Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic Si/EM1 smells like burnt (oil?) after hitting v-tec

Old 05-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic Si/EM1 smells like burnt (oil?) after hitting v-tec

so i got a 2000 civic si and after some spirited driving that includes hitting vtec, it smells like burnt oil or something like that, for about a minute. obviously this only happens when i have the windows down. Everything is stock except for an AEM cold air intake. Car has 29,000 miles on the stock engine (B16). There is also a rattle coming from under the hood/under the car at low RPM's. Sounds like something with the exhaust. Car passed CA smog test everything is legit on it. Any info as to what this problem is or how to fix it would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Civic Si/EM1 smells like burnt (oil?) after hitting v-tec

It sounds like you have an exhaust leak. I'd start at the doughnut gasket where the Cat meets the exhaust manifold down pipe, chances are it isn't sealing properly and exhaust is leaking up through the shifter compartment, or if that's not it then check the opposite side of the Cat converter where it meets the cat back.

New gaskets are pretty cheap. As for the burning oil is the car consuming oil? Does the oil become dark/black quickly after an oil change? Is there blue smoke coming from the tail pipe?

It's generally considered normal for B family motors with VTEC to burn a little oil when driven like you drove yours. But if the answer to the questions above is "yes" then I'd say your rings my also not be sealing properly, but with 29,000 miles I'd hope that motor has plenty of life left in it.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
It sounds like you have an exhaust leak. I'd start at the doughnut gasket where the Cat meets the exhaust manifold down pipe, chances are it isn't sealing properly and exhaust is leaking up through the shifter compartment, or if that's not it then check the opposite side of the Cat converter where it meets the cat back.

New gaskets are pretty cheap. As for the burning oil is the car consuming oil? Does the oil become dark/black quickly after an oil change? Is there blue smoke coming from the tail pipe?

It's generally considered normal for B family motors with VTEC to burn a little oil when driven like you drove yours. But if the answer to the questions above is "yes" then I'd say your rings my also not be sealing properly, but with 29,000 miles I'd hope that motor has plenty of life left in it.
Yeah there is definetly heat coming from the hole where the hand brake comes out. I'll check out the gaskets see how they are doing.

& no it is not wasting oil i checked that. The oil is still a clearish color and not dark. So im guessing it's just normal or some other problem.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heat is normal, the exhaust is directly below the shifter and E-brake. What you're smelling is not heat, it's exhaust gas. Don't worry about the heat
Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heat is normal, the exhaust is directly below the shifter and E-brake. What you're smelling is not heat, it's exhaust gas. Don't worry about the heat
Oh alright, what about the whole ambiance smelling like burnt oil after i hit vtec?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure how you can smell anything from the engine compartment going 30+ mph and accelerating rapidly. Are you talking about when you stop the car, then you smell oil? Because if that's the case then this is a completely different topic
Old 05-14-2012, 01:06 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by luuisss
Car has 29,000 miles on the stock engine (B16)
ROFL... no it doesn't.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was skeptical of 29k miles also, but regardless, determining the nature of the issue is still the key to solving the problem

Although if the motor had 290k miles I'd be more inclined to believe it, and I would be more likely to suggest that the motor is old and tired and needs new rings
Old 05-14-2012, 01:41 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was skeptical of 29k miles also, but regardless, determining the nature of the issue is still the key to solving the problem

Although if the motor had 290k miles I'd be more inclined to believe it, and I would be more likely to suggest that the motor is old and tired and needs new rings
Logically, it would make sense that the car has much higher mileage, and the OP is victim of a cluster swap. I would assume he has bad rings, or possibly needs a valve job.

Conversely, if the car really HAS just been sitting for 12 years without being driven much, he could have the same problems.

Either way, if he's not seeing smoke under acceleration, and his cylinder compression seems within reason, I wouldn't mess with it.

Have you done a compression or leakdown test OP?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's kinda normal for rides to smell kinda burnt if its stopped after going hard on it. My suvs smell like burnt after racing my buddys on the highway. Their trucks too
Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
ROFL... no it doesn't.
I thought so too. Too good to be true right? But nah i carfaxed it and everything. I was a victim of the cluster swap once before and didnt let it happen again aha. Bought the car off of some rich russians that had it sitting there for about 9 years.
And yes i can still smell the burnt stuff even when im going over 30mph or if its stopped. It seems to just come along with the vtec.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gzes
It's kinda normal for rides to smell kinda burnt if its stopped after going hard on it. My suvs smell like burnt after racing my buddys on the highway. Their trucks too
i'm leaning more towards this lol
Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Logically, it would make sense that the car has much higher mileage, and the OP is victim of a cluster swap. I would assume he has bad rings, or possibly needs a valve job.

Conversely, if the car really HAS just been sitting for 12 years without being driven much, he could have the same problems.

Either way, if he's not seeing smoke under acceleration, and his cylinder compression seems within reason, I wouldn't mess with it.

Have you done a compression or leakdown test OP?
No i haven't done any of these. How much do these tests cost at a shop?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by luuisss
i'm leaning more towards this lol
Okay so you have an oil leak. Look at your engine and find it.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so you have an oil leak. Look at your engine and find it.
car sitting for 9 years, low mileage, finally someone suggests this, ive been just waiting for it lol,

check for oil leaks around the whole perimeter of where the cylinder head mates to the engine block. usually when you come to stops and smell oil, it will end up being the cam seals/ distributor seals/ ect. in that area.

congrats with obtaining a low mileage creampuff also
Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beecee18
car sitting for 9 years, low mileage, finally someone suggests this, ive been just waiting for it lol,
Indeed. I am always at ends with people who are still learning the basics of effective communication. The ability to speak or type, and the ability to effectively convey thought or intent are two different things. Most people suck at the latter.

Unfortunately pointing this out will not motivate people to identify critical details and include them as to not waste the time of those that would help them. This is a natural consequence of humans and their perpetual lack of intelligence.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Indeed. I am always at ends with people who are still learning the basics of effective communication. The ability to speak or type, and the ability to effectively convey thought or intent are two different things. Most people suck at the latter.

Unfortunately pointing this out will not motivate people to identify critical details and include them as to not waste the time of those that would help them. This is a natural consequence of humans and their perpetual lack of intelligence.
I know its off topic, but love your car/R swap
done correctly as it can be, Im doing something similar, and as a smog guy myself I know what it takes to do these correct expecially still maintaining the OBD2B protocol, enjoy your tradeoff for your hardwork done!
or should I say work not hardwork for folks like us.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks it's been an interesting build. PM me with what you're doing, if you need help with anything I'd be glad to advise
Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks it's been an interesting build. PM me with what you're doing, if you need help with anything I'd be glad to advise
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/beecee18s-em1-restoration-build-thread-3031411/
Old 05-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beecee18

check for oil leaks around the whole perimeter of where the cylinder head mates to the engine block. usually when you come to stops and smell oil, it will end up being the cam seals/ distributor seals/ ect. in that area.

congrats with obtaining a low mileage creampuff also
Thank you and also thank you to EJ8man for the help.

& thanks. She's a beauty :D haha she was a diamond in a pile of rocks (or something like that idk exactly how the saying goes) lol