Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic EX over heating,possible blown head gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic EX over heating,possible blown head gasket.

I am having over heating problems with 2000 Honda Civic EX D16y8, i am now thinking it might be the head gasket,i had posted about it somewhere else on the web,and they sent me here.

Here is what i my main post was:

It started as a small leak that leak a 1/4(mabye) of the coolant in about 2-3 weeks,unless i had to do a 75 mile trip(one way,with an hour or so before leaving agian) i have to make once a month,then it tended to needed refilled when we got back.

Well one day i needed to run down the street to the store,and i should of filled it before,but i forgot until after the engine was to hot to do it,well on the way home the temp jumped fast i pulled over as quick as i could but it did get to the red zone just as i pulled over.

I waited ten minutes before starting the car and heading home,it was still really hot(but not in red zone)and i rushed home and it hit the red zone agian as i pulled into the driveway. When it was trying to over heat i did turn on the heater.

I left it sitting till the next day i filled the radiator and left for work ten miles away,about a 1 a half miles from work it started to go up,i would pull into work with the temp at about 6/8ths, and i would need to fill it right after work.

After about a week of being careful dealing with it,and trying to look for where the leak was(no visible leak when the car is running in the drivway),a friend suggested to fill the overflow when i fill the radiator,now with doing that the car lasts about 25 miles before it starts to go up.
It does not like sitting at lights it will heat up no matter how long ago i filled the coolant.

Now the weird part,it seems like that car cools better when at higher RPM's,now i have only just started to notice it so i have barely gotten to test it,but last night when i got home i left the car running at idle until the temp started to go up,once it started to go up i revved to 3k(or so) RPM's and the temp dropped back down,i was unable to test more cause it was late and i did not want to wake the neighbors.

What do you guys think could be the problem? What can i do to fix it?

This was what i had posted,the only thing i have to add is that i ran it at idle with the radiator cap off and the coolant was bubbling away,i added more to top it off,and it kept bubbling.

What would you guys suggest to keep it running for the next 3 month?(income tax time is then)
Then i can park it and get a chepo car to use,and then save up the money to fix my honda,because the all the repairs that have popped up in the last 6 months,including this one lol,will cost more than i get from my income tax.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:59 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2000 Civic EX over heating,possible blown head gasket.

Turning on the heater doesn't really do much of anything when you don't have any coolant in the system. Unfortunately, there is no legitimate way to solve a head gasket problem "short term". Any fix in a bottle is snake oil, and will only do more harm than good in the long run.

Buy/borrow/rent a block tester, and use it to confirm exhaust gas in your coolant. That'll confirm a blown head gasket. Once that's confirmed, you'll need to replace the head gasket. While the head is off (and given your proclivity for overheating it, it'll need to go to a machine shop for planing), also replace the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and all related hardware. Do it once, do it right.

As long as you didn't do any major block damage, this is all a relatively affordable process. A Felpro head gasket kit is $90 (I haven't personally used Felpro, but I've heard good things for budget, non-performance rebuilds). A Gates timing belt kit is $65. Machine work will probably cost $50-$100, and yes, you should assume that you'll need it. Some basic hand tools, a torque wrench, and a small tube of HondaBond, and you can do your own head gasket and timing belt job for under $300. And yes, this is something you should do sooner rather than later. You're literally driving on a hope and a prayer, with how often you're overheating that poor engine.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:08 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was it overheating while you were adding? the fact that it cools at higher rpm points to water pump
Old 10-27-2015, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Turning on the heater doesn't really do much of anything when you don't have any coolant in the system. Unfortunately, there is no legitimate way to solve a head gasket problem "short term". Any fix in a bottle is snake oil, and will only do more harm than good in the long run.

Buy/borrow/rent a block tester, and use it to confirm exhaust gas in your coolant. That'll confirm a blown head gasket. Once that's confirmed, you'll need to replace the head gasket. While the head is off (and given your proclivity for overheating it, it'll need to go to a machine shop for planing), also replace the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and all related hardware. Do it once, do it right.

