Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic Si Breather Chamber Question???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic Si Breather Chamber Question???

I have a 2000 Civic si and I am building. I just got the engine in and most everything hooked up (Electronic & Hosing) I dont have any of the parts for this (pictured below) and was wondering if its something I can bypass or its needed.
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Civic Si Breather Chamber Question???

yeah run an oil catch can system you need the decide wiether or not you want to run A.N. fittings or hoses with clamps you can use the oil cooler fittings off an h22 or gsr block you can get them from honda i dont remember the part number but theres an idea
Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's mine
Old 06-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like one of these Tanks:

Old 06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im going to be putting a turbo on it very soon (still building the car) so a catch is prolly a good idea ya think? Hows that work and whats it do? Sorry im still learning and clueless about some stuff still. Lol
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2TrippleOhSi
Im going to be putting a turbo on it very soon (still building the car) so a catch is prolly a good idea ya think? Hows that work and whats it do? Sorry im still learning and clueless about some stuff still. Lol
Putting a turbo on a car that was designed to be N/A is fine as long as all weaknesses have been addressed. One of those problem areas will be the crank case ventilation. As the motor produces more power, it will also produce more blow-by gasses, more crank case pressure and more oil slinging around in the valve cover area. This oil, sludge, blow-by and even condensation will get shoved into the combustion chamber with the stock design. This causes the combustion to be diluted and the VERY important octane will be lowered. Think about how much a single drop of oil will cause the small amount of gas to be contaminated EVERY combustion event. Especially at start up when the oil pools in the intake manifold, around the valves and so on. All the carbon build up it will create. Fuel molecules will hide behind that carbon build up. When your combustion chamber gets over heated from the forced air, it will cause those fuel molecules to ignite. That ignition will ALWAYS be at the wrong time!!! Whne your piston is on its way up, and the fuel ignites.... BOOM! Detonation. The number one killer of boosted motors.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a little insurance. You spend thousands on making the motor perform, but so many overlook the little things that KEEP it performing. I started designing these tanks after spending over 40 hours porting my head, 30 hours on gasket matching the intake manifold.... and so on.... After all that polishing and making it perfect, there was no way I wanted a single drop of crap ruining it all. So there was also no way I was going to make my tank like the others either. Most of the eBay garbage you see out there (the "economy" catch cans) are just empty aluminum boxes. They offer nothing for flow, nothing to actually catch the crud, and they look horrible! Dont be a cookie cutter follower and get something everyone else already has... design your own color combo, fitting location and the whole works. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANT!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: 2000 Civic Si Breather Chamber Question???

Originally Posted by signature sound
Putting a turbo on a car that was designed to be N/A is fine as long as all weaknesses have been addressed. One of those problem areas will be the crank case ventilation. As the motor produces more power, it will also produce more blow-by gasses, more crank case pressure and more oil slinging around in the valve cover area. This oil, sludge, blow-by and even condensation will get shoved into the combustion chamber with the stock design. This causes the combustion to be diluted and the VERY important octane will be lowered. Think about how much a single drop of oil will cause the small amount of gas to be contaminated EVERY combustion event. Especially at start up when the oil pools in the intake manifold, around the valves and so on. All the carbon build up it will create. Fuel molecules will hide behind that carbon build up. When your combustion chamber gets over heated from the forced air, it will cause those fuel molecules to ignite. That ignition will ALWAYS be at the wrong time!!! Whne your piston is on its way up, and the fuel ignites.... BOOM! Detonation. The number one killer of boosted motors.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a little insurance. You spend thousands on making the motor perform, but so many overlook the little things that KEEP it performing. I started designing these tanks after spending over 40 hours porting my head, 30 hours on gasket matching the intake manifold.... and so on.... After all that polishing and making it perfect, there was no way I wanted a single drop of crap ruining it all. So there was also no way I was going to make my tank like the others either. Most of the eBay garbage you see out there (the "economy" catch cans) are just empty aluminum boxes. They offer nothing for flow, nothing to actually catch the crud, and they look horrible! Dont be a cookie cutter follower and get something everyone else already has... design your own color combo, fitting location and the whole works. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANT!!!

Wow you definatly know your $hit! You will be pleased to hear then that I have addressed all of the weaknesses of the block w/ Titanium valve train, Weisco pistons, JE Arms, block guard and Eagle Crank. I have many more add-ons but theres too many to list. I havent bought my turbo yet but can I still buy a catch from you not knowing my turbo setup? It obviously comes down to price, I dont want to cheap out and I know you get what ya pay for so lets talk money brotha man.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey also can you help me out here and tell me what goes on these? Same area as the pic you sent me, to the left of the Oil filter and below the coolant line (black in your pic) It looks like the one stays open from your pic but what about the one with the two Ill call them "Nodes"?
I couldnt attach a pic to this sorry you gotta click the link: or you can search " 2000 civic si what goes here "
https://honda-tech.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1308510567

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2TrippleOhSi
Wow you definatly know your $hit! You will be pleased to hear then that I have addressed all of the weaknesses of the block w/ Titanium valve train, Weisco pistons, JE Arms, block guard and Eagle Crank. I have many more add-ons but theres too many to list. I havent bought my turbo yet but can I still buy a catch from you not knowing my turbo setup? It obviously comes down to price, I dont want to cheap out and I know you get what ya pay for so lets talk money brotha man.
Sounds like you know your stuff too! All the major items you listed are great for reliable power. The nice thing about the catch cans I offer is you can always expand them as your power level increases. You dont have to feel stuck with something to get you by for now. You can purchase one tank and be good to 400whp. Then later when you pass that level, you can add another tank to the system off the second port on the back of the block and be good to 800whp. Its also a benefit to not have to shell out several hundereds of dollars all at once.

You can add 2 bungs to the valve cover for connection to the catch can. Then just use one of the two fittings on the back of the block to get started. Reference Civic Steve-94 setup in the picture he posted. Notice one of them is plugged and the other two have the oil fittings. You can also get AN style fittings that are AN-10 size for a perfect connection.

Not knowing your turbo right now is fine. Since the system works with N/A as well, you wont have to make any changes when you get your snail.