Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic EX Antenna Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic EX Antenna Problem

I just purchased a used 2000 Civic EX which is in near perfect condition but it had a sound system in it before the dealer got it in trade. The previous owner apparently more or less ripped out the system components by cutting many of the wires and directly slicing them together in the back of the head unit and trimming back any wires leading to the amplifier in the trunk. However I don't get much reception at all. It must be manually pulled out (it may be motorized but it isn't working if it is) and i can get some AM stations but receive no FM signal strong enough to lock onto even though there are plenty in the area. I checked to see that it was connected in the back of the head unit (DHD's NTX-8055CD) and it was connected. Any thoughts on what could be causing this problem?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Civic EX Antenna Problem

Originally Posted by Mackln308
I just purchased a used 2000 Civic EX which is in near perfect condition but it had a sound system in it before the dealer got it in trade. The previous owner apparently more or less ripped out the system components by cutting many of the wires and directly slicing them together in the back of the head unit and trimming back any wires leading to the amplifier in the trunk. However I don't get much reception at all. It must be manually pulled out (it may be motorized but it isn't working if it is) and i can get some AM stations but receive no FM signal strong enough to lock onto even though there are plenty in the area. I checked to see that it was connected in the back of the head unit (DHD's NTX-8055CD) and it was connected. Any thoughts on what could be causing this problem?
First, it depends on if your car is a coupe or sedan. Since it's an EX, I can narrow it down to that.

All '99-'00 Civic sedans (besides the GX) have the antenna in the rear window.

All other '96-'00 Civics (coupes, hatches and other sedans) have the antenna in the driver's A-pillar.

Okay, technically some sedans in other parts of the world have antennas in the rear quarter panel. This antenna is probably power because of (1) it's location and (2) this would explain the half antenna buttons for 6th gens (I believe they had them, or another Civic variant did - such as the Orthia).

This USDM antenna is a manual antenna.

If you're having poor reception then the antenna has probably come unplugged from the back of the radio or you need to pull the antenna out.

I would recommend lubing the antenna. They seem to have a tendency of getting stuck in the car. The antenna extends about three feet long out of the car.

If that's not the problem, I would think a cut or break somewhere.

I have noticed some radios in cars, when on seek, don't seem to want to latch onto any radio stations or only latch onto what must be the strongest stations even though many others are clear.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is a coupe and is mounted just above the driver's side window and travels down the left side of the windshield like you mentioned previously. I checked the back of the head unit and is connected and the connections are clean. I removed the mount and pulled the antenna out to make sure the antenna was connected underneath and there appeared to be a good connection. The antenna is free to move and i had it fully extended at the time of all the checks. The only thing I can think of is that the coaxial cable may be open but if that is not the case, then I am not sure. I will work on checking that as we speak, but have any other ideas of possibilities? I'm hoping it isn't the coax because I do not want to run more cable!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, just a thought..... I was wondering what anyone thinks about whether the FM receiver or demodulation component could be fried or not operating properly? Not sure how these particular head units work, but seems a possibility with my experience (just never happened with automobiles).