Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic Major Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic Major Electrical Issue

I'm entirely new to these forums and this is my first post. So far this is the only good place on the internet that seems helpful. I googled my issue multiple times and can't find any leads to my problem. If anyone can help me I would be grateful. I don't want to tow this thing into a shop if I can help it.

I have a 2000 Honda Civic HX that went completely dead on my way home. I had just bought the car and all the lights were working until I noticed dimming and brightening. Finally, the SRS light kept coming on, I smelled an almost battery acid smell, saw a flash, and everything went dead in an instant. I coasted the car to the side and ended up towing it home.
Replaced the battery and alternator as well as two headlights. I now notice EVERY bulb on the car was blown. In addition, my fuel injection fuse as well as my SRS one keeps popping as I turn the key to the accessory position. It tries to start but it will not turn over. Any clue of what could be the issue?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 Civic Major Electrical Issue

Originally Posted by SystemOfAnUp357
I'm entirely new to these forums and this is my first post. So far this is the only good place on the internet that seems helpful. I googled my issue multiple times and can't find any leads to my problem. If anyone can help me I would be grateful. I don't want to tow this thing into a shop if I can help it.

I have a 2000 Honda Civic HX that went completely dead on my way home. I had just bought the car and all the lights were working until I noticed dimming and brightening. Finally, the SRS light kept coming on, I smelled an almost battery acid smell, saw a flash, and everything went dead in an instant. I coasted the car to the side and ended up towing it home.
Replaced the battery and alternator as well as two headlights. I now notice EVERY bulb on the car was blown. In addition, my fuel injection fuse as well as my SRS one keeps popping as I turn the key to the accessory position. It tries to start but it will not turn over. Any clue of what could be the issue?
Sounds like there is a short......

A thorough inspection of all of your ground and major power supply wires is needed. You should be looking for wire looms/wires that have rubbed through on frame rails/aftermarket parts etc. Also look for heated or burnt electrical connections and replace as needed.

Seen this a bunch with previously crashed vehicles, and untastfully and improperly modded cars with budget aftermarket parts.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beecee18
Sounds like there is a short......

A thorough inspection of all of your ground and major power supply wires is needed. You should be looking for wire looms/wires that have rubbed through on frame rails/aftermarket parts etc. Also look for heated or burnt electrical connections and replace as needed.

Seen this a bunch with previously crashed vehicles, and untastfully and improperly modded cars with budget aftermarket parts.
Yeah I believe I fall into the category of your last sentence. I've checked over the grounds and they all seem fine. There is a terribly installed cruise control that did not even work and i'm not sure if that could potentially be a problem or not. Any place that you would suggest to check first? I found it strange that all the bulbs on my exterior lights blew. Would they be related at all to the wiring of the fuel system? I'm much more mechanically knowledgeable than I am electronically able.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Bad luck. Sounds like the alternator was bad and over-charging the system, leading to destruction of the battery and melting of some wires, which are now shorting to ground.

What specific fuses (numbers) are popping? Alternatively, post pictures of the popped fuses at their location in the fuse box(es).
Old 04-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Bad luck. Sounds like the alternator was bad and over-charging the system, leading to destruction of the battery and melting of some wires, which are now shorting to ground.

What specific fuses (numbers) are popping? Alternatively, post pictures of the popped fuses at their location in the fuse box(es).

Sometimes the battery itself shorts out internally and goes bonkers.

But with the path of destruction left behind I agree.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT

According to a guy at an auto shop he suspected my voltage regulator was bad on my alternator so that's why I replaced both that and the battery.

My FI e/m fuse under the hood keeps popping ( #44 the 15a fuse )
Also, my SRS fuse ( #23 ) Under the dash is popping.
The radio fuse ( #47 ) Initially did blow but is no longer a problem.

What I found most weird was that even though all of the bulbs in my car blew, none of the fuses related to my external lights were damaged. Replaced the headlight bulbs ( found out the other bulbs were blown after doing so ) and they work fine.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you still need pictures I can take them. Replaced all of the bulbs to my exterior lighting. I have yet to try and turn the key though.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE: All bulbs replaced and tried starting. Both fuses still pop. I believe you were correct about the overcharge.

Should I uninstall the aftermarket cruise control? Also, can you link a guide on how to do so properly?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

You stated you heard a pop, smelled a strange odor and saw a flash... this may be damage inside your ECU. Open it up and inspect the inside for damage... do you smell the odor that you smelled before ??? If so, try another ECU from a '99-00 civic. The ECU engine/model won't matter simply to see if it starts the car... any one you can find from a salvage yard from a '99-00 civic will do... or a really good friend who will lend you one even though the possibility exists that if there is wiring damage to the car, you may very well short out another ECU.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll check my ECU, but it was an acid like smell, and the battery was damaged. The smell no longer exists since I have taken out the battery and replaced it, but that doesn't mean that problem is resolved. Would that be making my fuses blow for the Fuel Injection and SRS?

I have no idea what to look for with the ECU. This is my first time dealing with anything related to this and it's also the first Civic I've owned. Is there something you could link to get me going?