Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 DX Hatch with HX D16y5 /5 Speed - Work in Progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 DX Hatch with HX D16y5 /5 Speed - Work in Progress

I have always LOVED the 6th Gen. I had a LX four door for 4 years. Sold it and got a MR2. Totaled it (young and stupid).
Bought a Ridgeline, kept it from 18k to now over 240k (paid for, parked, used for pleasure). Then I found this to daily.

Name:  tHMGuXFl.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  109.3 KB

2000 DX. Stock. Auto. Unmolested. Perfect paint.

So I did what any sane person would do. Plasti-Dipped her OD Green.
Save that candy red for later
Red civic on hwy = target
Red civic on the track = awesome
Name:  nZLjresl.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  89.3 KB
--PIC after fresh bath----

I drove it one year with out AC and went about searching for a feasible way to AC retrofit the car, all the while the auto transmission was going out. So I found a front end (passenger side) collision 98 HX with 176k. I drove to Nashville and looked at it. Car fired right up and blew cold air. So my brother and I loaded it on a trailer by hand with a come-along and a jack (took 2 hours). I got the car back to Knoxville and found a local shop to do the swap. (I am capable but lacking extensive knowledge/tools/garage/time was the issue so I paid to have it done, I needed the car back asap and auto tranny was shot)
After the many hurdles with this shop I got the car back. Apparently there is more to this particular swap than originally intended. I got the hatch back with a working motor, 5 speed, and navigation lights. New timing belt, water pump, cleaned injectors, new plugs. But the dash came from the HX which had broken windows and weather damage to the interior were not ideal. The HX(being a coupe with a different harness for the reverse lights and tach) did not work in the Hatch. I still have No Tach or Speed or Reverse Lights. I have a thread started on how to fix this issue and decided to just get the car back from the shop "as is"(dash and interior in shambles) and I would learn to do the harness modification to fix the issue myself. I ordered a new climate bezel and a few other interior pieces to replace what I needed on the dash. Got her all detailed out and complete now. AC working etc.

Name:  F3qNGaZl.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  59.2 KB

Next Step: (sell off the rest of the HX)
-Fix Cluster to OEM working order.
-Yakima Rack
-Fog lights
-Euro Signal Indicators
-Brakes Upgrade
-Ground Control

I really have no interest in this car being fast(for now). I want a low cost of operation. The HX Low End Vtec and Manual Transmission give me exactly what I want. I would love for it to handle and stop to the best of its abilities in the future, but for now I am happy.

Just thought I would share the progress of my hatch.

-cheers
Old 01-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 DX Hatch with HX D16y5 /5 Speed - Work in Progress

Why did you swap the dash??

That doesn't add up about the harness being different and affecting those two things.

I recently converted a CRX to OBD2 and swapped in a D16Y5. It passed safety and smog inspection and has been daily driven for over a year now with no check engine lights or problems.

The tach wire and pinout is the same across all models. It's a blue wire going from the distributor to the driver's side strut tower harness plug, in through the firewall to the cluster. You can hook up a voltmeter to the wire, rev the engine and watch the voltage climb and fall.

The backup light switch wire is often listed erroneously as "auto trans" on amateur documentation I've found online. It's one of two green/black wires on the green plug near the ECU harness plugs. The green plug is called C131. The correct green/black is right next to a red wire. My guess it isn't the wire at all, but the switch in the trans not plugged in.

Come to think of it, if your tach and speedo both aren't working, it's not a harness difference at all, it's a plug harness left unplugged or loose.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by baller status
The tach wire and pinout is the same across all models. It's a blue wire going from the distributor to the driver's side strut tower harness plug
^Not for OBD2b 99-00 Civics - the blue tach wire for them comes from the ECU. An exception is the 99-00 Civic HX, 5-speed, which is OBD2a, whereas the 99-00 Civic HX, CVT is OBD2b.

Last edited by Former User; 01-21-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

wow interesting build. continue
Old 01-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by baller status
Why did you swap the dash??

That doesn't add up about the harness being different and affecting those two things.

I recently converted a CRX to OBD2 and swapped in a D16Y5. It passed safety and smog inspection and has been daily driven for over a year now with no check engine lights or problems.

The tach wire and pinout is the same across all models. It's a blue wire going from the distributor to the driver's side strut tower harness plug, in through the firewall to the cluster. You can hook up a voltmeter to the wire, rev the engine and watch the voltage climb and fall.

The backup light switch wire is often listed erroneously as "auto trans" on amateur documentation I've found online. It's one of two green/black wires on the green plug near the ECU harness plugs. The green plug is called C131. The correct green/black is right next to a red wire. My guess it isn't the wire at all, but the switch in the trans not plugged in.

Come to think of it, if your tach and speedo both aren't working, it's not a harness difference at all, it's a plug harness left unplugged or loose.

As stated I did not do the majority of the swap. I was under the impression the dash swap was mostly due to the AC-retrofit. They told me it was due to the heaterbox and AC components.

I am not 100% sure why it was done. Because I've been told that with some modification they could have used the existing dash. But now its detailed I'm not sure I care, looks fine.

I do need to figure out the Tach-Speedo Issue tho.

Here is a thread about why this was not going to work without re shrouding the harness.
I am still new to some of this so I appreciate any thoughts and information about how to get everything working.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also If anyone knows where I can source a correct diagram for the climate control cable and how it connects to the box properly on a 98 HX I would greatly appreciate it. RIght now I have the cable on there But I am sure I have it wrong. Having to manually adjust the temp from behind the dash. Is there a spring that pulls tension the other way or is it a two cable operation?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

They should've swapped that cable over as well. Also why not do the power door lock and window conversion while you had everything?