Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 CIvic SI (EM1) Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 CIvic SI (EM1) Project

Hello All,

My wife got my a Project car for our 10 year anniversary in April 2015 and I'm really excited on getting started. My build is going to be 100% street legal, YES, I live in California . Anyways, This car has been my dream car since I was 15 and couldn't afford this brand new. I'm also on a budget, not a super budget but not enough where I can blow 1000's every month like some people. So as of this post I've bought the following items:

Viper Alarm
Honda Civic Si 1.6L VTEC Engine Rebuild Kit B16A2
Skunk2 Alpha Radiator w/cap
Driveshaft Shop High Performance Axles L&R
Mishimoto Racing Thermostat
Megan Motor and Transmission Mounts
Gates Timing Belt Component Kit
Mishimoto Aluminum Fan and Shroud Kit
ARP Head Studs
ARP Main Studs and Bolts
Skunk2 Alpha Valve Spring and Titanium Retainer Kit
B-Series VTEC Alpha Series Valves
B-Series Tuner Series Camshafts Stage 1
Black Series Pro Series Cam Gears
Unorthodox Racing High Performance Pulleys
B-Series VTEC Lost Motion Assembly
Honda Viton Valve Stem Seal Kit

So 3 weeks back I pulled the motor out and found out that the previous owners had ran water through the coolant lines, it was rusted pretty bad and when they sold it, they mixed green and red coolant, creating a mud/sludge build up throughout the engine bay . On the plus side, I also discovered it's a JDM engine, B16A, sweet bonus ! then I found out the transmission is an LSD, even better ! So I sent the head to get a mild PnP, resurfaced and the block to get hot tanked, polished crankshaft and honed for the replacement pistons and to get the new engine bearings matched up to the crank. That should be done by this Friday, July 3rd.

Sorry for not having pictures, I got sucked into this project and forgot to take a lot of "before" pictures. I will take sometime soon and take a bunch of pictures and post to my thread.

After I get the motor back in, and break-in the new parts I plan on getting a tune for about $800. The tune package includes an ODB1 ECU, Hondata S300, and about unlimited(?) hours of tuning. Couldn't pass up that deal. I will give credit to the shop that is helping me with this project, RedZone in Antioch, CA. They have very good rates for those on a budget. If you live close or even a couple hours away, it might be worth your while.

I plan on doing this project in phases. Here is my timeline:

Phase I - Valvetrain upgrade, head work, block work, overall Engine/Engine bay cleaning - TUNE

Phase II - ALL bolt-ons (CAI, Head, Exhaust, mani, TB) - TUNE

Phase III - Transmission (clutch, fly, close gears, short shift) - TUNE (if needed?)

Phase IV - Suspension (coilovers or airbags)

Phase V - Engine dress-up (Vtec solenoid, solenoid cover, cam seal, wire cover, low-pro valve cover bolts, oil catch, coolant reservoir, etc.)

Phase VI - Sound system (deck, custom built truck subs and amps, all upgraded speakers, extra battery, etc.)

Phase VII - 1.6 to 2.0 Stroker Kit

I want to keep the car's exterior stock (sleeper). I will most likely go to race meets and take my car to shows, I like both scenes and can't choose so I decided I will do both.

If anyone has suggestions, please comment and let me know, I will take all comments seriously and weigh out my options. This is my first project car ever so I'm very excited to hear from you all. and my goal is to be as close as possible to 300WHP N/A. I might throw on a JRSC as the final thing (yes I know I will need to lower my compression

Stay tuned...
Old 07-01-2015, 09:37 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2000 CIvic SI (EM1) Project

So uh, not to **** on your parade, but how exactly do you plan on getting it tuned and still being able to pass smog? For that matter, how do you plan on stroking it out and still being street legal?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditch the airbag plan as well. horrible, horrible, horrible. nice, fullbody coilovers.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
So uh, not to **** on your parade, but how exactly do you plan on getting it tuned and still being able to pass smog? For that matter, how do you plan on stroking it out and still being street legal?
I will have my OEM ODB2 ECU in hand for smog purposes. I don't think the stroker kit will throw any codes, I will ask my local smog guy in town again, because he was telling me that putting bigger pistons and PnP won't fail smog, only the Tune will but he said just swap it back before smog and I will pass no problem.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
ditch the airbag plan as well. horrible, horrible, horrible. nice, fullbody coilovers.
lol yea, that's the fine line of race or show right? I was only think if I airbagged it, when I'm parked somewhere or at a showcase I can just slam it to the ground instead of having to adjust all 4 coilovers just me being lazy is all :p But most likely I will be putting it on coilovers.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:03 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

slammed on the ground is nowhere near as sexy as lowered AND functional.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Faayde
I will have my OEM ODB2 ECU in hand for smog purposes. I don't think the stroker kit will throw any codes, I will ask my local smog guy in town again, because he was telling me that putting bigger pistons and PnP won't fail smog, only the Tune will but he said just swap it back before smog and I will pass no problem.
So you're going to completely revert the car to stock every year for smog? And every time you get pulled over? You can't drive on the stock ECU with the turbo and oversized injectors installed. Eh, more power to you...

And there's more to a stroker kit than just bigger pistons.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, ECU is just unplug ODB1 ECU and plug in ODB2, about a 5 minute job. I never said I was doing a turbo kit on the car with oversized injectors. Correct about the stroker kit, the pistons was just an example the smog guy was talking about.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:54 AM

Oh, huh, you didn't. That's what I get for posting right as I roll out of bed.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Photos?