Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic Passenger Window

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic Passenger Window

Is there a way to test the passenger window motor on a 2000 Civic to see if it is the motor, passenger door switch or driver door switch? I have removed the motor already.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-01-2018, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 Civic Passenger Window

To see if what's the motor, the passenger door switch, or driver door switch? Is the window not moving and not making any sound at all when you press the raise / lower window buttons?

If the driver-side power window is working properly then maybe you can plug the passenger-side switch into the driver side cable and test it there, if the connector for the driver-side window can fit in the passenger-side switch.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had a similar issue on my 99 civic, with the passenger side window. The issue with the power windows is they are all routed through the driver side switch, so you need to work backwards to find the problem.

1. Is it just the passenger side window, do all the other windows work?
2. If its just the passenger window, pull one of the known working window switches and plug it in.
3. If the other switches dont work; you need access to the window motor, unplug the 2 pin power connector to the motor and apply a 12v source to the pins, then reverse the positive / ground wire, this will tell you if the motor is working as it should go up / down, depending on where you have the 12v.
4. If the motor works, check the driver side switch, there is a test procedure in the FSM.
5. If the driver switch checks out you likely have a wiring issue.

In my case several of the wires going into the door plug were broken and needed to be replaced. Once I repaired the door harness it all worked good.

PS if you take the window motor / regulator out of the door be sure to follow the steps to realign the window.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kevs02Accord
Just had a similar issue on my 99 civic, with the passenger side window. The issue with the power windows is they are all routed through the driver side switch, so you need to work backwards to find the problem.

1. Is it just the passenger side window, do all the other windows work?
2. If its just the passenger window, pull one of the known working window switches and plug it in.
3. If the other switches dont work; you need access to the window motor, unplug the 2 pin power connector to the motor and apply a 12v source to the pins, then reverse the positive / ground wire, this will tell you if the motor is working as it should go up / down, depending on where you have the 12v.
4. If the motor works, check the driver side switch, there is a test procedure in the FSM.
5. If the driver switch checks out you likely have a wiring issue.

In my case several of the wires going into the door plug were broken and needed to be replaced. Once I repaired the door harness it all worked good.

PS if you take the window motor / regulator out of the door be sure to follow the steps to realign the window.
Did the wires break while you were working on the window, or some other way?
Old 10-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

To test motor, unplug from the harness and jump it to a battery. You can do this while it is still in the door. This is also a good way to close the window if it stopped working in the down position.

The wires in question are the ones that cross from the driver's door to the rest of the car. They flex every time that the door is opened and eventually break from metal fatigue. Often the copper is broken inside even though the outside of the wire looks OK.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Delicieuxz
Did the wires break while you were working on the window, or some other way?
No, they were broken from fatigue, like bending a paper clip back and forth, see below. I actually had 3 broken wires, power window and radio, although the radio was a bitch to figure out because it was still making contact and was intermittent.

Originally Posted by mk378
To test motor, unplug from the harness and jump it to a battery. You can do this while it is still in the door. This is also a good way to close the window if it stopped working in the down position.

The wires in question are the ones that cross from the driver's door to the rest of the car. They flex every time that the door is opened and eventually break from metal fatigue. Often the copper is broken inside even though the outside of the wire looks OK.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know the pin outs or have a snippet of the wiring diagram for the windows?

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FlyingTSX
Does anyone know the pin outs or have a snippet of the wiring diagram for the windows?

Thanks.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post51745020

Is that it?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the master switch test procedure.

I believe this is the door harness pin out
https://www.clubcivic.com/forum/thre...agrams.211797/

Make sure you get proper orientation, I believe that pic is looking at the harness from behind, so viewing from the front you need to reverse everything.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is helpful. I was looking for the window motor connector wire pins to test the motor.

Now I am thinking I have to spend some time looking at the driver door connector harness.