Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Honda Civic EX Head Gasket Problems (2nd Gasket)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Honda Civic EX Head Gasket Problems (2nd Gasket)

Been reading the boards here for quite a few years but this is my first time posting. I’m having difficulties getting the head gasket to seal on my 2000 Civic EX with the D16Y8 engine. The car currently has 150,000 miles on it and runs well.
I bought the car new and it did overheat once at about 100K causing the original head gasket to eventually need replacing. I did the first head gasket at 115K, along with the timing belt and water pump. I checked the block and head at this time and they didn’t appear warped. I used a felpro gasket and purchased new head bolts (Honda OEM). Another 25-30K miles and it started leaking again. Coolant was leaking in to the pistons and car would have a rough idle until the coolant burned off. I drove it like this for another 5-10K miles like this adding coolant periodically up until 150,000 miles where I am now with my current problem.

The problem I am having after the 2nd head gasket is that the car starts to overheat when idling or when stopped in traffic. During normal driving without stop and go traffic the temperature gauge stays at the halfway mark. I am losing a small amount of coolant and I believe that the exhaust gas is leaking in to the cooling system causing an air pocket. I did bleed the air out of the cooling system, raising the front end and letting the car idle with radiator cap off. Radiator cap is also new (Honda OEM).
The radiator fan doesn’t kick on at all, even when the temp gauge goes over the halfway mark. I tested the fan itself by jumping it directly to the battery and the fan comes on and if I jump the radiator fan switch connector the fan also comes on. The fan switch is new (Honda OEM) and I tested it for continuity by placing it in boiling water and probing the terminals so I know it works.

When the car is cold and I start it and let it idle the thermostat doesn’t open. The thermostat is new (Honda OEM). It seems to me that there is an air pocket forming at the top of the thermostat housing and the air isn’t hot enough to open the thermostat or turn on the fan switch. If I drive the car the thermostat does eventually open.

When I did the head gasket last week I used a Honda OEM gasket, New head bolts, thermostat and radiator fan switch. I also purchased a remanufactured cylinder head. I checked the block and head with a straight edge and feeler gauge and they checked out okay. I was meticulous about cleaning the mating surfaces and torqueing the bolts correctly.

I am wondering in the block is causing the gasket not to seal properly. I did gently use some 800 grit paper to clean off the top of the block but didn’t go crazy. I took some pictures of the block and although it is unlikely that I am going to pull the engine and have the block resurfaced, I would like to hear any ones comments or advice on the condition of the block or if there is anything that I could try to get it to seal with another gasket. The block looks pretty good to me but i'm not sure.

Thanks Dave

Old 03-02-2016, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Honda Civic EX Head Gasket Problems (2nd Gasket)

I checked the block and head with a straight edge and feeler gauge and they checked out okay.
Precision straight edge? Checking for warpage as per service manual instructions?

Are you following the service manual instructions to the tee for installing the head and torquing the bolts in steps in the proper sequence?
Old 03-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brand New Central Tools 6429 Straight Edge 24x1/4" $80 from Amazon and New CDI Torque wrench even though I don't think there were anything wrong with the 2 wrenches that I already had.

I checked the block and head with the feeler gauge and couldn't find any issues and followed the directions to the tee. Cleaned the block and head with brake cleaner and followed the proper torque sequence per the manual.

Does the block look okay?
Old 03-02-2016, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Start the engine cold with the radiator cap off and rev it. If you get a lot of bubbles or even coolant gushing out, that's a head gasket leak.

Assuming that looks OK, next jump the fan switch and test drive with the fan running all the time. Overheating that occurs ONLY when the car is sitting still almost has to be a fan problem.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You can also rent a block tester kit from AutoZone to test for exhaust gas in the cooling system.

Here's the proper cooling system bleed method:

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d.../#post39830585