If there is water in there, take the spark plugs out and try to turn the engine over and see what comes out. It could have a broken crank shaft which would also not rotate the engine when cranking (trying to start it). What happens when you try to start the engine? do you hear anythintg at all?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 si engine problem. (00Red_SiR)

actually, as far as i know, the car got broken 3-4 months ago, someone tried to fix it or to look what's the problem, opened the valve cover and oil pan, the car was standing 4 months like that - without oil in engine and was towed some miles. so maybe here is the problem. If it is hydrolocked i don't know how much water it sucked, even if it hydrolocked, but there is no any outside signs that something wrong with we block, its not broken, it can not be seen visually. as you can see in the pic, head inside is not oily, as as I understood nothing moves here. By the way, if it is not hydrolocked, what can be then? thank you for answers, i appreciate this
Old 09-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one more q, as far as i know if car has been hydrolocked and the main block is harmed, how about the head? Is it enough to change only the block, because i can get b16a2 main block very cheap. So I am still trying to fix my possible hydrolocked motor, instead of changing it.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:16 PM
All Motor Mentor

If your car gets hydrolocked it usually bends the rods. I'm not so sure this it's what's wrong with your car.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for answer, i don't know too what is wrong, i am away and i contact only due my brother-in-low, but as i understood, yes it can be - bended rods. And main shaft does not move, so can hydrolock harm b16a2 head. I will say again, i got a good one b16a2 block (all rods and shaft a good (friend did b20 swap)) so the question is still open, can it be got fixed byu changing only b16a2 block, leaving the head the head the same? thank you very much for answers
Old 09-27-2007, 04:27 PM
OG Tech

what exactly happens when u try to turn the car on? does it even try to crank and the timing belt is just rolling over the cam gears?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: 2000 si engine problem. (EGfosho)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hello, just bought civic si with engine problem, i can not explain it very technical but the problem is that the main shaft does not move.
here the pic

So is there any posibillity to identify the problem without taking the engine apart. How can I see something by removing oil pan from bottom? any ideas, if you need more info i will try to provide thank you.</TD></TR></TABLE>
if you have the valve cover off with the spark plug wires still in it...you should re connect the ground that was on your valve cover
Old 09-28-2007, 04:33 AM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for answer, i don't know too what is wrong, i am away and i contact only due my brother-in-low, but as i understood, yes it can be - bended rods. And main shaft does not move, so can hydrolock harm b16a2 head. I will say again, i got a good one b16a2 block (all rods and shaft a good (friend did b20 swap)) so the question is still open, can it be got fixed byu changing only b16a2 block, leaving the head the head the same? thank you very much for answers </TD></TR></TABLE>

Like you, we are also not able to physically examine the engine so it's impossible for us to say what is or isn't damaged. It sounds like you have a broken crank if the engine turns over but nothing moves. If nothing turns over (seized) then any number of things might or might not be damaged. If you have a B16a2 block, odds are you'll probably be able to swap the old head onto it with little or no repair work needed and have it work for you again.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so some news, honda specs diagnosed that block is burned, somehow overheated and needs to be changed, head is ok, so i am gona put crv b20 block, and have ~200hp nice will inform you later about it thank you
Old 11-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so, swap is done now i have civic si 2000 b20vtec, 172whp and 181nm (138lbs) torque. It runs pretty nice.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yay...