As long as you didn't do any major block damage, this is all a relatively affordable process. A Felpro head gasket kit is $90 (I haven't personally used Felpro, but I've heard good things for budget, non-performance rebuilds). A Gates timing belt kit is $65. Machine work will probably cost $50-$100, and yes, you should assume that you'll need it. Some basic hand tools, a torque wrench, and a small tube of HondaBond, and you can do your own head gasket and timing belt job for under $300. And yes, this is something you should do sooner rather than later. You're literally driving on a hope and a prayer, with how often you're overheating that poor engine.
I have been doing my best not to overheat it,but where i live there is no plubic transit near me,the closest but stop is 3.4 miles away,that is at LEAST a 2 hour walk for me,and i work a full time job.

I will have to wait about 3 weeks before i can afford to spend that much,because rent is next paycheck,and they won't be ok with waiting a paycheck.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
was it overheating while you were adding? the fact that it cools at higher rpm points to water pump
when i noticed the bubbles it was not overheating i topped it off because when i started it the coolant level dropped a little bit.

Also during all this time it has only gotten to the red zone twice,but only because i could not pull over quicker,other wise i pull over to let it cool if it goes over 3/4.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:16 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Losing coolant, having to rev high to drop temps....

This is a mix of problems and one of them has been confirmed to be the water pump failing. The other does sound like a headgasket issue but what I've found is that it might already be too late to fix, you might need to check the head AND block for warpage. This is from an experience I had with my sisters integra. She neglect it so damn much I had no choice but to replace the engine to save myself the headache.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Losing coolant, having to rev high to drop temps....

This is a mix of problems and one of them has been confirmed to be the water pump failing. The other does sound like a headgasket issue but what I've found is that it might already be too late to fix, you might need to check the head AND block for warpage. This is from an experience I had with my sisters integra. She neglect it so damn much I had no choice but to replace the engine to save myself the headache.
So it might be a good idea to park it(until i decide what to do with it),and mabye try to sell something for a down payment on a different used car?
Old 10-27-2015, 06:41 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or get a bicycle You really shouldn't keep driving that car until you fix it. Like I said, running on a hope and a prayer as it is now.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by trainergames
So it might be a good idea to park it(until i decide what to do with it),and mabye try to sell something for a down payment on a different used car?

When members start asking questions like this I tend to say "it is up to you". Not everyone is able to afford a new car w/ monthly payments.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
When members start asking questions like this I tend to say "it is up to you". Not everyone is able to afford a new car w/ monthly payments.
I would not be getting a new car i would be getting a used one,the one i am looking at is only $4k.

Also while i don't make a lot($450-$550 every 2 weeks)i currently live with my sister rent free(as long as i drive places lol),and my only bills are car insurance and phone.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Water-pump check (make and post video): With engine cold remove radiator cap, start car and allow to run until thermostat opens and watch the coolant flow within the radiator. During idle coolant flow should be a mild current flowing in one direction. Rev the engine to above 3500 rpm and coolant should be moving be moving swiftly in one direction. If there's little to no current flow then most likely a failing or failed water pump.
** Do not put your face too close or directly over radiator neck.

With aluminum heads you cannot mess around with coolant loss. If you knew you had a leak of any kind the time to address was before it got to this point. Obviously, you know that now and you are more than likely looking at $300 to $500 DIY head gasket repair.
Hopefully, it turns out to be only the water-pump but, from your description of what lead up to the symptoms you're engine is having it's leaning towards a breached HG.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
Water-pump check (make and post video): With engine cold remove radiator cap, start car and allow to run until thermostat opens and watch the coolant flow within the radiator. During idle coolant flow should be a mild current flowing in one direction. Rev the engine to above 3500 rpm and coolant should be moving be moving swiftly in one direction. If there's little to no current flow then most likely a failing or failed water pump.
** Do not put your face too close or directly over radiator neck.

With aluminum heads you cannot mess around with coolant loss. If you knew you had a leak of any kind the time to address was before it got to this point. Obviously, you know that now and you are more than likely looking at $300 to $500 DIY head gasket repair.
Hopefully, it turns out to be only the water-pump but, from your description of what lead up to the symptoms you're engine is having it's leaning towards a breached HG.
I have to go to work right now,but i will make and post it tomarrow.